Golf Talk: What Drives You?

Lots of cool people on here, lots of good conversation. I like talking golf and since no one I know outside of THP is remotely interested in talking golf this is it for me.

When it comes to talking golf on THP, what drives you?

A common interest in the game and an interest in people in general

This take always makes me scratch my head a bit, mainly because of all my years in the industry now as a writer/reviewer, I have never ever ever ever ever ever been told what to say or how to say it. I think sometimes the fact that THP is capable of providing seamless interactions with the companies and getting the story from their mouth is misconstrued as trying to mislead people. Its always an interesting discussion point to me though. Appreciate the response!

It's not misconstrued at all. If someone says what comes from a companies mouth and portrays it as the truth, they have a duty to ensure that it really is the truth. At least, if they have integrity.

Company A says that model x ball spins less than model z, but we know from testing that due to compression that's not always the truth. Yet, often times it's portrayed as an absolute.

Company B says shafts won't affect spin enough to make a difference, but company C tests and finds that after testing multiple shafts in the same length/flex but with different torques that despite being the same on a robot or on paper that the shafts can make a significant difference in just about any measurement in the hands of a human.

I could go on and on. But I think things are getting better overall in the golf industry. Clubs are actually getting closer to advertised lengths/lofts/etc. There doesn't seem to be such an issue with "made-for" shaft differences now as they are typically labeled differently (T1100 vs T800 or Handcrafted vs mass produced). But there is still plenty of room for improvement/integrity among the advertising and hype.

It's not misconstrued at all. If someone says what comes from a companies mouth and portrays it as the truth, they have a duty to ensure that it really is the truth. At least, if they have integrity.

Company A says that model x ball spins less than model z, but we know from testing that due to compression that's not always the truth. Yet, often times it's portrayed as an absolute.

Company B says shafts won't affect spin enough to make a difference, but company C tests and finds that after testing multiple shafts in the same length/flex but with different torques that despite being the same on a robot or on paper that the shafts can make a significant difference in just about any measurement in the hands of a human.

I could go on and on. But I think things are getting better overall in the golf industry. Clubs are actually getting closer to advertised lengths/lofts/etc. There doesn't seem to be such an issue with "made-for" shaft differences now as they are typically labeled differently (T1100 vs T800 or Handcrafted vs mass produced). But there is still plenty of room for improvement/integrity among the advertising and hype.

honest question: do you think the companies are lying?

I try to read more than I write, because a) there's lots of good stuff to read, and b) once i start to write. . .

The opinions and insights are great. People's personalities emerge from their posts, which in and of itself is fascinating. Many are welcoming, many are opinionated, and most are both. I feel as though I get people's honest views on here. and to me it's great that some of the best discussions I have on here are with really good golfers, which I am not. To paraphrase Bobby Jones, we each play a game with which the other is not familiar, and yet we each seem to learn from each other, whether we are talking clubs, balls, courses, swings, or TV parents.

As I move through threads I’m drawn to interesting comments, like minded comments or comments by my friends. I’m a sucker for golf swing talk, golf strategy and golf gear I’ve hit.

It depends on the day. Some days I'm on here to learn more about specific equipment, others it may be to get advice on the overall game but overall it's just the banter between members and good conversation. There's great conversation on so many topics, that's what it's about for me.

Take away the mindless Tiger hate and fanboy stuff, bitterness over release cycles, arguments about traditional vs jacked up lofts and maybe some of the nonsense we occasionally see in the college sports threads. I am driven by just about everything else that's here.

What drives me, a golf cart and a driver. "just kidding" I like a nice round, i don't hit any bunkers or water. I don't care much about score, not the way I putt there is no point.

