Green speed, how quickly do you adapt?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I was reading through the GD thread and saw that the greens were faster than some have experienced. And it sounds to me like, if they had knowledge of these speedy greens, things MAY, have been different.

So I ask the members, how long does it take you to adjust to green speeds? Is it something you can just pickup with a few putts or do you need some serious time on the greens?

What do you do to get used to green speeds and textures?

I can usually get adjusted in the first 3-4 holes

I can usually adapt fairly quickly to faster greens, usually get a pretty good feel for them on the practice green and maybe a couple holes into a round I'll have a good feel for them. It's adapting the other way that takes me longer. If greens are slower than I'm used to or expecting it'll take me a while to trust that and get myself to hit the putts hard enough.

I can usually adapt fairly quickly to faster greens, usually get a pretty good feel for them on the practice green and maybe a couple holes into a round I'll have a good feel for them. It's adapting the other way that takes me longer. If greens are slower than I'm used to or expecting it'll take me a while to trust that and get myself to hit the putts hard enough.

This is me too. I can go to faster greens quickly, but it is SOO hard mentally for me to hit putts hard when I've been playing faster greens.

I make sure I spend some time putting before each round. I usually struggle with slower greens though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15min on the putting green is usually enough to have an idea of the pace. Those putts though that are 40+ feet though.. Sometimes it's just tough to practice those on any green, yet alone a fast one.

Give me 10 on the putting green, and I'm good to go.

I can usually adjust pretty quickly, especially to faster greens. After I blow the first one 20 feet past on the putting green, I can usually dial it in with the next handful of putts. The one exception might be long putts on slower greens. Sometimes I have a tough time convincing myself to hit it hard enough and I'll leave it well short for a few holes.

Usually I'd say some time before the round and a few holes, but this weekend it was longer than that for sure. I made some good ones both days, but my speed wasn't consistently where I wanted it until the second day. Sure it means I should probably get to the course earlier and work on putting more.

It takes me longer to adjust to slow greens than it does fast greens. Mostly because I tend to die the ball in to the hole a bit more, so when the green is slow, it becomes harder for me mentally to hit the ball harder. I would say on slow greens, it could take me a full front 9 to get comfortable, whereas fast greens I will be better speed wise in probably 3.

I can adapt to faster greens much easier than I can to slow ones, primarily because I generally play on fast greens. If I go from fast to slow, I can have a tough time and it usually takes me at least 9 holes even if I spend time putting on them before the round.

i can adjust to faster greens v slower greens. On slower greens I am hitting it too hard bc my normal putting stroke isn't getting the ball to the hole. How long really depends, but usually it will take me a few holes to see if consistency will be the same.

As long as the putting green is the same speed as the playing greens I can adjust quickly. Take about 15 minutes of practice putting and good to go.

honestly i have no idea. i've had days on fast greens where i putted like a champ, and other days like a chump. it's like there's a switch that goes off in my head, and i lose all focus and touch and there's no possibility to regroup and find any success. other times, i might have a hiccup here or there, but the pace is generally good.

If I can roll a few on the practice green, I am hoping they are similar to the course to help give me an idea. That said, usually takes me 1 or 2 holes to adjust for fast greens. Slow greens can be an issue for me and usually it takes me longer to adapt.

As witness to my horrendous putting exhibition at Reunion, I much prefer slower greens. Getting on fast greens, while having played on slow greens for the most part, it usually takes me forever to get used to the speed. I don't play on fast greens enough to practice, so when I get on them, especially on the wrong side of the hole, I'm usually terrible. I'm sure if I played on them more often I could be better. But I'm lucky if greens up my way are a 10 stimp rating.

A few minutes on the putting green and I think I'm in the ballpark. Whether or not that translates to the course is another story. I'm usually pretty confident in speed by the 2nd or 3rd hole.

I'm able to adjust to slow greens or fast flat greens pretty quickly. Really fast greens that also have a lot undulation are another story.

About 3 holes.

It takes me longer to adjust to slow greens than it does fast greens. Mostly because I tend to die the ball in to the hole a bit more, so when the green is slow, it becomes harder for me mentally to hit the ball harder. I would say on slow greens, it could take me a full front 9 to get comfortable, whereas fast greens I will be better speed wise in probably 3.

I'm the complete opposite it of this.

Usually takes me a full round before I'm comfortable on a foreign speed green, and by then it's obviously too late.

Like others have posted I adapt easier to fast greens than slower ones.

Typically adapt to faster greens pretty quickly (on putting green or within a couple of holes). Slower greens are much tougher for me and often can go a full round and still have no comfort level on them.

That is one of my biggest issues with playing new courses. I struggle to find my speed early in the rounds.

Back