Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

My GBB just arrived. I got a 9* with Black tie 75M4. I like the matte grey/black crown and the sole. I'm actually shocked at how shallow the face is. I put it next to my r15 and fly Z+, and it is definitely shallower and looks to have less overall real estate than those. Overall, the head looks smaller than the r15 and fly-z+ as well. I'm hoping to get out in the next few days to get acquainted with it.

I just got a Callaway adapter that I am going to throw on the Grandura. Need figure out how to keep this puppy from going left.

More swinging, less thinking.

More swinging, less thinking.

you know the thinking never gets in the way. Just been a hot and cold club. When it's hot, it's badass.

I am going to get very comfortable with this one over the next 2.5 months. I cannot imagine going with anything else in December, but you never know.

I am going to get very comfortable with this one over the next 2.5 months. I cannot imagine going with anything else in December, but you never know.
Maybe they'll find a better fitting shaft for you? Were you fit for the GBB or just pick one? What I would ponder is if the Mini will stay in the bag with the new FW offerings they've got
Grats on getting in on the Grandaddy, btw! Way cool!!

Maybe they'll find a better fitting shaft for you? Were you fit for the GBB or just pick one? What I would ponder is if the Mini will stay in the bag with the new FW offerings they've got
Grats on getting in on the Grandaddy, btw! Way cool!!

Good questions man. I picked the Rogue based on what I know about my swing. Having access to all of the shafts won't hurt. As for the mini, it will be tough to unseat it based on what I use it for, but I am going in 100% with an open mind.

you know the thinking never gets in the way. Just been a hot and cold club. When it's hot, it's badass.

Its 12 billion times better than the 2.0. BILLION.

You just need to unleash the Dean-Beast.

Good questions man. I picked the Rogue based on what I know about my swing. Having access to all of the shafts won't hurt. As for the mini, it will be tough to unseat it based on what I use it for, but I am going in 100% with an open mind.
Open mind is the only way my friend. I did the same on initial shaft during some testing inside. What came out is something different. Not saying it will happen with everyone, was just amazed at what trying different shafts did for me.

I finally put my GBB in play yesterday. I haven't been out for two weeks, so I was a little unsure how my overall game would be. I'll start by saying the only adjustment I made to the driver was that I moved the sliding weight 1 slot to the left (fade). I kept the loft at 10.5, and I'm playing with the Project X LZ Red shaft. Also to note, I'm coming from a Titleist 913 D3 with an Aldila RIP Alpha 70x.

I hit 11 drivers yesterday, and went 7/11 on fairways hit. When I normally play that course, I usually hit about 8 or 9. Made an exception yesterday to hit this a few extra times.

The first thing I noticed was the sound of this club. I'm usually pretty picky about the sound, so it's a pretty big deal-breaker for me. It's different than what I'm used to, but I was very comfortable with the sound. I actually may have liked it more than my Titleist.

The second thing I noticed was the forgiveness. My first three drives were hit off-center, but the results were still solid. The first two were a little off the heel, and the 3rd was a little low on the face. The ball flight on all three ended up being pretty straight, which was nice to see. Of course I lost some distance, but it was minimal...especially from what I used to see.

Now to the good part...the drives I caught in the center felt extremely smooth. The ball just seemed to absolutely JUMP off the face. After I'd hit a good one, I was pretty anxious to just finish the hole and get to the next tee box to hit another one. I really enjoyed the combination of the sound and feel of the good ones, which is a huge factor for me.

I would describe the ball flight I had as pretty straight with a slight draw, which is perfect for me. On two of the drives, I executed small cuts on command, which was great to see. I think I'll keep the sliding weight where it is for the time being.

As for the loft, I may drop it down to 9.5, but I'm going to give 10.5 more time. A few were a little higher than the Titleist, which was expected because I played that at 9.5. However, I'm enjoying the flight and want to see more before I make that change.

The biggest change for me will be going from a black face to a gray face, which will take some time but is the least of my worries. The setup at address is very comfortable, but I'm not used to seeing a gray face. I guess that's a good thing if that's the biggest adjustment!

I hope to play next weekend, and I'm looking forward to getting more action with the GBB.

I gave this a demo today against my 815 but I ALWAYS struggle with demoing on the range outside. I hit the GBB with the bassara, KK, and the new speeder 665 and honestly didnt see much difference between the KK and speeder. The bassara went way high and right most of the time for me. I hit about 20 balls with the GBB and 20 with my 815 and did not see much difference. However, when I demo'd the 815 against my old gamer I didnt see much change either. I still bought the 815 and saw way better results on course. Not writing this one off by any means actually thinking about grabbing one with a KK stiff to put in the bag. I have the speeder 665 in my 815 and while i think its a touch heavy for me the accuracy is the best ive seen to date.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I got a shipping notification last night! Can't wait to put this thing in play.

Good thoughts vthokies. Looking forward to following along with your trials.

GBB showed up last night. Tournament this weekend.

Sadly, my schedule will really only allow for a range session on Saturday morning before teeing off, so I need to decide if I am going to make the switch "cold" or not. Coming from the BBA 815, I don't think it would be too much of a change?

Im gonna need you to say that to me a few times in California lol

I'm here for you. Dean will have to yell at me to hit the damn iron, so we will all help eachother!

I keep getting more and more comfortable with this one, I do think I'm going to crank up the loft today and just let it fly to see how that goes. I've said it a million times, but on misses, I've honestly never seen anything like this where it pertains to minimizing the damage. No, it doesn't fix a swing, but I've got a WAY better chance of being in play. Its truly replaced my beloved 815, and taken things to a new level.

Im gonna need you to say that to me a few times in California lol

I'm here for you. Dean will have to yell at me to hit the damn iron, so we will all help eachother!

I keep getting more and more comfortable with this one, I do think I'm going to crank up the loft today and just let it fly to see how that goes. I've said it a million times, but on misses, I've honestly never seen anything like this where it pertains to minimizing the damage. No, it doesn't fix a swing, but I've got a WAY better chance of being in play. Its truly replaced my beloved 815, and taken things to a new level.

lol I was going to say it's a two way street.

Wait, can I get the cool Ryder Cup earpiece setup?

whatever you'd like cap. You can also warn me when you are about to unleash GBB. Need to make sure I'm far enough out of reach.

whatever you'd like cap. You can also warn me when you are about to unleash GBB. Need to make sure I'm far enough out of reach.

GBB bombs will be taking over The Hideaway I think. Love it.

I literally just pounded this thing at the range. I mean took this thing to pound town. 40 balls, hit hard (for me) and worked my way into a groove. I am having some success with it based on ball fight and really like what I am seeing.

I literally just pounded this thing at the range. I mean took this thing to pound town. 40 balls, hit hard (for me) and worked my way into a groove. I am having some success with it based on ball fight and really like what I am seeing.

I know we sound like broken records, but its merited. This club is truly just something else and I've continued to see it be fit to a variety of skill levels and spin/launch needs.

I am holding off until I can spend time with this on fligtscope and the course with THPers but it has been hard.

Back