Shoot like a "Champ" one day, back to Hacking the next day.

Hook_Setter

Reaction score
Handicap
I've broke a 100 twice in the last couple weeks, but both times my next round or three were back to 110 give or take a couple strokes.
It is amazing how quick a golf swing can go to crap, and putting stroke is off at the same time. Also on a side note, anyone else have a day
where they're just not comfortable on how they set up to hit a shot??

I used to struggle with setup and just so you know, some of the best in the world do too (see Sergio previously). I found that when I got out of my own head the comfort levels got better. Less overthinking and more "try to enjoy" the surroundings.

I have the uncomfortable feeling when setting up to a shot rather often. Usually results in my overcompensating something in my swing and a poor shot typically ensues.

I still struggle with setup to this day and I've been playing on and off for 15 years. JB mentioned Sergio previous setup issues. Youtube him his setup now, I don't think there is a more methodical setup out there. He is a good one to watch if you're having setup issues

I can shoot 72 or 90 anytime I tee it up so yeah, I feel you.

I go through the ups and downs on a more monthly basis. I get hot for a few weeks and then I go cold again.

It's frustrating but I realize a swing with as many moving parts as mine has will never be very consistent.

September is notoriously the month where my swing falls apart

I hit for the cycle yesterday.

Bogey, double, triple, quad.

I have a terrible time with set up, I've tried repeatedly to fix it, took a couple lessons and I still gravitate back to the old uncomfortable more often than not. You are not alone

This was me this year. For every round I was in the 70's, I followed it up with something in the mid 80's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is light at the end of this tunnel. EVERY golfer on the planet goes through this. Jordan Spieth misses two cuts after dominating all summer. Tiger wins 5 times in 2013 and now is outside the TOP 300 in world. You shoot in the 90s one day and over 100 the next. That is golf and the best in world can't sustain top notch play, we can't expect ourselves to do so.

Sure there are different levels of struggle but it all still a struggle. I think the majority of golfer still struggle with setup and alignment. Yesterday after a and 8 over string of holes 2-5, I started squaring up my rear foot and my club face. This helped me with my alignment and I played one over golf from 6 to 18. This little fix helped turn a mid 80s round into a round of 80.

There is light at the end of this tunnel. EVERY golfer on the planet goes through this. Jordan Spieth misses two cuts after dominating all summer. Tiger wins 5 times in 2013 and now is outside the TOP 300 in world. You shoot in the 90s one day and over 100 the next. That is golf and the best in world can't sustain top notch play, we can't expect ourselves to do so.

Sure there are different levels of struggle but it all still a struggle. I think the majority of golfer still struggle with setup and alignment. Yesterday after a and 8 over string of holes 2-5, I started squaring up my rear foot and my club face. This helped me with my alignment and I played one over golf from 6 to 18. This little fix helped turn a mid 80s round into a round of 80.

Can't wait to hear some of this wisdom in person on the course one week from now...

It's the game of golf. In the last year I have learned the more I get out if my own way the better I play.

Yeah I shot a personal best in my last round before the gauntlet and then decided to play my worst golf of the year. Got home and played in a scramble and dominated. Golf is a weird game sometimes

Can't wait to hear some of this wisdom in person on the course one week from now...
Bring you checkbook, my credit card machine is down....lol if yoy want tips, I have a few good ones. Just don't ask me about grip pressure

my scores range from 99 to 76 this year, so you're not alone brother! my setup issue is grip. I changed my grip 2 years ago and I still struggle with it feeling less than natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about shooting like a champ and a hack in the same round?

A few weeks ago I went out and played 18. During that round I had 6 pars and 1 (or 2) birdies. I still shot like 103… the other wholes were THAT BAD!

I'm sure you get the idea from the posts that everybody goes through the set up thing...

So what do you do about it....The way the Pros and better players do it is to develop a routine that prepares them to set up correctly so they can make a good swing...This same routine happens everytime before they swing...Every action from taking the club out of the bag going forward should prepare you for a good set up and swing...Getting rid of negative thoughts is key and the routine helps to do that...

Golf is day to day for everyone, including the world class professionals.

September is notoriously the month where my swing falls apart

I hit for the cycle yesterday.

Bogey, double, triple, quad.
I thought that the cycle was scoring 1-9 or 2-10 on the same 9.
I can roll thru a round with your "cycle" definition almost any time I play golf!!

How about shooting like a champ and a hack in the same round?

A few weeks ago I went out and played 18. During that round I had 6 pars and 1 (or 2) birdies. I still shot like 103… the other wholes were THAT BAD!

my round today. Front 9: back to back doubles to start, bogey, 3 pars in a row, back to back doubles and a bogey. Back 9: 3 pars, 4 doubles a par and a double. ~

I am the same way. Can shoot an 80 one day and a 95 the next

Back 6 weeks ago, I went from shooting 45 on 9 holes, to 47, 49 &51.

I couldn't break 47. Then 2 weeks ago, I shot a 44, 42, 43, &41. Personal best.

Now it's creeping back up. At least when I am ON, my good scores are Really Good.

I saw something on TV about heroin addicts. Their first high is the highest and best. Then they begin chasing that high, and trying to feel that good again. Sometimes to the point of overdosing.

I see similarities between golf and heroin.LOL!!!!

Jack

I know exactly how you feel. I had absolutely nothing today. The last 3 or 4 times before that i was in a groove. It's golf. But if you look hard you can find positives. They are always there. Stay positive.

When we're at our level, i.e. not at a pro-level, and we haven't established procedural memory with our setup, swings, etc., little things can be off from one day to the next. We can set up with the ball a half inch too far forward or back, or too far away or close - something we may not notice, but that small change can make a lot of difference in how the club contacts the ball because our brain has to make a compensation for the difference.

Yesterday at the range I had a case of the shanks. I hit my first few shots well with my PW, then went to my 8i and shanked everything. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. It was just plain weird. So I hit my driver for a while, and my usual draw was a fade, not a slice, but a fade. Just a weird day. Back to my 8 iron and my stock draw tail was there and the shanks were gone. I can see this would have been a disaster on the course.

Monday last week, 92

Monday this week, 110 .... my putting was teribble today and I am still not able to use fairway wood.

very sad..... :banghead:

Back