How do you play when it get cold?

I play just fine.
Distance takes a hit but make some small adjustments and away we go.

Living in South Dakota you're forced to own a variety of different types of cold weather clothing to keep you warm and still allow some freedom in the swing. I layer up with a base layer of an Under Armour mock turtle that's a little thicker for some good warmth and assistance in blocking out the wind. Then I'll usually wear a light jacket, I've got 4 or 5 different ones I alternate between depending on how cold it is. Pants I have several different thickness options as well and I usually double up the socks, gotta have warm feet! It can all get pretty bulky but layering up helps so you can always shed a layer or sometimes 2 if the temps raise enough.

Here in Kentucky, I’m in the north western part, thin layers are the way to go. We have some cold weather here but nothing like what I had living in NH but still pretty chilly. It’s snows here but is gone as the sun gets higher. We can tee off at 28 then in a few hours it could be in the upper 40s. So you end up pealing of layers. We’ve had some really cold days and it effects my arthritis so if it’s too cold I stay in and practice putting or surf the net looking at gear. Right now the course we’ve played on recently has good greens but the fairways are brown.

Oh BTW I grew up in the Clearwater beach area in Florida and there were times it was cold to the point we’d get hard freezes that would hit the citrus industry pretty hard. But after living and working in cold in a cold climate like the Northeast I chuckle at my friends in Florida telling me they’ve broken out the scarves, gloves and earmuffs.

Typically I'll put a cold-gear base layer on... then my polo... then a 1/4 zip pullover. I'm, ummm... "well insulated"... so, my torso never really gets all that cold. If anything... it's my feet, hands and ears. I'll keep them all as warm as possible.

Also... I easily lose a club or more of distance once the temperatures drop below 55. That's always the toughest adjustment for me. Mentally, it's tough to force myself to hit a 9 iron when I know I typically hit a pitching wedge. It's also scary when I catch one solid. I always think it's gonna fly over the back of the green... but it doesn't. The trust in my distances is the most difficult adjustment in cold weather. My swing isn't really changed because I don't wear too many layers so it's not all that restricted.

Layer upwith a cold weather shirt from ua, Nike or Oakley, polo and then either a sweater or cold weather golf jacket depending on how cold

I play decent enough to keep playing in the cold but not the same as in warm weather. I play enough in cold weather that I wear as little as I can to stay comfortable but it still limits my swing.

How do you play when it get cold?

Definitely thin layers. Usually add compression base layer, polo, 1/4 zip, maybe a light jacket over that. Need to find some wind pants though.

I play equally badly in the cold or warm weather. I lose a bit of distance in the cold for sure.

Had two layers on my head, 4 layers on torso, and two on legs last weekend but none are overly thick layers. My play is similarly inconsistent regardless of the temp! :banghead:

If I can get my hands warm, I am good. I usually wear shorts year round(unless it gets below 32*).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my second stint back in WI and for me it is all about layers. I always start with thermal underwear on real cold days (30-40 ish). Then build up from there. Oddly, when I lived in DFW a sweatshirt and long pants was about it no matter how cold it was.

Layers and vests are my best friend on the colder days also a beanie

I have different layers for different temps and then when it gets down to the low 30's, then I add the mittens between shots.
It is not uncommon for me to play in the low 30's during the winter when a course is open.

I teed off in about 40 degrees this weekend as well, had compression top and bottom, golf polo and medium slim fitted wool sweater and golf pants. And compression sleeves on my calves since I was walking. I think it was more due to the early start and temps but it took me a few holes before I felt I could really take a full swing, and was short on a couple of irons that I hit well but still tracked the ball further than how far the ball actually went by about 10 yards. Luckily I chipped and putted well to scramble for decent scores and once it warmed up and I layered down it was business as usual.

It’s just so hard to pull out a 9 iron from a fairway lie from 115, but I should learn to trust and adjust moving forward when the temps do occasionally drop to that level.

I've noticed that in the last few years there's been a lot of cold weather golf gear that permits more movement. I've got a quilted Nike zip up that isn't really thick, but blocks both cold and wind really well. I've got winter gloves, but I really don't like swinging with them. If I need to put the gloves on, I'm having second thoughts about playing.

That said, I'm not playing a "serious" round in the cold - but I'll play tournaments/scrambles/etc down into the 30s.

Up here we generally will play until the course is frozen solid or covered in snow..... so this year October lol.

Usually play not bad. A lot of layers, a hot beverage, and hand warmers in my back pockets. A good toque is important, and I have been known to carry around a pair of mittens with me. Lined pants (even if a work pant or jean) work wonders as well.

Toque is in my bag year round it seems, ended up having to wear it one night in August on the course this year.

For whatever reason when I flew in from paradise Friday night it was in the high 70s. Come Sunday we teed off at 45 degrees.

I went to DICKS to buy a long sleeve dri-fit shirt to still keep my flexibility, and something under the warm Callaway pullover. Golf pants and a beanie.

As long as I’m warm it doesn’t bother me. Only thing that was annoying was not being able to keep my hands warm, other than that it was fine.

I will not play below 45 if the wind is above 10 mph. With that said just normal attire with a thin jacket. My problem is I tend to overswing due to the colder temps and that causes more issues than it solves.

Some sort of long sleeve winter tec underneath, golf shirt and thicker quarter zip. If it is really cold I might wear a hoodie but I hate golfing in that as it slightly restricts the swing. If I am wearing that it means it is 30 degrees out and the greens are a parking lot and wedges take 25 yards to stop and I don't worry about the slight restriction to the swing.

November to April 1st or 15th is considered out of season here and you can not post scores to ghin so you handicap stays where it is unless you play a round in a location that is in season.

I'll avoid the very cold now for the sake of my back. But when I would play, it was compression long johns, UA Cold Gear top & bottom, Zero Restriction wool long sleeve shirt, wool slacks, Zero Restriction fleece-lined shell, knit hat, double up on the socks. All dark colors to grab as much of the sunlight as possible.

I was just about to go up this morning but at -1c and frost all over the ground I think I'll give it a miss,
45e920a175fc14a4ca4665338ef822f8.jpg
060b462225bfbbdf99edcd9835704fa6.jpg

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

If it's too cold I just don't play. I love golf, but not enough to freeze and not enjoy the round.

When it gets chilly I dress in layers. There was one round this year where I was wearing an undershirt, polo, 1/4 zip and then another Under Armour 1/4 zip. It worked relatively well and gave me enough flexibility to swing.

Usually a toque, long sleeve UA cold gear shirt and wind proof jacket. Mitts are also important for between shots and I often throw on the tights under my pants.

As long as the wind isnt whipping I will layer up - under armour base layer, tee shirt, golf shirt, and jacket - infrared under armour pants and 2 pairs of socks with wool hat and warm gloves which I can easily take off for shots....

Damn...Im the only one with a cart cover and heater? I'm telling you guys...if you spend a little bit of money you will be so happy you did! I was very comfortable in high 20s low 30s temps last year. And had to take a layer off last week!

Back