2015 Gauntlet Recap & Review Thread

Im not exactly sure we can talk about it lol but if you saw JRod's driver it was the same thing
This. I may have already said too much.

Im not exactly sure we can talk about it lol but if you saw JRod's driver it was the same thing

Nothing to see here.... move along everyone...

After a few years off of being on golf forums, and finally finding my way back here, I'd like to say that reading through this thread has convinced me to become an Albatross Club member next year. The fun and camaraderie that's coming from everyone's posts and write ups single-handedly convinced me that I need to take part in a THP event next year! Great thread, great posts by all.

No sir, that is contraband.

After a few years off of being on golf forums, and finally finding my way back here, I'd like to say that reading through this thread has convinced me to become an Albatross Club member next year. The fun and camaraderie that's coming from everyone's posts and write ups single-handedly convinced me that I need to take part in a THP event next year! Great thread, great posts by all.

Still time to enter The Grandaddy contests for the all expenses trip of a lifetime playing with these same people. Plenty of spots still available for that team.

I love being able to catch up like this. It's crazy to think how so much can happen in such a short time with everyone.

What an awesome event this was! Finally getting to posting some of my thoughts and recap of the weekend.

The weekend started off on Friday morning when I met PhillyV and hickerad at Phil's house to start the trek to Chicago. I had played with both guys in the past, but a 5 hour drive is a good way to get to know someone with nothing else to distract you along the way. After a quick stop at Three Floyds in Indiana, and Phil trying to pick up that old lady in the yellow car, we made our way into the Chicago area. Naturally, we made a stop at the PGA Tour Superstore to pick up some last minute supplies and clubs. After we got to the hotel and checked in, and a quick visit to JB's room, just hung out with a bunch of THPers up in our room. Ethan made his way up there as well, which was awesome. Not quite as many guys in there as at the Pittsburgh invitational, but a fun time nonetheless. When the time came, team Rhi made their way down to Giordano's in Naperville. I was pumped for some deep dish, as I hadn't had any since we moved away from Chicago. On our way in, RFC was there shaking hands with everyone as we came in. What a nice guy! After some awesome food, we got to find out our pairings. Our team had discussed pairings a little bit, but our captain Rhiona was way ahead of us, pairing us up exactly how we thought. I was paired with BrianMK24 taking on mancest and bendalby. Then the takeover of the hotel lobby happened. All the THPers and zoocrew were hanging out at the lobby bar, we brought down some beers. Team Rhi was doing some team bonding in the corner over some Taylor Swift, when I saw the Malort come out. I knew where this was going. I think this was my third shot of Malort, and it still causes the Malort face. After some more drinks and fun, it was time to rest up for a big Saturday.

Saturday, we made our way to Cog Hill. After some confusion about where to go by the barn, we started our session with Roger Cleveland. It was really awesome learning about his wedges, and learning how to use them. While we were practicing with the new MD3s, I was in a bunker, and Roger came in there and gave me some pointers! His tips ended up being useful over the weekend. Some good range tag team time sharing a spot with Rhiona and it was time to tee off. We were the last group to tee off, so there was a little less pressure with fewer people watching, but you wouldn't know it from my tee shot! We were underway! On the front nine, it was a bit of a struggle off the tee for me. Brian was able to bail me out when I was wayward. Although we struggled a bit, we were staying in the match, leading at the turn. On the back, mancest and bendalby got onto a great roll. The hole of the match for me was the par 4 15th. Brian and I were in the right rough with shots at the green, mancest and bendalby were in the trees left and in jail. Both mancest and bendalby hit amazing shots, somehow finding the green. Then bendalby drained his 40 footer for a birdie, net eagle! We won the next hole to keep the match going, but just couldn't get the comeback done. What a blast that round was. We all had some struggles, but everyone fought their butts off. As usual, great shots were treated with high fives and "good shots" even from our opponents. I hate to lose, but bendalby and mancest just straight up outplayed us.

We had a little time before Top Golf, where we would have some appetizers and drinks, so I took Miller Time and Brianmk24 to Portillo's for a little Chicago cooking. I ended up having a handful of transactions there as the chocolate cake shake orders kept coming in on my phone and forum. At least the credit card company didn't suspect any fraud!

Top Golf was straight up awesome! I had been a number of times at Chicago's other location, but the new one in Naperville is way better. Between the food and drinks, zoo crew and THPers, and all around silliness, you couldn't have asked for more fun. It was a good time to get to know my captain a little more, as we would end up not being paired to play together. Rhi, thanks for the chat! Don't know if you heard, but my wife ended up quitting her job Monday, and hearing about your story made me feel a lot better about it all.

After introducing MT, cbaker 2882, and Brian to the wonders of Illinois Target, where you can buy most any booze imaginable, we made it back to the hotel lobby for some more fun.

