How do you play when it get cold?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday was the first real cold day in Florida and we were forced to layer up. Most of the guys I play with wear thin tech gear to keep wam so the swings aren’t to affected. But I did see guys in heavy coats and some interesting swings. It made me wonder how the THP membership handles the cold since the vast majority live in cold weather states.

OK, but not the same as when I'm free to move easier. Scores go up due to the layers and the conditions but at least we still get to play!!

Yesterday was the first real cold day in Florida and we were forced to layer up. Most of the guys I play with wear thin tech gear to keep wam so the swings aren’t to affected. But I did see guys in heavy coats and some interesting swings. It made me wonder how the THP membership handles the cold since the vast majority live in cold weather states.

thin layers is the way to go, it will have less effect on your swing. the cold will impact your flexibility however, so clubing up might be needed.

when/if you play in the 20s or 10s, then all hell break loose, the greens are frozen and will bounce like a cart path, and probably roll to a 15. add in the fact that you have to wear a bigger jacket or tons of layers, don't worry about score too much, keep you coffee thermos close, and you whiskey flask even closer.

Cold in Florida? Was it 50? :alien:

On a serious note I tend not to play in anything under 45° unless the sun is shining. When I do I layer up the clothing with thin layers, usually a long sleeve under armor shirt, a quarter zip and then a jacket if necessary. Layering is key. I see a lot of cart covers and heaters around here as well and I have used the FJ winter gloves in the past as well. The key to playing in the cold for me is the sun MUST be out and it MUST NOT be windy otherwise its not much fun.

Thermals are a must, top and bottom. Two pairs of socks, as many thin layers as possible on top and something to keep the hands warm is a must. I'm fine in cold weather and it usually doesnt bother me but the second my hands get cold im screwed

I don't play in the cold & anything under 50* ain't happening. If I do get out, its a thin base layer/compression, my polo of choice for the day & the wind will determine the thickness of my 1/4 zip that day.

Cold in Florida? Was it 50? :alien:

On a serious note I tend not to play in anything under 45° unless the sun is shining. When I do I layer up the clothing with thin layers, usually a long sleeve under armor shirt, a quarter zip and then a jacket if necessary. Layering is key. I see a lot of cart covers and heaters around here as well and I have used the FJ winter gloves in the past as well. The key to playing in the cold for me is the sun MUST be out and it MUST NOT be windy otherwise its not much fun.

It was 39* when we teed off and 50 when we finished. No wind but needed mittens between shots. And yes, it’s funny that we get cold when it hit 70

Yes, absolutely. Played a couple of times recently where it was mid 30's at tee time (first group out usually). Layer up but don't wear anything restrictive. Clicgear gloves with warmers work well also.

Played 16 Saturday before the light got too dark and 9 yesterday in temperatures that were around -1C, but at times the wind made it feel a lot colder

4 layers on - 2 different types of base layer, golf polo and my blue THP Puma 1/4 zip, then I wore my waterproof trousers over my golf trousers for an extra layer there as well
Picked up a pair of UA Cold Weather golf gloves a couple weeks ago and just wore those rather than a normal glove

Nose was a bit cold after the 9 holes yesterday but other than that I was fine

Hardest bit was judging what sort of bounce you would get (or not in some cases) on the temporary greens that were in play to protect the proper greens due to the frost
We didn't keep any scores and just laughed at the bounces we all got during the round

Wear 3 thin layers and club up. Gloves on my hands between shots. I also try to limit my expectations. As I get older my temp threshold is shrinking.

I tend to stay in when it gets so cold that I have to put on numerous layers. I tend to do base layer, golf polo and 1/4 zip. If I have to wear more than that, its time to do inside activities.

I've usually got a base layer on, a polo and then a windshirt. If need be, I'll throw another windshirt on. I've also got rain pants that I tend to wear any time it's under 55*. I also have winter gloves, one are big fluffy ones that you take off every time you hit a shot. I've also got winter gloves that are more like golf gloves, that you can hit shots while wearing. On top I've got a winter mask that I usually just wear around my neck to keep the wind off of it...and then a knit cap on my head.

I worked at the course yesterday. I was layered up a little because of the wind, but I saw several people in shorts. It was 60 degrees with a pretty stiff wind, but we were still busy.

Up here on the Canadian border, we take it indoors to a simulator

My play in the cold... I'll throw on as thin of a jacket as I can. If I'm still cold, I get back in the car and go home. Either that or lots of Fireball. :D

Under Armour cold gear layer underneath golf shirt. That keeps me able to swing freely. If it's really cold I'll wear the FJ jacket too but rarely do I wear that, as the UA works wonders.

I played a tourney a week ago and it was 38 and pouring rain. After the 3rd hole I figured out I could not get a good full swing so I went to a 3/4 swing the rest of the day.

Depends on temp for sure, but thin layers that can be shed as it warms up.

I will wear thin layers so I can main my mobility to swing. It is part of the reason why I am a fan of vests. They keep me warm for the most part and I don't compromise mobility for my swing. As long as I have a thin layer on my arms, they will stay warm.

I'll play down into the high 30s if there's no snow on the ground and I go multiple thin layers and a vest so it doesn't restrict my arms.

It wasn't cold yesterday Freddie.. It was effin cold. Throw in a bit of wind and it was just cutting through any warm stuff I had on. By about 10:30 though the sun was up enough where it felt actually kinda nice when you were in the sun. The shade though and nope.

It wasn't cold yesterday Freddie.. It was effin cold. Throw in a bit of wind and it was just cutting through any warm stuff I had on. By about 10:30 though the sun was up enough where it felt actually kinda nice when you were in the sun. The shade though and nope.

How cold is cold for you Florida boys?

Man you FL guys don't know what it's like to play in the cold, 50* is not cold ... spoiled! LOL :act-up:

If we play in the cold we usually walk. That really helps keep warm. Unless we use a cart with a cover or doors. An open cart in the cold is brutal

A hat to helps. For the upper body - base layer, thin insulating layer and an outer layer to block the wind and/or rain.

I use to go with rain pants over regular pants, but, I got some Nike Weatherized pants, that have some insulation. The last time out, when it got sunny, the legs got a bit warm, so, today(sunny and high of 45), I am trying my Gap Performance Khaki's, which are water repellant, and, seem to block the wind fairly well. It will likely be in the upper 30s(frost delay), when, we start and we will finish with the temps in the mid 40's. It should be quite pleasant for December in the Pacific NW.

Back