Who wants to go hit yellow rocks with their 4 iron tonight???

rxk9fan

Reaction score
Handicap
I went to the range after work today as I so enjoy the feeling of stealing a day from winter. It was not warm but tolerable for sure. Let me jump straight to the stupid part and comments are certainly welcome. I have noted in a few places here that I just came back to golf after a 9 year lay off after suffering what was described by surgeons as "catastrophic compound fractures" to both arms. Now to the range:

I hit not one but two large buckets of balls plus a few I scrounged that other players left when they got cold. There is no grass this time of year so I hit off of hard, heavily warn mats. The balls are now almost 12 months old, hard as rocks and some are barely round. I hit about 15 with my gap wedge and ALL THE REST with my 4 iron. It was punishing to my arms and wrist but I just kept hitting them because about 70% are well hit 4 irons and my little brain says I can do better and why....besides I am stupid!! Is there anyone else out there trying to groove their 4 irons in winter hitting yellow rocks with stripes?

I know I am talking to myself but I think I need to quit beating myself up under those conditions, but if you came to my house and said "let's go hit some yellow rocks with 4 irons" I would beat you to the car. I might hit 71% well?

Seriously, my wedges were what kept me from knocking 2 or 3 points off my handicap this year. I think I need someone to say, take all your clubs out of your truck and work on wedges around the practice green this winter. I hurt worse than normal tonight but I know the pain won't keep my 4 iron out of the truck. I need to justify that move as the road to better scores next spring.
Thanks for letting me waste bandwidth :) Just frustrated with myself!!!!

I went to the range after work today as I so enjoy the feeling of stealing a day from winter. It was not warm but tolerable for sure. Let me jump straight to the stupid part and comments are certainly welcome. I have noted in a few places here that I just came back to golf after a 9 year lay off after suffering what was described by surgeons as "catastrophic compound fractures" to both arms. Now to the range:

I hit not one but two large buckets of balls plus a few I scrounged that other players left when they got cold. There is no grass this time of year so I hit off of hard, heavily warn mats. The balls are now almost 12 months old, hard as rocks and some are barely round. I hit about 15 with my gap wedge and ALL THE REST with my 4 iron. It was punishing to my arms and wrist but I just kept hitting them because about 70% are well hit 4 irons and my little brain says I can do better and why....besides I am stupid!! Is there anyone else out there trying to groove their 4 irons in winter hitting yellow rocks with stripes?

I know I am talking to myself but I think I need to quit beating myself up under those conditions, but if you came to my house and said "let's go hit some yellow rocks with 4 irons" I would beat you to the car. I might hit 71% well?

Seriously, my wedges were what kept me from knocking 2 or 3 points off my handicap this year. I think I need someone to say, take all your clubs out of your truck and work on wedges around the practice green this winter. I hurt worse than normal tonight but I know the pain won't keep my 4 iron out of the truck. I need to justify that move as the road to better scores next spring.
Thanks for letting me waste bandwidth :) Just frustrated with myself!!!!

Take all your clubs out of your truck and work on wedges around the practice green this winter

Sent from HTX

4 irons make great alignment sticks.

Most of my golfing buddies HATE my 4 iron. It's the club I use as a crutch when things get bad. If I can't control my driver from the tee box... I'll hit the 4 iron. If I'm arguing with my 3 wood so I can't go for a par 5 green... I'll lay up with the 4 iron and leave myself an easy wedge. If I hit a poor shot into trouble... I'll punch out with the 4 iron. If one of my buddies is having a bad day off the tee box... I'll hit it past him with the 4 iron.

If I do this often enough, they'll jokingly threaten to snap it or start making quips about how I sleep with it at night.

Nothing wrong with having a favorite club you know you can rely on!

All that said... maybe talk with your 4 iron and see if it would mind if you took your wedges out on a few dates now and again.

:curl-lip:

Back