Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedges Preview

I am seriously thinking of trading in the APEX Hybrid on a 64 deg. with the 125 recoil shaft installed.

Still really wanting a PM 64. I saw one on CPO for like 110, but unfortunately just do not have the extra money to spend on one :(

Picked up a 60* today.

See how it goes. Still have the 58* K grind sm5 on call though

This is why this wedge works. Absolutely awful lie today with the ball dug into the deep grass, but I was short sided so I wanted to open a club all of the way and lay it down flat.

Doing this does two things. First it means the ball will pop up if done well, but second, you are going to hit the face high and towards the toe (and get filthy). Many wedges doing this leads to a near knuckle ball coming out (flyer) because there are no grooves to channel the dirt and grime away.

This shot ended up 3 feet from the pin playing with a fellow THPer today.

b734c1f5c90be9ba9372edde6e276784.jpg

The update thread really got the PM grind ponder going again today. It's time to replace the J40s and I think the PM will be taking the place of the 58*.

I love my PM Grind. I honestly hope that the come out with a Matte Black version in the near future because I will be all over it!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I love my PM Grind. I honestly hope that the come out with a Matte Black version in the near future because I will be all over it!

Ooh... I like what you are thinking. That is why I might go MD3 W when I replace my 58*... I love that finish.

I picked up a PM Grind 58* today to give a go. I really enjoy trying new things in the short game so this should be some fun.

Ooh... I like what you are thinking. That is why I might go MD3 W when I replace my 58*... I love that finish.
I love the finish especially when I paired my other wedges with these shafts and grips...now I need the PM Grind to match and I'll be in heaven.
a64585366fba13e2b324a08d386fa65b.jpg

Nice update JB. That's why I love my PM Grind too. I would buy a matte black version in a second. The MD3 finish is solid.

The update thread really got the PM grind ponder going again today. It's time to replace the J40s and I think the PM will be taking the place of the 58*.

Are you going to Tobacco Road this weekend? You're welcome to try my 58 as much as you want.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Are you going to Tobacco Road this weekend? You're welcome to try my 58 as much as you want.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I won't be able to make it unfortunately. Next time we play, I may have to take a few swings with it. The design just seems so versatile and confidence-inspiring around the greens. Not playing as much, those sound like really good features to me.

I am looking forward to seeing if Callaway will update this club with a new version. It is probably my favorite club.

I think this 60 is going back in the bag. Im really comfortable and really solid with the md3 60w, but the versatility in this is just redonkulous.

I know its been discussed a bit before, just hate to read thru 10 miles of threads but how is the PM grind on full shots? I have the x forged 52,56,60 and 64. before that my eye2 copper wedges. I looked at getting the MD3 for this upcoming year in either 54/56, then 60. I read about the versatility on the PM and picked up a 64 and 60. Haven't taken the plastic off yet, would really like some affirmation that on full shots I should get the same distance I would from the MD3.

I didn't pull the trigger on the 56 yet...was wondering if this year they might come out with a 54 but it looks like " no". What are your thoughts on bending a 56 PM to 54 if gapping suggests it?

I use it for full shots with no problems. Mine is the 58 degree model. My distance with is pretty identical to what I was getting wtih my 58 RTX 2.0 CB.

I use it for full shots with no problems. Mine is the 58 degree model. My distance with is pretty identical to what I was getting wtih my 58 RTX 2.0 CB.

Same here with distance only difference I noticed is a lot more spin from the pm's over my old rtx1.0 or regular md2

I loved my 64 so much I replaced my 54 and 60 Jaws with the PM 56 and 60. I took them to the range today and I could not be more pleased with the results. Full shots were a breeze and the chips and pitch shots were on target. So much so it was ridiculous. It's funny to think I was contemplating putting the 64 on eBay cause I hated the look but now I love how all three look. Just setting up gave me confidence. These wedges are the real deal.

Edit: I've had a chance to hit them again and wedges have always been the weakest part of my game. Personally I find some wedges just looking down don't instill confidence on full swings. I feel like I'll leave the face open and hit a short, high shot to the right. There have been a few wedges that setting down I could say yeah I'm gonna hit the hell out of this but those have been few and far between. The Hogan 56.10 and 60.04, Ping i3 O-Size and the Callaway Jaws 54, 60 and 64. The PM Grind 56 and 60 fall into that group. I immediately took to them from the first swing. The 64 was never intended to be a full swing club but I now have confidence in using it up to 85 yards. I'm playing a round on Monday so hopefully I'll have some good shots with them and a review based on course play.

