Shaft recommendations

Deadsquiggles

Shank Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Handicap
I need some shaft recommendations. I got on a launch monitor with my current driver because I wanted to compare it to the new F8 and looking at the numbers has me thinking I’m losing carry distance from spin. My launch angle was between 12* and 13* consistently but my spin rate was consistently 3500 and the shots were ballooning according to the monitor. My current driver is an F7 set at 9.5* with the stock Fuji Pro 60 shaft in stiff flex.

So I compared my driver to the only Cobra driver that Golf Galaxy has in stock which was the F8+ set at 9.5* with the Aldila NV 2KXV Green in stiff flex. The numbers were extremely similar. Apex was consistently going over 42 yards with high backspin.

carry for both clubs was good at around 250 yards but almost no roll. Any suggestions? And I would do a fitting but I have to drive for 4 hours to find someone with multiple shafts in stock to try.

What was your angle of attack? Guessing slightly negative?

I'm by no means an expert on shaft design, but it sounds to me like you may benefit from lofting up and going with a heavier, tip-stiff shaft.

I would probably get numbers similar to yours if I hit a stock-shafted driver set at 9.5, so I play at 10.5 with a shaft that would typically be recommended for players with higher swing speed than mine. The UST Axivcore Green -- paired with a D2 10.5 head -- has done the trick for me.

What was your angle of attack? Guessing slightly negative?

+2.5*. Not sure why it was spinning so high but it was consistent. Any recommendations for a Projext X shaft?

+2.5*. Not sure why it was spinning so high but it was consistent. Any recommendations for a Projext X shaft?

That is odd to have that high of spin with a positive angle of attack. How confident are you in the LM and operator?

HZRDUS Black will knock spin down, but LA too. I think it is still a no upcharge at Cobra and I think it is in their fitting carts so maybe when the F8 carts come out you can try that.

That is odd to have that high of spin with a positive angle of attack. How confident are you in the LM and operator?

HZRDUS Black will knock spin down, but LA too. I think it is still a no upcharge at Cobra and I think it is in their fitting carts so maybe when the F8 carts come out you can try that.

Only problem is that they don’t carry Cobra anymore. The F8 was only there because someone special ordered and never picked it up. I asked about there shaft selection and it’s basically the standard shafts for Titleist, Ping and Callaway drivers.

that spin doesn't seem crazy high to me. tough to say whether 250y carry is losing distance without knowing swing speed or ball speed.

hzrdus black or yellow may help, or evenflow black for a smoother feel.

EDIT: DBTT caught it before I did.

Have you used this launch monitor in the past and know of its accuracy? Could you by chance be catching them lower on the face? Not thin mind you, but low, which could increase spin, decrease launch angle.

The launch monitor is accurate as far as I can tell. When I bought my F7 and my TMB 3 Iron, I tried them both out on the same monitor and what I saw on the screen was consistent with what I see while playing.

Edit: Swing speed was 98-101 and ball speed was around 143.

I would venture the spin is off, I don't see how you can get 250 carry with that ball speed if the spin is that high. I wouldn't make any purchases on shafts before double checking. After that follow the advice DBTT gives.

That or the altitude on the sim was set to 7000 feet.

Also I was wrong about launch angle, mine was 15* to 16* and the guy was saying 12-14 is optimum. Brain fart.

That makes sense for the peak height you were getting then. In theory 15 is fine with a +AOA and low spin, that will carry tons. Add too much spin or 10mph + wind and you balloon.

That makes sense for the peak height you were getting then. In theory 15 is fine with a +AOA and low spin, that will carry tons. Add too much spin or 10mph + wind and you balloon.

So then it seems if I double check the numbers on another monitor, and get the same numbers, I might consider getting a new shaft.

So then it seems if I double check the numbers on another monitor, and get the same numbers, I might consider getting a new shaft.

Yes 100%, also check strike location, driver head maybe, swing weight. As far as individual shaft recommendations there are plenty of smart people who would be better able to answer that on here and in this thread. Keep in mind the answer might be two part, better shaft and a swing flaw that fixing would help.

Back