Green speed, how quickly do you adapt?

What is this adapt word you speak of? :)

This is one thing I really struggle with. My home course has faster greens than a lot of places around here. When I run into a course with slower greens, it takes me forever to get used to it. I tend to leave myself with much longer than I like par putts.

As long as I get there early and the putting green is close to what the courses greens are....I adapt pretty quickly. 10-15 mins on the practice green. I however have a more difficult time adapting to SLOW greens than I do fast. In addition if there is a practice chipping area that shows me the responsiveness in that regard it really helps all facets of determining and getting used to green speeds for my game.

Not nearly as fast as I would like to and it's something I'll work on more next year. I need to play away from my home course much more often to help adapt to different speeds on the green.

It usually seems to be a few holes and then I start to feel comfortable or least have a feel for what I need to do to adapt. Lately I've been changing my weight on the SS counterbore from 25 to 50 to 75 depending on what I saw last round or on the practice green, but on a new course would be tough to make that call just from the practice green.

I adjust much quicker when the greens are faster than expected. Slow greens frustrate the heck out me if I am not careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If greens are fast I can usually adjust pretty well to that. My struggle really comes in when the greens are slow. I'll leave putts short way too often, I just don't trust myself and the greens.

I feel I adjust better on faster greens. When I get on slower greens I have a hard time getting putts to the hole

10-20 minutes on the practice green and I'm pretty good to go.

I adjust quicker to faster greens than I do slower greens.

Seems to take me most of a round to get used to much slower or much faster greens.
I find going to faster greens leads to a lot more 3 putt holes than going to slower greens too.

I can get the speed down in 3-4 holes, certain course have nice nuanced greens that can be a bit more challenging

I can usually adapt fairly quickly to faster greens, usually get a pretty good feel for them on the practice green and maybe a couple holes into a round I'll have a good feel for them. It's adapting the other way that takes me longer. If greens are slower than I'm used to or expecting it'll take me a while to trust that and get myself to hit the putts hard enough.

This is me as well. I find it much easier to adapt to faster greens than the slower ones.

Takes me about 18 holes. But, I'm the world's best putter by the 19th hole ;)

In the case of the grandaddy Having knowledge of speedy greens and being able to find ones to replicate it in winter is a tough battle. Even the members commented they were faster the normal so no way for us to know.... Usually takes me a 5-6 holes to adjust

Last edited:
Usually by the 3rd hole I will have a good understanding of the speeds are

I can get the speed down in 3-4 holes, certain course have nice nuanced greens that can be a bit more challenging

Likewise... I feel like I can adjust by 3-4 holes if the greens are faster than I'm used to.... if they're slower, it takes me longer if I can adjust at all. But I also feel like some courses intentionally make little nuisances that impact how one green rolls versus others, using tree shading, tiers, shapes and slope directions... those are the really tough greens to adjust.

I was reading through the GD thread and saw that the greens were faster than some have experienced. And it sounds to me like, if they had knowledge of these speedy greens, things MAY, have been different.

So I ask the members, how long does it take you to adjust to green speeds? Is it something you can just pickup with a few putts or do you need some serious time on the greens?

What do you do to get used to green speeds and textures?

I got pretty good with both reading and speed this year, and can adjust pretty quickly. If I am missing putts badly, it's usually not a speed issue, but more of a reading problem. Or because I am putting on Bermuda, hahaha.

Usually a couple holes. Seems like anywhere I go the practice greens never replicate the real greens.

Green speed, how quickly do you adapt?

As long as the practice green is an accurate representation, not too long. I prefer fast greens by far though...

15 or 20 minutes pre-round. Still sometimes the really sloping putts will get me.

JM

Generally 1 or 2 holes. I putt before the round for 15-20 minutes. I really get screwed up when the putting green is totally different than the greens on the course

Sent from HTX

If they are slow, I adjust pretty quickly. I prefer greens on the slow side of things so i can stay aggressive. When they are faster than expected it not only screws with my mind in terms of pace but i tend to over read greens as well

If I can get a little time on the practice greens I can adjust pretty quickly. I normally putt on faster greens so going to slower greens I tend to leave some putts short at first.

It takes about 2-3 holes and it depends on the slope of the greens of course. That’s a lot of calculations for a leisurely weekend round!!

Back