Are You A Pressure Golfer?

Depends. I have closed out some matches strong and let a few, one in particular, wilt away that would have had an impressive reward for it.

I enjoy pressure situations and have performed well under them at times,
but there have also been plenty of times where I've played poorly under pressure. It's something I enjoy working on though, as it's pretty fun when you find yourself doing well in those situations.

I don't always come through, but I've played some of my best golf when the stakes are high. There is nothing like feeling the pressure but being able to focus that pressure into good golf.

I enjoy competition and pressure. Rising to the occasion, on the course, has been a journey for me. As I improve parts of my game, that helps me have more confidence when there is something on the line.

1 Do you come through when stakes are high?
2 When something on the line does it bring out your best?
3 Do you enjoy the pressure?

1-Right now I do, but I used not to. Or not in stroke play, I am awesome in matchplay.
2-Yes
3-Very much so, with a big but.. I've picked up golf to relax, not to have more pressure. My work brings me some serious stress and when I feel golf isn't giving me the relaxation I need, I quit playing matches. Have done so just a few weeks ago as I felt it would harm me more then I'd gain from it. (Club championships at my old course where I was a top3 favorite while the pressure at work was killing me too.)

Why do I handle pressure better now then say 18 months ago? Because I've worked on my weaker points, because I know I'll walk away when needed. But also because my mindset is different: I play to have fun, try really hard to be good, but know there's plenty people better then me and it's no shame to lose.

I love pressure,and play better in competition. Hence last week,shot my lowest scores of a season under pressure in a unfamiliar course and traveling. I seem to play better and better every round. Shot 7 shots under my cap while doing so as well.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used to think I wasn't, but my singles match in the 2013 Morgan Cup proved to me that I can play well with something on the line. I do enjoy playing a little more when there is something at stake.

I'm getting better in those pressure situations. Yeah there's an uneasy and anxious feeling but it's becoming more enjoyable the more I'm in that spot.

No I am not a good pressure golfer. I'm a front runner and don't relinquish leads to often. I gave up playing professional golf because I couldn't handle the presssure.

That being said, I feel that I have enough game to claw back if I am down. I try to play steady unless in the lead, then I try to apply a little pressure.

Yup there are 2 times when I didn't and 1 still bothers me because I never showed up in spirit.

#redemption!

I love competitive golf, but don't really think I fell anymore pressure than normal rounds. As to how I perform, it has been a mixed bag. I have made cuts and missed cuts, made birdie on 18 to win and missed birdie on 18 to lose and won money/lost money. I approach each round as a new day and what I did previously has no barring on that round.

I think for me it depends on where the pressure is coming from. I'm not as comfortable holding the lead as I am fighting to take the lead. I'd much rather have pressure to work harder and "make a shot" rather than a "don't mess up now" type of situation. Also it would depend on if it's singles or team play. Singles is much more pressure to me than having a partner. I dont even know if that makes sense but yeah....

I love playing under pressure.

Don't know. I've only played for fun. But in my work and other sport activities, my ability to think clearly and take action under pressure has been a consistent strength.

The more pressure the better. When I play casually I get especially sloppy.

I've noticed this especially since #THPLegacy I just go out and hack it around. And it isn't like I played great in Myrtle but I made some shots when I needed them and that is a feeling you can't replicate in an average round.

I'm not good enough right now to be a "pressure golfer" as defined in the OP. I can be consistent, but if you need a birdie, you'd better call Freddie.

I do enjoy the pressure though!

Not really. I'm really good when I'm a head. I'm awful when I need to make up ground.

I've always enjoyed competition, and until this year, averaged about 30 tournaments per year (3 golf associations). I think pressure often elevates my game. I know I'm getting older, but can still shock some people, and have, including myself. ;)

I have really come to enjoy being there, but still don't execute as often as I would like. THP events and the things learned here in the forums have made me much more comfortable in those situations.

JM

This is an area I need to improve on. I have noticed that I havent been performing consistently with these situations. If I know I need a score or if I am playing well and know that a PR is in play, I start to struggle and tighten up. I would like to chalk it up to not playing a ton until this year and not being in a competitive situation for a while. Not real sure how to improve in it other then to just do it.

Ha! I'm the complete opposite of a pressure golfer. I'm absolutely terrible under pressure. The really X ad thing is that I've never been under any real pressure. I've never played competitively, and never gamble on the course. Just the pressure of "a good shot here will give you a shot at par" is usually enough pressure to get me to flub a chip or something.

Do you come through when stakes are high?
When something on the line does it bring out your best?
Do you enjoy the pressure?

I'll let you know on Friday when you guys are heckling me during my fitting at #staffproto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do I come through? Sometimes. Sometimes not. I'm not good enough to say it's because / in spite of any pressure, though. Hit some brilliant shots, hit some stinkers.
I don't play for anything that's going to hurt. I'm not Lee Trevino. I play hard for whatever is on the line, but it ain't the mortgage.
Do I enjoy pressure? A certain amount, sure. I've had absolutely crushing pressure in other activities, and despite being about 50/50 in those, I didn't enjoy it. Golf, bring it on. Work or family, keep it.

I think Ive gotten much better under pressure than I used to be. One of the understandings ive come to is that Id rather want to win more than Im afraid to lose.

I gamble on the course pretty much every weekend and play tournaments as much as time and money allow. When I started this, i rarely pulled out a shot when i needed to or strung a run of good holes together to make a comeback or cement a lead.

I still fail regularly but my rate of success/failure is much closer to 1:1 than it ever used to be. Ive won a couple tournaments this year with some clutch play when it counted, and that wouldnt have happened with the wisdom and knowledge of previous failures. There were alot of failures lol

I haven't played in a competitive golf event since high school, so I'm not sure how I would do under pressure. Hopefully I will make an event and find out in 2016.

Back