The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

I need to get up to DFW and play some match play prep with you..

Hell yes brother, bring it! I give good advice and can hopefully give you a respectable challenge.

Hell yes brother, bring it! I give good advice and can hopefully give you a respectable challenge.

Ok Cookie I was going to PM you this question but out of respect to my captain, my team and one of the pillars holding this team together, I'll ask it so everyone can see it.

As a former captain and former participant, is there anything you wish you had done differently? Anything you wish you had known ahead of time?

Ok Cookie I was going to PM you this question but out of respect to my captain, my team and one of the pillars holding this team together, I'll ask it so everyone can see it.

As a former captain and former participant, is there anything you wish you had done differently? Anything you wish you had known ahead of time?

Yes....allow me to expound on tomorrow from PC instead of phone I'm on now please.

It will most likely have to be a Sunday round bc my daughter has soccer on Saturdays until mid Nov

It will most likely have to be a Sunday round bc my daughter has soccer on Saturdays until mid Nov

We will make it work...lets take it to the DFW thread so we don't get this one too off track.

I'll make anything work to help out the 2015 crew....we need an effin victory and REDEMPTION!!!

So how are your spouses with your Grandaddy participation?

Do they get "it"? Are they supportive of all of the time you are spending in preparation?

Mine is fully supportive even though I had to use the last of my vacation time. She is amazing considering it meant not seeing her as much because of our year apart.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Done differently......easy in hindsight to pick things out now especially after how I see someone else doing things now. I absolutely love and respect how James is bringing everything to the forum. While the 2014 crew was here and posting a ton, we also had offline dialogue which I believe led to conversations that could have taken place on the forum and did not.....even sock color discussions. :act-up: All in all, I'm happy with how I handled most things as a captain, it's not my natural role and I'm not a big motivator. I think I did a good job when it came to pairings and putting us in a position with a good chance to win which we did have.

As a competitor....I have more regrets there and would do things differently in hindsight. I would go into it with more of an open mind as it relates to what clubs make it into the bag. I really had my mind made up what I was going to go with without even trying any of it. Go into it with an open mind, trust the fitter, and don't doubt your ability.

My biggest regret was post event and how I feel that I didn't follow up with feedback to the forum as it related to the clubs that I was lucky enough to have built for me. They deserved better than what I provided in that regard.

As far as what I would have liked to known ahead of time I can't think of anything. The plans were laid out well in advance and Callaway planned everything absolutely perfectly. No surprises were thrown at me from a captaincy perspective

#Cookie, I absolutely adore that post, and be assure I will be picking your brain very very soon.

So, I have some questions for my #TeamRedemption players, and I truly hope everyone takes the time to reply and expound on their thoughts here, will be useful in the weeks to come for all of us both playing and following here on the forum.

1. What do you think is your biggest strength on the golf course? Why/how?
  2. What do you think is your biggest weakness on the golf course? Why/how?
  3. What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the strengths?
  4. What is your history of competitive golf situations?
  5. In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in competition? Why?
  6. In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect? Be honest.

I'll even use your wonderful colors

1. What do you think is your biggest strength on the golf course? Why/how? Currently, short game. Bunker play has been really strong this year. Getting off the tee has been much improved from years past too.
  2. What do you think is your biggest weakness on the golf course? Why/how? Avoiding the big blow up hole. Been killing my scores all year. have had multiple rounds this year with scores in the 83-85 range while still having a 8-10 on the card.
  3. What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the strengths? Work on making better decisions. Take my medicine and move on.
  4. What is your history of competitive golf situations? up and down. Have had some really good stretches, and some not so good stretches.
  5. In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in competition? Why? I like to play with someone who is focused, but plays a relaxed game.
  6. In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect? Be honest. I think I can play my game. Hard for me to say because that situation has only happened a few times in my life when my buddies used to do some cash tournaments. Still a relaxed situation by with $ on the line there is something to play for. From talking to some Grandaddy Alumni, I've been told it can be very hard when you play a par 3 and you are giving 2 pops.

Jman! Well done brother well done!

Great stuff. Looks like you guys will be coming to this well prepared and under terrific captaincy.

Great questions, James. I'll post up my answers when I'm at a computer.

