How do you play when it get cold?

I'll play down into the high 30s if there's no snow on the ground and I go multiple thin layers and a vest so it doesn't restrict my arms.

It's not so much the temperature as it is the wind speed this time of year

Base layer of under armour compression, pants, polo and pull over with a beanie and I am good to go.

Thin layers work great. We tee off in the morning, and if it gets a little warmer later on, its easy to take off an outer layer. Scores go WAY up, due to lack of movement, temperature affecting ball flight and distance, and the WIND. But its better than sitting home.

If I have to add much more than some UA thermals to my normal cool weather pants and 1/4 zips I'm probably not playing. I'm comfortable down into the 40's that way. Too bundled and it's just not that fun.

Had a great 9 hole match on Saturday...
846b7090117de9df67ae3fb8220f267f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thin layers is the way to go, it will have less effect on your swing. the cold will impact your flexibility however, so clubing up might be needed.

when/if you play in the 20s or 10s, then all hell break loose, the greens are frozen and will bounce like a cart path, and probably roll to a 15. add in the fact that you have to wear a bigger jacket or tons of layers, don't worry about score too much, keep you coffee thermos close, and you whiskey flask even closer.

How cold is cold for you Florida boys?

Man you FL guys don't know what it's like to play in the cold, 50* is not cold ... spoiled! LOL :act-up:

its funny to read what is considered cold for everyone depending on where they come, makes me realise my post was waaaay off base for the OP

that looks FUN!

We had a great time!!!

We played a 2 man scramble from the red tees.

My team won, we shot 2 over with 2 birdies!

We holed everything out.

You can't really use a putter until you are really close, need to use a 7iron (or similar) and chip it through the snow.

How cold is cold for you Florida boys?

Man you FL guys don't know what it's like to play in the cold, 50* is not cold ... spoiled! LOL :act-up:

When I pegged it up at 9am, it was 36 with wind coming out of the NW at 10-12 mph. It didn’t warm up till 10:30-11?

Thin outside shell, Wool 1/4 zip sweater, polo, baselayer, thicker pants, strip off the layers as it warms up. Doesn't seem to restrict anything - would like to hit the range beforehand, but you go with what you've got... and I have an Orange Whip.

When I pegged it up at 9am, it was 36 with wind coming out of the NW at 10-12 mph. It didn’t warm up till 10:30-11?

i walked outside to let my dog out around 7:30am and honest to God my first thought was, "i'm glad i'm not playing golf this morning." seriously, it was so damn cold and the wind makes it that much worse.

i don't know how people do it. first of all, i can't make a full turn with all that gear. i would rather bundle up, and take it all off before hitting every shot. makes ready golf pretty difficult though! and second, my hands go freaking numb so i have no touch. brutal.

i walked outside to let my dog out around 7:30am and honest to God my first thought was, "i'm glad i'm not playing golf this morning." seriously, it was so damn cold and the wind makes it that much worse.

i don't know how people do it. first of all, i can't make a full turn with all that gear. i would rather bundle up, and take it all off before hitting every shot. makes ready golf pretty difficult though! and second, my hands go freaking numb so i have no touch. brutal.

I tried playing with my jacket on, and I felt so restricted. I took it off, swung, then put it right back on. Those handwarmer packets they sell are total crap, even when you put them in gloves. That'll be the last time I play in that cold for a long while.

Like a lot of other people, I wear layers. For a top layer, I have a Smartwool coat that works really well. The body is insulated, but the arms are a loose, flexible material, so I can swing with no real restrictions. If it gets really cold, I'll also wear a stocking cap and have mittens with me.

I played Friday, and it had snowed the previous Monday, so a couple of greens were still pretty frozen. I hit a couple of shots that landed about 15 feet short of a pin in the middle of the green and ended up a good 10 yards over the green. But my mindset for winter golf has always been that I'm just thankful to be out, with a chance to maintain my swing instead of being forced not to play at all or in a simulator. Can't worry about score too much.

Can't swing with anything heavy on. Under Armour FTW when it's 45 or below.

I always go with my UA Cold Gear compression long sleeve shirt and leggings, and even the balaclava if it's that cold.

You guys are nuts! lol

As a tip, we take plenty of cigars and bourbon with us. We do shots on all water holes!
It maybe an artificial feeling of warmth, but it still feels warm.

That's cold, especially with the wind. Only good thing is it warms up pretty fast if you're expecting to get into the 50s at least.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I can play pretty decent when it gets colder, but the colder it is, the less likely I'm able to score well, due to the ever increasing layers which inhibit a good turn/swing for me.

I have played in some downright cold conditions, we have a course that does winter memberships locally for $120 and they are valid from October 1st-April 30th, it’s a short track but not awful, and if you can get some golf in October and April with nice weather any days you get out over the winter are just bonus rounds and usually just a good winter walk with a bunch of friends, less about golf more about the activity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best thing I ever did was buy a golf cart cover and heater! Played a full round on Saturday. It was between 25 and 33 degrees and half way through the round started snowing. The beauty of it was that my playing partner and I were perfectly comfortable since it was 80 degrees in my cart! It just makes winter golf so much more fun! Only costs 6 bucks for two little propane cans for the heater, and one can will last a round or so. I recommend it!

I played 18 holes yesterday in 30* weather and high winds. I use two thin layers, a fleece vest and a light/loose windbreaker. My swing was definitely restricted but not too terribly. I usually go up one club length and shorten my backswing a little bit.

The toughest challenge was the turf. some spots were frozen stiff while some had thawed and it was tough to tell the difference. On bunker shots, we allowed ourselves to pick up the ball, rake the bunker and re-place it so we wouldnt have to hit the rock hard sand.

The greens were extremely difficult to hold on approaches or even well struck chip shots.

Definitely an interesting challenge and the scores reflected that but it was more about just getting out and having some fun which we did.

As a tip, we take plenty of cigars and bourbon with us. We do shots on all water holes!
It maybe an artificial feeling of warmth, but it still feels warm.

Holy crap... I'm in then! :D

Layers. Usually an UA Base Layer, then loose fitting clothing on top to maximize movement. On the golf course, club up. The Ball definitely does not travel as far in cold air as it does on a nice warm sunny day.

Back