Its a good question. The US made it damn close anyways so I'm not sure but I think it's hard to deny that there was some serious added motivation and fire that came from that situation. Interesting to think about it. Glad we pulled it off tho haha

Does the US win if this fiasco on 17 doesn't occur?

I'd say no. The USA seems to really struggle to take these events as seriously as the Europeans. Just my opinion, but pettersen probably screwed Europe by being a giant ****

I'd say no. The USA seems to really struggle to take these events as seriously as the Europeans. Just my opinion, but pettersen probably screwed Europe by being a giant ****
I looked up the "C" word just now, it showed Petterson .

No rebroadcast kind of blows.

No way US pulls it out without that "event" on 17.

Question is now how will Peterson be received going forward. Actions like that seem to haunt a person for a while

No rebroadcast kind of blows.

No way US pulls it out without that "event" on 17.

Question is now how will Peterson be received going forward. Actions like that seem to haunt a person for a while
I think people kinda thought she was a b!tch before this haha I did anyways. I don't think it'll change much

I was thinking...even if my partner was on the other side of the green, i would not "start walking to them" with a putt still to be putted, I would just look over at them & a simple nod would work. No doubt she should have confirmed if it was given or not but this story that Hull was walking to her partner does not work for me, add in the fact that Hull was so upset there was def some major confusion.

Peterson will stick to the decision she made and play the "we followed the rules card" for the rest of carreer. Bottom line is Lee should not have picked up but would they have conceded the putt? I think so but since she picked up so quickly Peterson took advantage of it and won the match because of it. The fact that the U.S. Schooled them in singles is pretty sweet revenge. I think this gave Stamford the fuel she needed to beat her in singles. What a great match she played..

I think people kinda thought she was a b!tch before this haha I did anyways. I don't think it'll change much

I've read a lot of opinions on this situation today, and that's been the resounding opinion.

Not sure why everyone just doesn't putt out in these events. Not a surprise that it leads to gamesmanship.

6 inches, a foot, 18 inches... put the ball in the hole.

Suzann Pettersen was well within her rights and the rules of golf to call the penalty that caused them to win the hole.

How quickly people forget when in 1980, the Americans made Annika Sorenstam replay a 35 ft chip in after she played out of turn by not being furthest from the hole (by about 2-3 ft). The Americans won the match but ended up losing the cup. Another example of Karma.

Europe 1 - USA -1 Lets hope it ends here.

Suzann Pettersen was well within her rights and the rules of golf to call the penalty that caused them to win the hole.

How quickly people forget when in 1980, the Americans made Annika Sorenstam replay a 35 ft chip in after she played out of turn by not being furthest from the hole. The Americans won the match but ended up losing the cup. Another example of Karma.

You're comparing a replayed chip to a conceded hole? It's nowhere close to the same.

It's a pathetic attempt to gain an advantage and take advantage of a situation like that. Classy people would concede the putt that was going in 10 times out of 10. She lost any chance of being genuine when she tried to claim it was a three footer. Even Laura Davies destroyed her for it.

Laura Davies, the veteran who has appeared in a record 12 Solheim teams, saw it rather differently. “I’m disgusted,” the Englishwoman said on Sky Sports. “Charley Hull has just won a point and she is in floods of tears. That tells you the wrong thing was done. How Suzann can justify that I will never, ever know. She has let herself down and she has certainly let her team down.

“I’m so glad I’m not on that team this time. Pettersen will regret this. If the US go on to win, there’s only one person to blame.”

This should be a gathering. Should we procure a hotel now? I'm game to fly in for THPer/Solheim weekend.

I see a cycle trip in my future.

I'm quite certain nobody questioned I it were with-in the boundaries of the rules of golf. However, sportsmanship and class, and what's best for the game and all that is good for these events. It was grossly handled by SP.

This is the first I have seen of Davies' comments. Holy Wow! This could haunt SP for a while. She just came out of a slump of sorts too.

Meanwhile, the Americans allowed themselves to be motivated and inspired by a challenging circumstance. #Victory!

As has already been said, Davies comments are Prophetic.

JM

How quickly people forget when in 1980, the Americans made Annika Sorenstam replay a 35 ft chip in after she played out of turn by not being furthest from the hole (by about 2-3 ft). The Americans won the match but ended up losing the cup. Another example of Karma.

Apples and oranges. Sorenstam's was an unambiguous rules situation. All you need is a ruler to figure it out. In this case Hull's non-verbal act appeared to be a concession. It is Lee's responsibility to be certain. But there's no question Pettersen took advantage of the confusion caused by Hull to win a hole. Yes, that's technically within her rights but it's certainly not in the spirit of the game or the event. She has earned whatever criticism she is receiving.

