Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shot a 58 today. Not too bad for not having played in two weeks. Couple of really bad holes with multiple penalties destroyed any hope of a decent score, but it was better than staring at the rain.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Fell off the horse pretty hard Monday. What to do? Get right back up on the horse.

Played 18 yesterday and it was much, much better. Not sure about Monday - think I was way too "thoughtful." My head was full of thoughts about a drill my instructor had given me. "Are your arms right? What's your leg doing?" Disaster. Tried to clear my mind as much as possible. I have that Tour Tempo Book with CD and it has a metronome count to get your rhythm right. So I listened to that and put everything else out of my mind but the count. Also tried to pull the trigger faster. Don't stand over the ball forever thinking of everything you're supposed to do - step up, line up, play that metronome beat in your head and hit it.

It paid huge dividends. Went out in 61 and if I could putt it'd been better. Came back in 53 and finished with three bogies in a row. Was putting for birdie on 16 (and managed to make a bogey when my par putt lipped out!). Found my 5h and hit it great. Striped a 240 yard drive with my 3w (with an uphill roll!). Really played great down the stretch there and most importantly of all did not have a bunch of flubs, mishits and generally terrible shots. It was a great round I needed badly.

Thanks for the encouragement here. 114 is pretty good for me but not where I want to be. I'm going to get to that 99!

Nice!

Overthinking is what you do during practice, not during the round. Sounds like you figured that one out. :D

Went out for the first time this past Sunday and shot a 110 (+56) on a local par 3 course including 52 putts. So no, I didn't do well and who knows what I would've shot had it been a normal course, but you gotta start somewhere though. Anyway, I did make par on 9 and 10 so I was just thankful for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally did it today after two years of work! Shot a PB 47 47 for a 94! So thrilled. Now, redouble the efforts and stay there!

Congrats and great choice of avatar from another MCFC fan.

After my horrible 124 last weekend, there was a lot more to be happy with todays score (111). Around the green there is more to improve though.

104 today. Started snowman on the first two holes, but got back in it with par on the third. Some solid play and a lot of putts was just tap in.

Played 9 holes Par 30 today after work and ended up with 52 for (+22). Small signs of improvement (very small) but I'll take it. Gotta figure out the short game though. Glad to get out there again before the season ends.

103 today. I had a rough day with the putter.

After breaking a 100 twice a couple weeks ago, everything is back to normal, been shooting 106-110 ever since. This is a game I hate to love.

52 this morning, and that was with getting up and down for par (sandie) on #1. Especially liked the second time in a row I chipped in on #8 for double bogey. Why so bad? If I wasn't hitting my 4i off the tee, I was horrid with the driver. I need to leave the damn thing at home. If I can consistently stay in the short grass, about 180 off the tee with my 4i, I don't see why I'm bothering with the driver ... though it does piss me off that I can't hit what should be the easiest club in the bag, and it's become a bit of a "I'll do this if it kills me!" sort of attitude.

More practice is the answer ... in the meantime I may move up a set of tee's next time I go out and go exclusively 4i or 5h off the tee and see what that gets me. At least the iron striking had been decent ... hate to think what would happen if that starts going south too. Actually, if that happens I bet my tee game will be spot on.

52 this morning, and that was with getting up and down for par (sandie) on #1. Especially liked the second time in a row I chipped in on #8 for double bogey. Why so bad? If I wasn't hitting my 4i off the tee, I was horrid with the driver. I need to leave the damn thing at home. If I can consistently stay in the short grass, about 180 off the tee with my 4i, I don't see why I'm bothering with the driver ... though it does piss me off that I can't hit what should be the easiest club in the bag, and it's become a bit of a "I'll do this if it kills me!" sort of attitude.

More practice is the answer ... in the meantime I may move up a set of tee's next time I go out and go exclusively 4i or 5h off the tee and see what that gets me. At least the iron striking had been decent ... hate to think what would happen if that starts going south too. Actually, if that happens I bet my tee game will be spot on.

All I tee off with is a 4I or a 7I ( if I'm having trouble hitting the ball), I enjoy/play a lot better if I'm hitting from the fairway lol.

Debating on what to do with the top of my bag. I think for the next few rounds, I'm going to move up a set of tee's to play at right around 5300 yards. For the most part that will mean I'm solely using my irons off the tee box. It'll allow me to focus on that aspect of my game and not worry about my woods (driver and fairway woods) for the time being until I can really get a lesson in and find suitable practice time to hone that skill.

So I know I have a reliable option in my 4i, but I want another option, in particular one I can hit off the deck. I was thinking of putting in a 3H, specifically my 588 Altitude 3H. Or going with something new, but the ones I'm looking at may not be better options for me (Adams Pro, W/S M3, Adams Super LS). If I stick with the Altitude, I'm not a fan of the ActionLite graphite shaft and was thinking of maybe putting an Aldila or Mistubishi (Kuro Kage or Bassara) hybrid shaft in there instead. I think that would also allow me to use it as a replacement for my 6 hyron which is predominantly my "punch out" club. Any ideas?

it is functionally impossible for all parts of your game to be operative at the same time. if such ever happens the universe immediately implodes.

