Green speed, how quickly do you adapt?

I'd like to think it takes me a few holes to get adjusted. My main thing is recognizing the speeds when the greens start to dry up after the morning dew goes away.

Hopefully on the putting green but most of the time over the first few holes.

I played greens yesterday that were extraordinarily faster than what I normally play. I must have had 4 three putts on the front and none on the back with two birdies. Nine holes is about right to get the speed right if the greens are that different from what I am used to. Slight differences day-to-day on the same course I can usually adjust to on the practice green.

For those that take a few holes to get used to the speed. Couldn’t that be the difference in a round or match? Wouldn’t you want a full understanding of the speed prior to the first green?

For those that take a few holes to get used to the speed. Couldn’t that be the difference in a round or match? Wouldn’t you want a full understanding of the speed prior to the first green?

To your point if it’s a match my preparation is different than just showing up saying wow these speeds are off and getting adjusted in round

To that point I think we’ve all played that course where the practice green wasn’t a good indicator of on course greens

I like to think I adjust fairly well to green speeds. There were a couple that I blew past the hole or left short last week, but for the most part the speed of the greens weren't much of a concern.

To your second point I definitely think it could be the difference between a good round and a terrible one. For the most part, I ALWAYS try to get there at least 15 minutes before tee off to roll a few on the practice green.

It often takes me several holes or more to adjust. Since my only competition is with old man par I don’t worry too much about the cost of a few strokes.

I’ve noticed that when I’m playing greens with grain in them, I’ll need to spend more time practicing. Otherwise, I think it’s easier to adjust on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it's because my home course has slower greens, but when I get to a course with fast greens I tend to leave putts short. I think the speed gets into my head and takes away a lot of the aggression of my stroke. I baby the putts because I'm afraid to roll it 10 feet past. The crazy part is I prefer the faster greens once I'm used to them. It just takes awhile for me to get comfortable.

Putting such a mystery to me no matter what the speed, if I am on it does not matter I adjust automatically it seems. But if it is one of those just bad days nothing I do seems to be right putting wise.

But I do prefer to take at least 5-10 minutes chipping close in to see how the ball reacts then putt, for me the feel (for speed) seems to come more naturally that way.

For me, slower greens are harder to get acclimated with than quicker ones. Biggest reason being my stroke/tendencies while putting. With slower greens I start to feel as if I have to hit it instead of roll it and we know how that ends up whole faster greens I can focus on line and roll it out there and it should travel.
With that said, it generally takes me about 2-3 holes to really get a feel and hopefully I had some time on a practice green that mimics the course.
If I don’t get out before the round due to rushing and it’s a new course, I may putt a few on the first hole if there is time/no one behind us or if we are waiting on a group in front.

It takes me longer to adjust to slow greens than it does fast greens. Mostly because I tend to die the ball in to the hole a bit more, so when the green is slow, it becomes harder for me mentally to hit the ball harder. I would say on slow greens, it could take me a full front 9 to get comfortable, whereas fast greens I will be better speed wise in probably 3.

I’m the exact same way haha

Not long assuming I have 5 or 10 minutes on the practice green. If I really feel like making the effort throw down my phone with level app and figure out the speed with some aimpoint express and that makes it easy to adjust. I might struggle on really big greens that are fast as my home course the greens are a bit small. I play a course that has some absurdly sloped greens that aren't fast stimp wise but effectively as hard as they get so I think I adjust to crazy greens well enough. I am talking slopes where if it doesn't go in it rolls 20 feet and there is nothing you can do or 5 foot putts with 3 or 4 feet of break. I honestly love it, very fun.

What I tell myself:

"If I spend about 30 minutes on the practice green before a round, I should be pretty comfortable with the speed of the greens on the course."

What reality says:

"You've been a member at this course for 15 months. You've played probably 100 rounds here in those 15 months. You're still clueless on these greens."

:beat-up:

If the greens are flattish....couple holes. If the greens have lots of undulations w/ pins on slopes and crowns, I could struggle with that all day.

In the case of the grandaddy Having knowledge of speedy greens and being able to find ones to replicate it in winter is a tough battle. Even the members commented they were faster the normal so no way for us to know.... Usually takes me a 5-6 holes to adjust

I seem to recall the round we played when Phil first got back from the grandaddy at Sleepy Hollow and his first putt he left like 6 feet short. Did you have the same issue?

I seem to recall the round we played when Phil first got back from the grandaddy at Sleepy Hollow and his first putt he left like 6 feet short. Did you have the same issue?
First round post event is this weekend so I'll report back

Back