Golf Talk: What Drives You?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Just a curiosity on my part as I sit here in my classroom perusing the forum and pondering all things golf.

When it comes to talking golf on THP, what drives you?

I don't post on a lot of threads, not because I don't have something to say, but because I'd rather have a comment that will help or be "meaningful" than not. Maybe that's not the right way, and I know that doesn't push my post count up, but that how I do things. I'm usually looking at making my posts more than just....."Looking forward to hearing more...." or something like that, if I can.

New clubs and reviews by regular golfers. Pro's reviews really don't help!

These days I tend to pay attention to what will specifically help me and my game or something I can relate to. I'm not into aftermarket shafts and the latest MB iron so I tend not to read much there.

I used to read most every thread and comment on most for the sake of participating but don't any longer.

I don't post on a lot of threads, not because I don't have something to say, but because I'd rather have a comment that will help or be "meaningful" than not. Maybe that's not the right way, and I know that doesn't push my post count up, but that how I do things. I'm usually looking at making my posts more than just....."Looking forward to hearing more...." or something like that, if I can.

Same for me, partly due to the time difference and joining a conversation long after the bulk of it has happened, but also because by the time I actually get to see some of the equipment it can be months after the thread has been here on the forum and it would just feel like dragging up a thread to agree / disagree with something that has already been said

But I also don't see the point in posting things like 'That will be awesome'.....'Can't wait'.....etc

I am more selective in where i post. I love reading the recap and live threads and I definitely follow club and review threads if it is something I am interested in.

1. I'm a golf equipment junkie. Show me new-and-shiny, or even older-and-nostalgic, and I'm hooked.
2. I enjoy golf. Period. It's a subject I can use to escape the everyday rigmarole.
3. (more specific to THP) There are some genuinely good folks on THP, so it's an opportunity to chat about a subject I enjoy, with people I like.

my favorite thing to look at and talk about is the golf swing. when i go to sleep at night, i think about my swing. when i take a leak, i do some mirror work. when i'm on a call in my office, i close the door and walk around with a club in my hand and work on the swing.

second to that, i like to talk about gear and see new gear. although to be honest i'm less excited as i used to be, because i'm finally embracing that getting better at this game needs to be dug out of the dirt rather than the folds of my wallet.

Golf Talk: What Drives You?

Agree with this completely.

It started out as not knowing anything about modern clubs and getting back into the game. Asking dumb questions and still ending up with a square Nike driver. Go figure.

And it’s transitioned to a whole cadre of internet friends and fantastic memories across the country.

Edit (to be actually on topic)... I’m obsessed with golf and simply don’t get to play as much as I’d like. This allows me to keep the stoke alive and keeps me sane til I do make it out to play.

Last edited:

Couldn't have said it better! I don't get new equipment very often so I don't have much useful info on new equipment discussions and I'm not great at small talk stuff. I read damn near every post on THP but I really don't post much unless I feel I can add to a conversation. Just the way I'm wired I guess. I'm a THP ninja - not seen or heard but I'm there and I see it all. Learned a ton on here and in real life keeping my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open

1) I like discussing new golf gear. Not necessarily from a "oh wow new and shiny gotta have it" perspective but more trying to truly break down a clubs pros AND cons. Maybe talking about cons is seen as hating or just being negative but for me it's important in an industry that's flooded with lots of marketing dollars.

2) I love talking about the game. Scores, handicaps, courses, layouts, best shots, worst shots, personal best, all time lows etc etc.

3) I love course pics, course videos, hole of the days and other stuff like that. I feel it helps me get to know the board members in a more personal way, which improves interaction.

Mostly new gear and helping others. I especially want to ensure people hear other sides to a story and not just the canned responses approved by OEM's.

I am a bit of a geek and a golf junkie. I am always curious about the latest and greatest, and since moving several years ago I don't have as many golfing friends. THP has taken that place where it is a place to BS, as well as find out about and discuss all types of golf equipment.

Mostly new gear and helping others. I especially want to ensure people hear other sides to a story and not just the canned responses approved by OEM's.

This take always makes me scratch my head a bit, mainly because of all my years in the industry now as a writer/reviewer, I have never ever ever ever ever ever been told what to say or how to say it. I think sometimes the fact that THP is capable of providing seamless interactions with the companies and getting the story from their mouth is misconstrued as trying to mislead people. Its always an interesting discussion point to me though. Appreciate the response!

I really like the equipment reviews and the event threads. The reviews are what brought me to THP in the first place. I was reading the reviews well before I joined the forums and have used the input from here on quite a few equipment decisions. The events, I'm not able to sign up for a bunch of them due to my work schedule. But I love following along and seeing the events unfold. Pretty awesome IMO.

1. I'm a golf equipment junkie. Show me new-and-shiny, or even older-and-nostalgic, and I'm hooked.
2. I enjoy golf. Period. It's a subject I can use to escape the everyday rigmarole.
3. (more specific to THP) There are some genuinely good folks on THP, so it's an opportunity to chat about a subject I enjoy, with people I like.

I agree with this statement....

I like following the different threads both events and equipment. I am not in the spot to be buying the latest and greatest gear year in year but I enjoy reading about it. The event threads just always make me smile, I have not been able to attend many events the past few years but reading and following event threads make think about the fun I have had a previous THP events.

I also have used this place as a way to improve my own game, from the moment I joined this forum to now I am a much better player. I just love learning about this crazy game with like minded people.

The primary driver for me is the social aspect. Since moving to Hawaii, my group of local golf buddies got a lot smaller so it's nice to have a place to discuss this crazy game and also post a crapload of gifs :wink:.

I don't know anyone that will talk to me about golf 24/7.

This satisfies my addiction. :)

I think sometimes the fact that THP is capable of providing seamless interactions with the companies and getting the story from their mouth is misconstrued as trying to mislead people. Its always an interesting discussion point to me though. Appreciate the response!

THP, among other things, is a medium that creates great avenues for the OEMs to get their message out as they want it heard, and for consumers to hear and digest that message. I don't think anyone is trying to mislead anyone.

I found THP because I wanted the "real true info" on clubs before I made a purchase, as seen by my fellow consumers.
The fact is that the OEMs are in business to sell clubs and spend a lot of $$ on marketing to tell people their story and why you should buy their clubs. I guess that's why I've never accepted that something is "true" or "false" simply because the people that make the club said so.
A claim may in fact be 100% correct, but for me it needs to be verified by my fellow consumers/independent reviewers first, and even then I need to see it for myself before I truly buy in.

For me the "hard core" golf talk is equipment specific. If something is released that catches my eye, I'll read the threads, but usually won't contribute unless I feel I can offer a different perspective that what's already there. I will admit there are some OEM's that when I see a thread I'll skim, but won't dive in because I know at the end of the day I won't play their equipment so the discussion has minimal impact on me.

Otherwise I'm usually responding to threads that deal with the PGA Tour, individual accomplishments, course set up, etc....

I love reading on all the equipment reviews but I really like interacting with other THP'ers on the progression of their game. Being able to hear other peoples triumphs/failures with this crazy game we all love is comforting in a way.

Just a typical golf junkie who like that enjoys equipment and reviews on equipment, new releases and things that have worked for a regular Joe like me. I try and respond to something that I can contribute to or have a question.

I definitely post when I can apply some insight if I had real-world experience with a question, club, course, swing tip etc.

I will also post when I want to follow along with a certain thread or topic, etc.

I enjoy the tech talk the most and hearing about the new gear coming out. I also just enjoy the miscellaneous golf banter on all different topics. Gear is #1 for me though.

Back