Last edited:
For those seeing success with this from the bunker, are you playing it any different than your old wedge? I've gone from having great confidence in my sand game to wanting to pick it up and throw it on the green by hand and taking a triple bogey. I've flied more greens out of the bunker recently with this than I care to admit.

My experience has been the opposite. I'm a TERRIBLE bunker player and this club is fantastic out of the bunker for me. I have the 58' degree model. I absolutely love this club - I like it around the greens as well but I need a good lie to use it. I'm in California and the fairways can get a little bare out here, so I don't use the club when the lie is bare, but otherwise this club is amazing. This club is basically an old Ping Eye2 (which Phil carried but obviously ditched for the model with his name on it)...but that does not matter to me, I think this is really a cool club, but I spent a bunch of time with it practicing, super happy with it, but I've had other people tell me they hate it...it's not for everyone....I'm not playing the club any different from bunker from my previous 58' wedge (which is the highest lofted club I carry)...if you hate it, I would lose it...

My experience has been the opposite. I'm a TERRIBLE bunker player and this club is fantastic out of the bunker for me. I have the 58' degree model. I absolutely love this club - I like it around the greens as well but I need a good lie to use it. I'm in California and the fairways can get a little bare out here, so I don't use the club when the lie is bare, but otherwise this club is amazing. This club is basically an old Ping Eye2 (which Phil carried but obviously ditched for the model with his name on it)...but that does not matter to me, I think this is really a cool club, but I spent a bunch of time with it practicing, super happy with it, but I've had other people tell me they hate it...it's not for everyone....I'm not playing the club any different from bunker from my previous 58' wedge (which is the highest lofted club I carry)...if you hate it, I would lose it...

Good to hear you found something that works well for you. I let this club go, but that's the beauty of golf equipment, there's something for everyone.

I know its been discussed a bit before, just hate to read thru 10 miles of threads but how is the PM grind on full shots? I have the x forged 52,56,60 and 64. before that my eye2 copper wedges. I looked at getting the MD3 for this upcoming year in either 54/56, then 60. I read about the versatility on the PM and picked up a 64 and 60. Haven't taken the plastic off yet, would really like some affirmation that on full shots I should get the same distance I would from the MD3.

I didn't pull the trigger on the 56 yet...was wondering if this year they might come out with a 54 but it looks like " no". What are your thoughts on bending a 56 PM to 54 if gapping suggests it?

I tried waiting for a 54 PM Grind but it's not looking likely so I considered bending my 56 to 54 as well but you will be increasing offset a touch and reducing the bounce 2 degrees. For that reason I've held off since I want the PM Grinds to have a similar look and playability. It's probably not that big a deal but mentally it would bother me unless I bent all of them 2 degrees strong which I'm not willing to do. I didn't play the MD3 but the PM Grinds on full shots went as far as my Jaws and MD2 wedges on full shots.

With a 56, 60 and 64 I'm getting with full shots 115, 105, 85 yards so the gaps are fine. The 56 and 60 are especially good with full shots. I feel very comfortable with them.

In addition to a 54˚ PM grind I would like to see a 62˚ PM grind. This would provide even gaps there for everyone.

I bag two 60 degree wedges, a 60* vokey 4* bounce and 60* Mack Daddy PM 10* bounce. That works great for me with the combination of hard pan lies as well as soft thick grass we have in DFW area of Texas.

Nice one JB. Is Gary Woodland average? Enjoyed your response. I have a vintage 64 degree with the now illegal Mack Daddy from a few years ago. It is killer out of bunkers and bad lie scenarios. I also like it because it quickly gets that dull rust type of look . I am not sure if it is a legal club for hacks like me, but I would be best served by dropping the 5 metal and get the 64 ridiculous spinner and flopper back in the bag. It looks like it is 25 years old but I bought it brand new just a few years back. It has been seldom played , this interview has peaked my interest.

Back