I played with a pro golfer yesterday

rbarthle17

One-length advocate
Reaction score
Handicap
cold rain
My home course is hosting a mini tour event today, the Toledo Open. Yesterday, I went out in the evening and was paired with one of the participants who was getting a practice round in (along with most of the field, it seemed). His name is Wes Gates, and he is 2 years removed from playing college at Bowling Green. He plays year round of different mini tours, mainly in the Michigan area in the summer and in Florida in the winter.

First off, he's a super nice guy. Really laid back and friendly. Didn't bother him at all that he was paired with a hack like me.

We played the front 9, and just watching his game was a treat. He was playing the tips, and I was playing one tee box up from him. He hit 3 wood on most holes, and I hit my new Mini 1.5. That combination of differences left us for the most part with similar distances for second shots. It helped me that I was having a good day off the tee.

But that's where any remote similarity ended. From 150 and in, he was lights out almost every shot. I think he only missed one GIR for the 9. But what was jaw dropping was that EVERY SINGLE TIME he dropped a ball to take a second shot, the ball literally ended up inside 10' from the flag. It was incredible his accuracy on approach shots. We all know that approach shots and short game is the key to scoring, but there it was plain as day. While I was having an off day with ball striking with my irons, he was giving himself looks at birdie almost every hole. He drained at least 3 that I can remember.

We had a couple of fun moments which epitomized the Titleist commercial where the message is that we all hit great shots, the pros just do it more often. On the 4th hole, I managed to get inside of his approach shot for the only time of the day. But I was above the hole and he was below it. For the most part the greens were slow, but my birdie putt, which I just tapped, went 10 feet past the hole. He nailed his birdie putt, then went to my ball location and tried 3 putts. He got one within a couple of feet, but no better. He said to me "I'm not going long on this hole tomorrow!". The other one was on the par 5 8th. I had to punch out of a tree and was left with about 230 in from the fairway. The hole is guarded front left and front right by bunkers. It leaves a chute about 10y wide to run the ball up to the green. I've played that shot now about a dozen times, and for some reason it suits my eye and I've never hit the bunkers and most time am left with a putt for the next shot either on or just off the green. He was just talking about how that's a tight shot and not sure he'd go for it. I took my hybrid and hit a fade that started at the left bunker and tailed back so the ball rolled right up to the fringe. He looked at me and said, "that'll work."

After the round, he went straight to the putting green and then back to the short game area as darkness was falling, as did his fellow competitors. Not a single one of them went to the range. It was all putting and short game work to end the day. That really stuck with me. I recognize that right now I am sacrificing time practicing for time on the course, to get as much playing time in while the weather is still good. But once I get past that, I will become a regular in the short game area and the putting green. Learn from the best.

And I have a new pro golfer to cheer for. I will be following Wes and hoping that he can continue to live his dream for a long time to come.

What a great experience. It is always better when the guys are good people.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty neat experience, thanks for sharing! Awesome that he was a nice guy that didn't shy away from really sharing the round with you.

I have only watched pro golfers from the sidelines, but watching them play courses I have played gives you an appreciation of how good they really are and how they manage their way round

The only downside is seeing them hit their tee shot from further back than the tees we usually play, yet hitting their approach shots from closer than we do

Glad you enjoyed it and hope it gave you some good insight into how you could improve your own game

Sweet! It's amazing how good these guys are on approach shots. I'm happy if I hit the green. They are upset if they are outside of 8 feet. It's really amazing playing with tour/tour caliber players - totally different game from what we play.

Thats a pretty neat experience, thanks for sharing! Awesome that he was a nice guy that didn't shy away from really sharing the round with you.

Absolutely was a nice guy. Even shared some thoughts on why he played certain shots the way he did. Loved to talk golf.

One other funny moment happened I forgot to mention. A twosome of pros were playing behind us. On the 8th hole, it's an uphill tee shot that is blind after a certain point. One of them hit it dead middle of the fairway about 10 yards from me. Came up and was immediately apologizing for it. No big deal I said, I was jealous of the shot! Fast forward to his second shot, he was going for the green. By that point I was over by the 9th tee box which is adjacent to the 8th hole about 20 yards or so to the right. He mishits it and it lands again about 10 yards or so from me. As he pulls up, about to apologize, I give him a smile and say "I can stand nest to the hole for you if that will help." He laughed and said, "Maybe I need to hire you to come stand by the hole for sure!". I didn't get his name, but another good moment in a great day.

Cool story, thanks for sharing. Putting and short game...no surprises there. It's preached over and over but few us (myself include) actually practice it like we should.

Neat experience. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Great story, thanks for sharing.

That's awesome, it's fun watching those guys work.

I played with a pro golfer yesterday

The driving isn't too impressive but when you see them hit irons it's unreal .

It's like an earthquake . Nothing better than a crisp iron shot smoked .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats. I have had the pleasure once ... just amazing to to watch their swings ...

Nice story! Thanks for sharing!

I played in a scramble with Issac Sanchez (Big Break), and I played 9 with a young guy who is headed to Europe and to Q school. They have such length, but their short games and putting is really strong.
Really puts into perspective just how good the guys on Tour really are.

That's funny Rob, I didn't play with you yesterday :alien:

Glad you enjoyed a great round out there with someone that knew what they were doing! I bet that was fun to watch and pick his brain a bit.

Very cool experience!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you had some fun and saw some awesome shots. What a cool round.

Your story reminds me of an experience that unfortunately ended tragically. My home club hosted the lady professionals when it was still the Futures tour. Many of the ladies liked to play the course with members to get some local knowledge. I had the pleasure to do so with an extremely attractive and extremely nice young lady named Erica Blasberg. A year of so later, I learned that she committed suicide. While I realize that 18 holes of golf is not going to provide a total insight into an individual, but she was so nice and pleasant, to say I was shocked would be an understatement. Such a tragedy, one never knows.

Very cool story. When I was in high school I was lucky enough to play in a Nationwide pro am. The Nationwide player we were teamed with was a super nice guy also and I too remember being blown away by his short game and just how long he could hit the ball. Great experiences for sure.

Very cool...I always find it really fun to play with a supremely talented golfer, so many jaw dropping shots

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

That is awesome. Always cool to hear stories like this.

Back