I watched it a few times now. Read somewhere with quotes from Lincicome said she told Lee not to pick up the ball because she had not heard a concession. To me that means there was doubt. It's unfortunate because the cup was pretty awesome to watch.

I watched it a few times now. Read somewhere with quotes from Lincicome said she told Lee not to pick up the ball because she had not heard a concession. To me that means there was doubt. It's unfortunate because the cup was pretty awesome to watch.

It was mentioned that Lincicome was saying something to her like "no, no, no" as she swiped the ball up with the he putter, but it was too late.

On one hand I can see where during the match those length putts were being conceded and watching the euros wall off the green towards the next tee she thought it was good.

On the other hand it's match play and you should always putt out regardless bc you never know.

You're comparing a replayed chip to a conceded hole? It's nowhere close to the same.

It's a pathetic attempt to gain an advantage and take advantage of a situation like that. Classy people would concede the putt that was going in 10 times out of 10. She lost any chance of being genuine when she tried to claim it was a three footer. Even Laura Davies destroyed her for it.

I would disagree. in 1980, the replay of the holed chip in and miss on the replay caused loss of hole and eventually a loss in the match 2&1. The rules of golf were not followed then and under the rules of golf Annika was forced to replay the shot.

Today, a putt was NOT conceded, a player picked up the ball without marking it causing a penalty and ultimately loss of hole.

The rules of golf were enforced in both situations thus protecting the integrity of the game.

I have no issues calling a penalty on someone or myself to protect the field, my team mates or my own integrity.

Sure, I feel bad for Allison Lee since she thought the putt had been conceded by her opponent and picked up the ball only to find out her opponents had not conceded the putt.

In a press conference, Charley Hull explained she was walking over to Suzann to discuss about conceding the putt but Allison Lee picked up the ball before they could consult and decide to concede the putt or not. I have no reason to doubt Charley Hull regarding her statement.

Its a competition and the rules of golf should be followed. It was unfortunate the rules of golf did not allow for the ball to be replaced and play continued from there. It just shows that some of the rules of golf do not seem equitable all of the time.

It was an unfortunate series of events that led to this controversy of "Rules of Golf" vs. "Spirit of the Game".

Class is defined as showing stylish excellence. Class has no bearing on whether or not to concede a putt. Its called gamesmanship and if someone wants to make someone putt out a 2 inch putt, so be it, its a mental part of the game and your opponent has the right to do it. I personally would not have given a two foot putt to a Solheim Cup rookie on the 17th hole of a even match.

We all have our opinions. Laura Davies has hers, I have mine and you have yours.

Apples and oranges. Sorenstam's was an unambiguous rules situation. All you need is a ruler to figure it out. In this case Hull's non-verbal act appeared to be a concession. It is Lee's responsibility to be certain. But there's no question Pettersen took advantage of the confusion caused by Hull to win a hole. Yes, that's technically within her rights but it's certainly not in the spirit of the game or the event. She has earned whatever criticism she is receiving.

If Annika had missed the chip, I guarantee a penalty would not have been called.

I agree it was Lee's rule violation and responsibility. While I can understand Hulls non verbal act can appear to be concession, Hull never conceded. All competitors were told to make sure they had a concession before picking up ball. Obviously, that did not happen. Pettersen made her statements within 60 seconds of the incident. Questionable at best about taking unfair advantage. Well within her rights and a victim of circumstance since the rules did not allow for reversal. Tough competitor who stuck to her guns saying she wanted to see Allison Lee putt it out even in the news conference afterwards.

Successfully avoided learning the score and just got finished watching my DVR recording.

Holy crap! What a freaking comeback. That putt by Pillar on 18 was one of the most pressure-packed situations I've ever seen. And Lexi Thompson pulling out that half. Christie Kerr down big early and freaking steamrolling back. Special mention to Angela Stanford, Allison Lee & Lizette Salas. I didn't think they had enough game to go out and win their matches.

If you missed this one, you really missed out.

Last edited:
I'm quite certain nobody questioned I it were with-in the boundaries of the rules of golf. However, sportsmanship and class, and what's best for the game and all that is good for these events. It was grossly handled by SP.

I think thats unfair towards SP. Many have missed these short pressure putts and if its not conceeded then its not conceeded. Its a mistake from the american team. The US player is at fault for getting into this situation and not SP. No way putts are given when the match is so close and so few holes left. Shame on you all for giving SP the blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I just don't understand is that if Petterson had left the green then how did she know Lee had picked up the putt?
It's unfortunate as someone's breach of rules has resulted in the stigmatization of someone else who is playing by them.
Rules are rules after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back