Sunday. Big day of golf ahead. Miller Time and I were paired up against yoAJyo and Amart. We had a bit of a snafu leaving the hotel, as PhillyV tried to sabotage us by taking my car keys with him on the way to the course. After a quick phone call and some waiting, we were able to get going. Again, I was in the last group off the tee, so a bit of waiting after the range. AJ and I got to the clubhouse for a little swing juice, and Amart got the tunes going on the first tee. A little karaoke with Rhi and AJ followed. And I can't forget my "dance moves" which were clearly hindered by my spikes. Before we knew it, we were next on the tee. It was a good match from the beginning. Good up and downs, some bomb putts, and some good ham and egging by both teams had no one up by more than 1 until the turn. On the back nine, Miller Time and I got on a bit of a streak, starting with a birdie, net birdie, and 4 pars in a row to get us to one up through 15, but AJ and AMart were able to recover and just snuck out the win in the end. Before we knew it, the Gauntlet was over. Team JRod had a well earned victory, and Phil had his ticket punched to the Grandaddy! A great weekend of golf was over. Lots of fun, and a lot of great memories.

A few shout outs:

Miller Time: yay or nay?

BrianMK24: "Who the **** is this!?!?!"

Rhiona: I want it that way!

AJ: That was the best bloody mary ever!

Ethan: Show me your Malort face and I'll show you mine.

ScottyG: That's wedgucation! I can't believe you remembered everything about how I floated into my job at the King last year. That meant a lot!

PhillyV: I'm so freaking proud of you dude! You played your guts out!

Drp: It was great seeing you again buddy. I'm glad everything is going so well for you and the family.

Hickerad: Just in case.

I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. I am so glad I was able to attend, meet some new THPers and zoo crew, and to see everyone I'd met before again.

Josh and Morgan, thanks for everything you do for us here! Without you, none of this would be possible.

CC out!

Lol great recap. Just in case..... You never know!!

After introducing MT, cbaker 2882, and Brian to the wonders of Illinois Target, where you can buy most any booze imaginable, we made it back to the hotel lobby for some more fun.

Being from PA and having state-owned liquor stores and then going to school in NJ and finding what seemed to be a liquor store on every corner, this still surprises me a little. Unfortunately, I only got one quart of Gatorade on the Target trip and after chugging it on the tee box Sunday morning, I wish I would have gotten about three more.

Last edited:
Lol great recap. Just in case..... You never know!!
Hey you still never know....maybe guys!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's really too bad we don't have a meet up at Giordanos tonight.

First apologies for me taking so long to get this done as work has managed to get in the way this week. Writing this recap reminds of how difficult it is to write one, because it means another incredible event has come to an end. I want to start by saying the Gauntlet should absolutely live on and say a huge thank you to JB, Morgan and the ZooCrew for such an incredible event.

Friday started with AMart and I hitting the road to Chicago, stopping at Midway to pick up Miller Time and off to Cog Hill we went. Realizing we had more time than originally thought, we tried to sneak in a quick 9 – course was full. Proceeded to head to the range and practice green before heading to the hotel. After checking in, get a text from Miller Time that they are hanging out.

If any examples were ever needed to see how cool the ZooCrew is, I arrive to the hotel room to witness several THPers and Ethan all hanging out and talking.

Eventually heading to the meet and greet, everyone arrives. Here come the Zoocrew and Roger Cleveland. Rhiona and Scotty G come over and sit at our table. I know a lot has been said about Rhi already, but what impresses me the most about her – whether she has met you before or meeting you for the first time – she treats you like a friend that she has known for the last 20 years.

Deep dish pizza is phenomenal and I can finally check that off my list of things to try. The pairings for Saturday are announced and Scotty G and I are taking on DNevs and AdamW - this is going to be fun!

Back at the hotel, Ethan and JB call me over to do a shot… of Malort. Memo to self: next time JB starts to video Ethan, anyone else or myself doing a shot - it isn’t going to be good. Andit wasn’t any good. The next hour or so was spent watching people getting pulled in for a shot of Malort and then laughing at their reactions. A.J. and Wardy were the best of the night by far.

Breakfast on Saturday morning starts with Roger Cleveland asking myself and Mancest to join him. Nowhere else does that happen – only here at THP!

On to Cog Hill we head straight to a short game area that was second to none and completely away from rest of the practice area. Wedgeducated by Roger, we get our new MD3 wedge and head to the range. Our match is the first group out and first tee jitters were there. Off we go and right from the start DNevs was throwing darts. During my breakfast that morning, Roger found out that DNevs was my match and warned me that he was playing really well. Scouting report was pretty accurate. AdamW was joining in on the fun, Scotty and I tried to match them, but they were a tough match. Eventually… well quickly they defeat us.