Debating on what to do with the top of my bag. I think for the next few rounds, I'm going to move up a set of tee's to play at right around 5300 yards. For the most part that will mean I'm solely using my irons off the tee box. It'll allow me to focus on that aspect of my game and not worry about my woods (driver and fairway woods) for the time being until I can really get a lesson in and find suitable practice time to hone that skill.

So I know I have a reliable option in my 4i, but I want another option, in particular one I can hit off the deck. I was thinking of putting in a 3H, specifically my 588 Altitude 3H. Or going with something new, but the ones I'm looking at may not be better options for me (Adams Pro, W/S M3, Adams Super LS). If I stick with the Altitude, I'm not a fan of the ActionLite graphite shaft and was thinking of maybe putting an Aldila or Mistubishi (Kuro Kage or Bassara) hybrid shaft in there instead. I think that would also allow me to use it as a replacement for my 6 hyron which is predominantly my "punch out" club. Any ideas?

my driver is on pretty near permanent vacation. it's sole function is to hold my Ohio State headcover (an important job, to be sure!). I'm hitting a TaylorMade Jetspeed 3W off the tee and the thing is just incredible. Fairly regularly out drive other guys in my group who hit driver and it's straight as an arrow. I love it.

Well, it looks like 103 is the closest I'm going to get this year. I've got to figure out a way to get the speed limit on the road to improvement raised. It seems like I can only go 25 but I want to go 85.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Dude. Move up a set of tees to 5300 and you can shoot 90 easily, at least that's what the math says.

If you set the goal at 90 (go a little low, it's ok), given a 5300 yard course and assuming you're going to use about 36 strokes putting, that means you have 54 strokes to cover the 5300 yards. That means 54 98 yard shots will cover the course. Of course you're not going to do that, but just to prove to yourself that you have the ability to shoot 90, there is no reason in the world why you couldn't tee off with a 5, 6 or even 7 iron if that's what you know you can keep in play and still break 45 per side.

Now, if I would only take my own advice, and apply it to my game, I should be able to consistently break 90. But I won't.... I never do.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Now, if I would only take my own advice, and apply it to my game, I should be able to consistently break 90. But I won't.... I never do.

I'm in the same boat. I enjoy more from improving my game than shooting lower scores.

I'm in the same boat. I enjoy more from improving my game than shooting lower scores.

I hope to manage both at the same time ... improve my iron game and shoot better scores in the process.

I understand. As frustrating as hitting a tee shot OB or into a penalty is, I don't feel better by pulling it from the bag and hitting an iron into the fairway. I'm super competitive, especially against myself, and feel like that is just settling versus improving.

Many argue that you should settle with what you have on the course and focus on improving on the range, but I think it's more complicated than that. I get in a groove and hit consistent straight-ish (would be in-play) shots with the driver on the range all the time, but still struggle at times on the course.

I don't think hitting a shorter club off the tee vs driver is really settling. If your driver is going wild and not even staying in bounds, then you are only hurting yourself playing it. Go shorter and stay in play. If the shot turns out better, then that's the opposite of settling IMO, it's playing smart.

I don't think hitting a shorter club off the tee vs driver is really settling. If your driver is going wild and not even staying in bounds, then you are only hurting yourself playing it. Go shorter and stay in play. If the shot turns out better, then that's the opposite of settling IMO, it's playing smart.

It reminds me of the phrases "one man's trash, another man's treasure" or "different strokes for different folks". It depends on what drives you in the game. Some people focus solely on score and look like an unfolding lawn chair while shooting decent scores. That just doesn't keep me interested in the game. I want to really improve my swing with all clubs. If I do that eventually the lower scores will come.

It's not like you have to do it every round. It's just a means of teaching you that you have the ability to break 100 or even 90 and that it's not as difficult as we make it on ourselves.

When I was shooting 103-108 every round and couldn't break through the 100 mark, my instructor made me play 9 holes with an 8 iron, 54* wedge and putter only. I shot a 46 and it made me look at the game a bit different. My next round out with all of my clubs, I shot a 95 or 96. It was just what I needed to break through.

I will still go out after work with just my irons and play from the forward tees from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

It reminds me of the phrases "one man's trash, another man's treasure" or "different strokes for different folks". It depends on what drives you in the game. Some people focus solely on score and look like an unfolding lawn chair while shooting decent scores. That just doesn't keep me interested in the game. I want to really improve my swing with all clubs. If I do that eventually the lower scores will come.

So one driver swing every couple holes will help you improve? You don't use your driver enough during a round to ever improve on course with it IMO. Putting and wedges sure. Full swings with irons even. But you're going to use a driver what, 6-10 times during the round? You're not going to get better on that few of swings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back