1. What do you think is your biggest strength on the golf course? Why/how? I would probably say my tee game is my biggest strength. Going into this season it was the clear strength of mine, but my short game has really improved as well. But for my tee game and why its my strength, i would say distance plus FIR % would be why. This season im just under 70% FIR and if driver isnt the play, i can club down and still give it a decent poke
  2. What do you think is your biggest weakness on the golf course? Why/how? Biggest weakness is GIR. Its getting better as of lately, but generally im only averaging 6 GIR per round. I honestly think a big part of it is just alignment, which is something im working hard on, and creating a routine that is comfortable to me and repeatable.
  3. What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the strengths? I touched on it in the previous answer, but alignment is something im working a lot on. Getting through the ball and pointing my belt buckle at the target, finding a pre shot routine that works for me and trusting the ball flight. For the longest time i would hit big slices with my irons (i called them power fades) so its very easy now for me to be lined up too far to the left and end up hitting a nice high draw that should be at the green but is now left simply because i didnt align myself properly to my target. Aside from that, putting is getting a lot of focus.
  4. What is your history of competitive golf situations? The 2015 Gauntlet was my first taste of team competition on a golf course. My first ever team match was so incredible. I was really able to feed off of the entire group, not just my partner, and play some real solid golf. Playing with the Zoo Crew will teach you a few things. One is playing golf is a great thing, but throw in some competition and make sure you are having a blast while doing it?? nothing better
  5. In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in competition? Why? Strong iron player probably. Obviously this is going to depend on format, but having a partner that is able to pick me up at my weakness would help a ton.
  6. In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect? Be honest. You have to be able to understand that you can only control the controllable. As long as im honest with myself about my own handicap, giving up strokes isnt an issue. I can only hit my own shot, and theres a lot i need to be focused on just with that. Spending any amount of time or energy worrying about an opponent is a waste.

Let's continue using the colors!

What do you think is your biggest strength on the golf course? Why/how? My biggest strength would have to be my scrambling ability. Whether its recovering from a bad tee shot or an errant second/approach shot, i've gotten really good at forgetting the last shot and playing the one i'm faced with. Putting/Short game is a close second. Thinking in terms of not swinging a club, i'm pretty good mentally. I don't get rattled easily and I play my game. I don't worry if others are hitting it further or are more precise with their irons.

What do you think is your biggest weakness on the golf course? Why/how? My weakness has truly been round dependent, one day it's my driving, another it's my approach/iron shots. There is no rhyme or reason for it other than not playing/practicing enough. In the past when I played regularly I was able to groove a swing that allowed me to score and manage my way around a course. A close second would be trusting my abilities and eliminate self doubt that creeps in and makes me play more conservative than i should.

What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the strengths? Tempo, Tempo, Tempo. I know when I am off i'm rushing myself. I have created a practice/playing schedule that will have me on the course twice a week at least and engrain my swing tempo so it's an afterthought. I'm not making any wholesale changes, but rather understanding my misses and making sure i can still play decent golf and score when the opportunities present themselves.

What is your history of competitive golf situations? Outside of THP Invitational's not much. My competitive situations are usually money games and a yearly Ryder Cup style event i play in every year here locally. It's 36 holes in one day. I've played pretty good in those and once year it came down to my 15 foot putt on 18 to win. Making that putt is an experience I always lean on as proof that I can do it. The money games I play in can get out of hand quickly and they have put me in some pressure situations where I have executed. there are a few other situations where i draw from a positive outcome to keep reminding myself i can execute when needed.
In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in competition? Why? I think I could be paired with anyone. If I had my choice I need someone who talks and will not get lost on me if we are down as a team or if things are not going as expected. I'm vocal, I will talk to you and get you back on track/cheer you on the best I can. I will not let my teammate sulk or get down on themselves. Playing wise I need someone who hits iron shots consistently as this is probably the biggest area i would lean on a partner for help.

In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect? Be honest Giving up strokes doesn't bother me. If it's part of the format and the match i'm involved in so be it. I will not press or allow myself to get out of my normal game. All I can do is be as consistent as I can and when the dust settles count up the scores and be happy.

Last edited:
Naturally, I will answer as well.

