Teeing it Up in the Cold

OITW

Reaction score
What tees do you use when playing when the ground is frozen?

Living in the Northeast I’ll golf till the green turns to white. However, one of the issues I’ve had when it is frozen is getting the tee into the ground.

Plastic tees are the worst usually can’t get them in, i’ve tried those other rubber/plastic ones that you set on the ground and tee it up but if the tee isn’t flat I’ve had some issues.

I’ve gone back to wooden tees and they seem to work the best maybe break one or two but for the most part they work.

What do you use THP?

I bring a hammer

I use the Epoch tees year round but definitely struggle more with both getting them into the ground and snapping at impact when the temps drop into the 30's.

Would think the skinny wooden tees (pencil tees?) would be best option.

What tees do you use when playing when the ground is frozen?

Wait, you mean to tell me that there are people out there that do this?

mrw-im-told-too-late-not-to-hit-a-pothole-108924_zpsvbec5k95.gif

3 wood off the deck, if the ground is too frozen

I would use wooden tees most likely, but when it's that cold, you will be more likely to find me on my couch!

Wood tee are fine. Usually just carry a small slim Phillips head screwdriver and make a hole them slide the tee in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to keep the "rubber" tee from the practice mats at the range in my bag. It sits flat against the ground, so no hammering required @MPlefty!

You just may have to cut off a bit of the tee height so it's not so tall. But it works great! Except for having to pick it up about 10 yards passed the tee box every time. So don't use it on tee boxes with water or cliff right in front of the tee .... cause it will be gone. HA!

At our course the normal tee makers are removed and we just tee it up from the middle of every tee box.

I bring a hammer
right or left handed hammer?

Wait, you mean to tell me that there are people out there that do this?

mrw-im-told-too-late-not-to-hit-a-pothole-108924_zpsvbec5k95.gif

We can’t all live in Texas...

I used to keep the "rubber" tee from the practice mats at the range in my bag. It sits flat against the ground, so no hammering required @MPlefty!

You just may have to cut off a bit of the tee height so it's not so tall. But it works great! Except for having to pick it up about 10 yards passed the tee box every time. So don't use it on tee boxes with water or cliff right in front of the tee .... cause it will be gone. HA!

Wouldn’t the water be frozen?

I don't play when the ground is frozen haha

I would think wooden tees work the best

The rubber one in the sim bay.

I use a plastic tee. Just have to find a spot soft enough to get it in the ground. Sometimes that involves using a hole from a previous tee.

I can't recall ever being in that situation here in SC. It may be a bit cold, but never to the point that the ground freezes up. So no tee changes for me. Play the same thing year round.

Wooden tee. If that doesn't work I should probably be in the clubhouse drinking.

I use the plastic castle tees as they only need about half an inch depth so it is very rare that you can't get the tee into the ground regardless of how frozen it is

The only issue I have is that when the ground is frozen like that, we are off temporary tees which are often cut out of areas of rough by the normal ones, so finding your tee after playing your shot can be tough

I dont know that I would play when its frozen but Pringles and Biggs got me out with a sub 30 wind chill to help prep Pringles for Grandaddy. I just used regular wood tees.

Wooden tees work well in my experience. I like golfing in the cold it keeps all the soft golfers away...

Wooden tees for sure. I've tried plastic as well and they just bend and are useless generally.

If it's cold enough out where I have to think about what tees I need to use, or whether or not I need to bring a hammer with me to get them in the ground, I'm keeping my climatized a$$ in the house next to the fireplace. :D

When we played in that new years day tournament at Newton Comm I wish I had brought a small drill @OITW

Wood tee are fine. Usually just carry a small slim Phillips head screwdriver and make a hole them slide the tee in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the screw driver idea. I used to do something similar with a 16d framing nail (use the ball to push it in and make a starter hole). The nail used to ride conveniently on the outside of my old bag, slipped through a hole in a zipper tab. My new bag doesn't have the same zipper tab holes so I need to come up with something different for frozen days.

OMG....you guys are being serious! :shock:

Back