How do you play when it get cold?

How do I play when it gets cold?
Usually a little worse than normal, I don’t worry too much about it, I’d much rather have a mediocre score than not play. As far as preparing for the temperature the usual golf attire goes out the door. Fleece pants over long johns, wool socks, I try to keep my upper layers thin and to a minimum. Covering my ears with good hat are important as well as an all black top layer to absorb the sun. I’m sorry to disappoint but I cants stand looking through a cart cover and unless it’s really cold I’ll drop the regular windshield.

I usually don't play much in the cold. 45-50 and no wind is about as low as I'll go out in.

Under Armor turtle neck, fleece and wind shirt and I'm Ok.

I used to do the goretex suit, long johns and mittens back in my younger days. Heck we had a stroke play qualifier in March at my old home course and sometimes the course was still frozen. I can remember hitting an 8 iron off the end of a frozen pond once. Brrrrrrr I get cold just thinking about that

I'll play in the low 40's as long as it's not windy, that wind will cut through me. I usually just layer up, nothing too heavy and I'm good to go.

When I was full time in Michigan I’d play as long as the course was open and just layer up. As I started to spend some sporadic time in Florida in the winter I’d play when it was above the high 40’s. Most fukltomers wouldn’t play if it was under 50. After retirement, I spend the season in Florida and 55 is the general limit. Since we can play 7 days a week, missing 1 or 2 cold days is not a big deal. I still layer but with thinner and lighter materials.

I love playing the cold, rounds go very quickly and usually have the course to myself.

I go with compression pants under my golf pants, a water repellant hoodie, and winter golf gloves. If the weather necessitates anything more than that it is too cold for golf.

I’ve played dressed like that in 35 degree weather with 35 mile an hour wind, so it pretty much gets me through anything. I’m pretty cold tolerant...especially for a guy who has lived my whole life in Texas.

Layer up, but don't get too bulky.
Take at least one more club.
Play Pro V1x balls.
Swing smooth.

Back