• What do you think is your biggest strength on the golf course? Why/how?
  • Length and ball-striking. I'm definitely a capable iron player and when I just go play have plenty of distance which allows for me to play a hole differently than just bashing driver every time, it lets smart golf come into play, if I let it. Also pretty confident on the greens, I've just always been that way.

• What do you think is your biggest weakness on the golf course? Why/how?
  • I have the uncanny ability to get in my own way mentally as it pertains to the tee-box and wanting to play a club (driver) just because others are as well instead of just playing within myself. I also am struggling on my short game at the moment, particularly that 50-100 yard range.
  • What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the strengths?
  • I've really started in on my short game again, lots of time in the yard pitching and also chipping as much as I can when I'm at the putting green at my course. For the mental aspect, I'm really forcing myself to play to numbers when I'm not reviewing something, I did quite well with this at Disney playing with 441 and only a couple of times did I push when I didn't need to. The other aspect is finding a club, non-driver, off the tee that I can 100% feel comfortable with in terms of KNOWING its the go to when I must hit a fairway, and I think I have found it in the new heavenwood.
  • What is your history of competitive golf situations?
  • THP events mainly, won a couple, tied a couple, and usually play quite consistently. Will say though that in the MC Ddec and I leaked oil in a bad way, but that match truly taught me more than anything else I have gone through, that was a prime example of not having a go-to shot/routine/club to lean on when things go a little sideways as they can in this crazy game. Singles is an interesting history as I hit a wall called Canadan at the MC and was blistered pretty good, but I learned a ton that round.
  • In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in competition? Why?
  • Ideally? A player who is consistent and confident off of the tee which would let me swing away, but with that said I have no issues being the one who plays for the fairway and lets my partner swing away. One of my big strengths is that I have become 1000% more adaptable depending on the situation and playing to bring out the best in myself and my partner. Mentally in a pairing I've gone from being a liability to it really being something I'm confident that I can turn it into a strength and help keep my partners mind clear and in the moment.
  • In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect? Be honest.
  • I don't know honestly, I've never been faced with giving up 10+ strokes to a player. I like to believe I can focus on my game and know that if I simply PLAY TO MY PERSONAL HANDICAP then the rest will take care of itself.

Bump for the rest of the members of #TeamRedemption to, hopefully, reply. IMO its a fun and interesting conversation/bit-of-info.

LOVE this!
Can't wait to hear from the rest of the team,

Great stuff guys. Enjoying all the thoughts.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Great stuff so far fellas! It's good to be honest and answer these questions. This will only help the team and yourself to find the areas where you need to focus more, as well as where you can help your teammates. Even though you're all separated by distance, being there to help motivate your brother's in arms, is key to developing and growing as a team. Keep up the good work and REDEMPTION is sure to come for THP!

I tried to reuse the colors, but clearly I suck, so used indents instead.

What do you think is your biggest strength on the golf course? Why/how?

Not long ago, I would have said my driver, as I had a knack for finding fairways all day long, but I'm in a bit of a rough patch off the tee, so I'll say my hybrids and irons are my new number 1. I'm the most consistent with both, and my misses with my irons are much much smaller than misses anywhere else.​

What do you think is your biggest weakness on the golf course? Why/how?

See above, currently it is my driver/tee game. When I'm in the zone I'm in great shape, but this is the part of my game that is the most inconsistent right now and the easiest to rattle.​

What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the strengths?

I'm working extensively on trying to re-groove my driver swing; part of the problem is I stopped trusting it and started thinking about it and bad things happened. I'm working on getting reps in to where it becomes automatic again.​

What is your history of competitive golf situations?

I've played in two competitive team golf events; the 2014 Morgan Cup and the 2015 #TheKing. Both times, my game rose to new heights that I had no idea were possible. I think it's the increased focus that competition brings for me, but I seem to play better in these events.​

In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in competition? Why?

If I can get my driver back to where it was, I would want someone who can bomb the ball and I'd play the safe shot first. If my driver doesn't come back, I'd want someone who could put me in the fairway and let me go to work.​

In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect? Be honest.

I've never really thought about what my opponents were doing or let it impact my game plan. In the MC, I didn't get any strokes and was playing someone who had a lower index than me, and played my best golf up to that point. I think if I focus on my game, and play to my ability, the strokes won't matter.

Back