About the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] or 5[SUP]th[/SUP] hole Scotty finds out that Cog Hill is Adam’s home course and the look on his face was pretty funny. DNevs responds to Scotty with “ Hey.. I know how to pick my team. “

Not sure when, might have been around the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] or 9[SUP]th[/SUP] hole, it became the battle of the bands between the carts. We won that match hands down.

Around the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] or 15[SUP]th[/SUP] hole, Scotty asks me if I want some homemade vodka lemonade. Just as I am taking a drink he says, “oh yeah I might have been a little light on the lemonade”.

As for my captain, Scotty G is easily one of the coolest people I have met. Absolutely enjoyed our round and it was nice to have another lefty in the cart with me and he was pretty gracious to let me hit a few of his clubs during the round.

Towards the end of the round we started picking DNevs brain on Aimpointe and the last few holes became on the course lesson. JB notices me trying out Aimpointe on 18 and says, “Don’t let JRod see you do that..”. I found out later at Top Golf why.

Top Golf was flat out awesome and I am already wishing there will be one in Indy soon. Good food and fun with everyone – the stuff your own doughnuts were fantastic. It gave me a chance to get to spend more time with my teammates and also gave me a chance to hang with my one teammate I didn't play a round with - Bendabley. It was great meeting you!

I think it was JB that pointed out that only internet golfers wear their gloves at Top Golf and just about every THPer had one on- myself included. Afterwards back at the hotel we took over the lobby again, and surprisingly the Malort stood by itself.

Sunday brought a tough match up. Mancest and I got the task of taking on JRod and Philly V. Having played in a match with JRod at the Grandaddy, and knowing how good Phil is; I knew it was going to be a tough match up. On the very first hole, I found out very quickly one of the keys to Dubsdread – keeping your drive in the fairway. Found the front of a bunker on my drive and that pretty much summed up my day. Mancest on the other hand played one helluva round and was the reason we had any points on the day. In addition to be a pretty good golfer, Mancest was just an absolute blast to share the round with. Roger it was great getting to know you and I look forward to teeing it up again in the future.

JRod was well… JRod. Always positive on the golf course and a great person – it was a blast to be able to play again with him. I consider myself very fortunate to be able to say that. On top of that he played some freaking great golf, so Team Redemption – lookout! And that driver – oh man I want one of them – just in a left handed version. At the Periscope on the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] green (I think it was 16) was pure gold.

I also got a front seat to Philly V’s MVP performance. I heard he played well on Saturday, but Sunday he kicked into another gear. His up and down for par on #2 was once of the best I have ever seen. His putter was scorching hot on the front 9 and his overall play was fantastic. Congrats again on the MVP! It was more than well deserved, and I look forward to you giving the #Zoocrew hell in December.

Congrats again to Team JRod on winning the Gauntlet!

To the all of the other THPers I haven’t mentioned. For some it was great to see you again. For others it was great to meet you for the first time. Thanks again JB and Morgan for such an amazing weekend. I doubt this recap fully captures how much fun I had.

Last edited:
Aaron you are one of the good ones my friend. Its always good seeing you and even better when we get to tee it up!

Back at the hotel, Ethan and JB call me over to do a shot… of Malort. Memo to self: next time JB starts to video Ethan, anyone else or myself doing a shot - it isn’t going to be good. Andit wasn’t any good. The next hour or so was spent watching people getting pulled in for a shot of Malort and then laughing at their reactions. A.J. and Wardy were the best of the night by far.

AJ's reaction was awesome. He came back over to the other side of the lobby, with a yoohoo...and no straw. Just sucking the yoohoo out saying "do work yoohoo" with a look of concern on his face hahaha. I knew exactly what had just happened.

AJ's reaction was awesome. He came back over to the other side of the lobby, with a yoohoo...and no straw. Just sucking the yoohoo out saying "do work yoohoo" with a look of concern on his face hahaha. I knew exactly what had just happened.
Hahaha.. Oh it was better before that. Right after he drank the Malort, he looked over at Ethan and I am paraphrasing when I say he said " I hate you.."..

The moment he shoots it.

"Fu** you guys"

So good haha

The moment he shoots it.

"Fu** you guys"

So good haha
Pretty sure he threw a "You guys are d***s!" in there as well lol

Ohhhh AJ.

Just finished catching up on all the recaps, so much awesome in here.

Just watched the video for like the 5,000th time. What a freaking great weekend

#THPMajorSeries - There is really nothing like it anywhere.

Dude me effing too. I watch it at least once a day lol. SO much fun. And JB got a picture of me where I made the putt!

Can you believe that little over a week ago we were getting wedgucated by this OG... What an unreal experience.
1117dd0db55ac8fb6b53211d3fd57722.jpg

Best golf I played all weekend was out of that trap I should have just quit after that haha!

That week seems so long ago. Man I miss Cog Hill.

Walking around Giant eagle and backstreet boys came on. Reminds me of this thread!

Back