Aggressive or Conservative - Your Style of Play

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
Are you generally an aggressive player or are you more of a conservative player? You can only pick one. Which best describes your style of game?

A few things to think about in your answer. Are you generally trying to fire at pins regardless of where they are? Are you trying to cut corners on doglegs? If you have a low % shot through trees are you going for it or taking your medicine? If you have a short sided chip/pitch, are you going for the big flop to get up and down or are you making sure you get it on the green and get your 2 putt and move on? Those are just a few ideas you might ask yourself when making your determination.

Conservative

100% aggressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggressive, sometimes comically so

Haha well played sir. We'd have been interesting partners, I consider myself a very conservative player. Give me a round where I make no birdies and no doubles and I'm probably happy and scored well. I absolutely despise making big numbers and avoid them like the plague with my decisions.

I tend to be aggressive since I will almost always "go for it". That being said the last few years I have been leaning more the other way as I get older and wiser haha

I'm an aggressive player. I don't like to live with the "what if". I'll live and die with my decisions regardless of the outcome.

I tend to be aggressive since I will almost always "go for it". That being said the last few years I have been leaning more the other way as I get older and wiser haha

Haha that shot at Shepherds from the fairway bunker over the lake was the perfect example of our different mindsets. And you did better when you went for it.

Haha that shot at Shepherds from the fairway bunker over the lake was the perfect example of our different mindsets. And you did better when you went for it.

Exactly! I talked myself out of it trying to be smart, but thats what happens when I try to play conservative... it usually bites me in rear

Haha well played sir. We'd have been interesting partners, I consider myself a very conservative player. Give me a round where I make no birdies and no doubles and I'm probably happy and scored well. I absolutely despise making big numbers and avoid them like the plague with my decisions.

Yup and my best round ever had 6 birdies and 3 doubles hahaha

It would have been fun to see which would have won out

If I can only choose one, I would have to say aggressive. I recognize my limitations and play aggressively within those. How is that for hedging an answer? haha

Conservative. Minimize the big numbers.

WAY too aggressive and my scores suffer because of it. Generally I'm out there just to have fun though and pulling off that low percentage shot is FUN! A big number because I didn't pull off the shot doesn't really bother me.

This describes me too, as became readily apparent last week.

Even when I want to try to slow down and think my way around the course I have a hard time staying out of my own way.

Avoid the big numbers at all costs...especially when it could cost you some weekend cash $$$$. Conservative

This describes me too, as became readily apparent last week.

Even when I want to try to slow down and think my way around the course I have a hard time staying out of my own way.

Yessir. I have the potential to make a lot of birdies or a lot of biiig numbers and get stuck in my head often when I do try to tone it down

aggressive to a fault. i can put up some big numbers trying something stupid. but it's more fun to me to pull the shot off than to make the boring par. i know it's a game about posting the lowest score, but it's also about playing golf the way that brings the most enjoyment.

I honestly can't answer one or the other, and I think that is why my HCP has plummeted the way it has. Not trying to be a pain or go outside the lines, but its the truth.

Good thread!

Something I've really worked on over the last 1 or 2 seasons is to make smarter decisions. Sometimes that means being aggressive and sometimes that means being conservative - totally situation dependent.

Not sure I can really answer if forced to pick one or the other. Sorry (kinda...) for being "that guy"

Before this year I was 100% aggressive. But now I would say 75%

I call my style of play "aggressively stupid" - at this time, I am not as serious about a score, but we are getting to the point lately where I am starting to strategize for the "higher probability of success" shot.

Conservative. Aggressive play rarely produces the desired scoring outcome.

Agreesive or kongfrontational

Overly aggressive, and it gets me in trouble ALOT. But it sure is fun.

Back