One of the things I’ve learned from THP is that there are many ways to approach golf from competitive to casual or from solitary to social. For my playing partners and I it’s a solitary game, we don’t play in leagues or tournaments and our Sunday afternoon or weekday evening rounds are often on empty courses. We love playing this way but it doesn’t expose us to players that are more skilled and experienced consequently we don’t learn much beyond our limited abilities. Most of our group take the casual approach and really are not students of the craft. For me THP fills this knowledge gap, I’m a long way from making meaningful contributions to conversations or from being an equipment junky but I know much more about the traditions and spirit of the game than I did and slowly my skill level is increasing. I guess you could say that THP is the veteran playing partner I’ll never have. What drives me is the need to learn from those more skilled than I.

Last edited:

I get to talk golf with people who enjoy the game. I get to learn from people who know more than I do. Take the subject of whether my ball position with my wedges needs to be moved up to bring my launch angle over 24* or if I should continue playing the ball back because the yardages are consistent. My friends, and probably even my current foursome, would look at me as if I were speaking French. At THP, I’d be given different opinions and the reasoning. In less words, it lets me be a golf nerd.

Equipment threads
The live round and pics of the courses where everyone is playing is great
Event threads
seeing what my friends are talking about
also really like the swing videos and breaking x threads.

What moves the golf needle most for me are stories of quest, accomplishment and even failure. Whether for the first time breaking 100 or breaking par, the human element is still the same and of equal interest to me.

More than any technical aspect as it relates to swing mechanics, I'm more driven to speak mental approach and course management with a player of less ability as I am interested to learn the same from all players, especially those better than myself.

But the overall banter, civil discourse and general positive community feel is what keeps me coming back.

As I move through threads I’m drawn to interesting comments, like minded comments or comments by my friends. I’m a sucker for golf swing talk, golf strategy and golf gear I’ve hit.

Me too. Always a sucker for swing talk, you can tell from my recent posts. Strategy and course management intrigue me. And anything I’ve hit and haven’t liked or vice versa and seeing others opinions

Sent from HTX

I don't post on a lot of threads, not because I don't have something to say, but because I'd rather have a comment that will help or be "meaningful" than not. Maybe that's not the right way, and I know that doesn't push my post count up, but that how I do things. I'm usually looking at making my posts more than just....."Looking forward to hearing more...." or something like that, if I can.
I think I'm the same way. I try to post when I'm saying something that in my mind has an effect somewhere on something. I don't have the equipment and tech knowledge of many guys on here. My interest in new gear is nowhere near some, mostly because I know it's the Indian, not the arrow. I like to share my experiences, but there's usually only so much I can say.

I like being involved in events and discussions because I like playing golf. That's what drives me about THP... Playing golf and working to get better... And making some friends along the way. Information about new equipment is just a bonus for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

For me, the answer is simple. This place is my bar stool. From the equipment reviews, to the off topic forums, to the contests and giveaways, this place has pretty much all I need from a virtual world standpoint. What really drives me to "THP" though is the people. The generosity and camaraderie of this forum is off the charts and contagious and I felt it from the first post ever on here. I looked at several golf forums before joining this one. NONE of them had the "this is home" feeling that this place has. WAY too many pretentious attitudes at the other forums that I perused prior to coming here. Whether it's advice or actual equipment swapping, testing, donating, etc. either by one on one interaction or officially through the forum is unique from any other forum that I've ever been a part of.

When I post I don't put much thought into whether or not I'm "adding value to the topic", per se. I post, mainly, to simply interact with fellow forum members. The hodgepodge of personalities, skill levels, and advice makes the place interesting, to me. I can rarely afford new equipment so the reviews, though helpful, are rarely of use to me for at least a year or two but I know that they can be referenced in the future and that I can ask fellow forum members if/when I plan to make a purchase. Golf nerds united is enough to drive me to THP. The rest is house money.

I like to converse with other golf nuts! Makes me feel like I am not the only one lol! Admittedly I'm not a huge tech equipment guy but really enjoy hearing from the OEM'S and talking golf in general.

Learning information

Sent from HTX

I like reading about strategies people use on the course and the cause and effect of certain shots and equipment, I enjoy new equipment articles but gear only excites me short term.

Back