2015 POY - Spieth or Day?

• Jordan Spieth

Votes: 95 59.4%
  • Jason Day

Votes: 65 40.6%

• Total voters
Difference is Spieth had already won two.

How does that have any weight to how they performed there? A T4 means more for spieth because he won the first 2 majors?

So this is interesting.... Padraig Harrington, winner of the 2008 Open Championship and PGA Championship, having not won any other tournaments on the Tour that year, was given POY. The runner up (I assume) would be Tiger Woods, who won the US Open along with the Buick Invitational, Accenture Match Play Championship, and Arnold Palmer Invitational.

Looks like all you need to do on Tour to win the POY is have the most Majors that season. I'm kind of shocked that all other victories aren't relevant to POY.

So this is interesting.... Padraig Harrington, winner of the 2008 Open Championship and PGA Championship, having not won any other tournaments on the Tour that year, was given POY. The runner up (I assume) would be Tiger Woods, who won the US Open along with the Buick Invitational, Accenture Match Play Championship, and Arnold Palmer Invitational.

Looks like all you need to do on Tour to win the POY is have the most Majors that season. I'm kind of shocked that all other victories aren't relevant to POY.

Also might include the fact that Tiger was winning about every other POY at that time as well. Finally had a reason to give it to someone else.

Also might include the fact that Tiger was winning about every other POY at that time as well. Finally had a reason to give it to someone else.

I'm not really one for the Politics of it all. POY should go to the best season performance, not the best major performance. It just surprises me that Major wins factor more than 3/1 higher than a standard tour Victory.

Look when O'Meara won POY in 98. Two wins, Masters and Open Championship. Won POY.

Majors carry a lot more weight to the players than regular wins. That being said, you pull a Vijay and win 9 times in a season (including the PGA), you're probably gonna take POY if the other major champions don't do squat that year.

I'd be really curious to hear what the players did if they had a guy win 9 but no majors vs someone who won a major and maybe something else etc.

I'm not really one for the Politics of it all. POY should go to the best season performance, not the best major performance. It just surprises me that Major wins factor more than 3/1 higher than a standard tour Victory.

I agree with you fully.

First, both players deserve the consideration. They both had incredible years. (as has been said)

Second, the season isn't over. If either of them win the TOUR Championship, I think they also get the POY nod.

I think right now Spieth is more deserving of the award because of his performance in the majors. I think it is significant that Spieth won at Augusta (perfect conditions) and at Chambers (shall we say sub-par conditions). These were so very different in the way he won and the type of golf that had to be played in order to win.

I think both camps are right, right now. I hope the TOUR Championship sorts this out for us, personally.

Look when O'Meara won POY in 98. Two wins, Masters and Open Championship. Won POY.

Majors carry a lot more weight to the players than regular wins. That being said, you pull a Vijay and win 9 times in a season (including the PGA), you're probably gonna take POY if the other major champions don't do squat that year.

I'd be really curious to hear what the players did if they had a guy win 9 but no majors vs someone who won a major and maybe something else etc.

Not the best sample. O'Meara won two Majors and Janzen (lone victory at US Open) and Vijay (PGA Champ one of two victories on the year) would never surpass him.

Tiger also missed half of that season due to his ACL repair after winning the US Open. Hard for voters to give POY to a guy that only played half the year.

I've argued this forever and people have thought I was crazy. There is too much emphasis put on majors. WGC's, FedEx and The Player's Championship all have the top golfer's in the world playing in them, yet they don't even come close to the same "weight" that major victories have. The majors are just another stroke play event in a year filled with dozens of them.

For me it is Speith, based on the two majors. Nicklaus and Tiger are considered the two greatest golfers of all time. Because they have the most majors. Sam Snead is not in that conversation even though he has the most PGA tour wins. Whether it be for a season or a career majors count for more. Just my two cents

Tiger also missed half of that season due to his ACL repair after winning the US Open. Hard for voters to give POY to a guy that only played half the year.

He played 6 events and was top 10 in all six of them, including four victories with one being a Major. That's ridiculous. He had as many top 10s as Paddy did, won more money, and had more FedEx Cup points hahahaha!

The numbers are very telling. Majors are wildly more valuable than PGA Tour Victories in this debate. I think it's wholly wrong, but it appears to be fact. Spieth is a lock by history alone.

It's not like Day has double the wins to Spieth. I mean we are talking 5 to 4. I'd give the nod to the guy who won 2 majors. One leads FedEx cup points, the other leads money list. In fact(to me), I think if we look more at the numbers, Spieth looks better. 1 less win, 4 2nds. 14 top 10 and 18 top 25 vs 5 wins, 0 2nd, 10 top 10, 14 top 25.

It's not like Day has double the wins to Spieth. I mean we are talking 5 to 4. I'd give the nod to the guy who won 2 majors. One leads FedEx cup points, the other leads money list. In fact(to me), I think if we look more at the numbers, Spieth looks better. 1 less win, 4 2nds. 14 top 10 and 18 top 25 vs 5 wins, 0 2nd, 10 top 10, 14 top 25.

Day played in less tournaments, though.

Day played in less tournaments, though.

And won more tournaments than Spieth. It's an argument that will, for the most part, get overlooked.

I hope Day can win again to really make it hard on Spieth supporters. It seems to be impossible to have that kind of success, but who knows.

And won more tournaments than Spieth. It's an argument that will, for the most part, get overlooked.

I hope Day can win again to really make it hard on Spieth supporters. It seems to be impossible to have that kind of success, but who knows.

Switch the argument now- and I don't know the answer to this. Has anyone not won POY while winning 2 majors ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Switch the argument now- and I don't know the answer to this. Has anyone not won POY while winning 2 majors ?

Interesting look at it. Has anybody not won POY with 5 wins in a season?

That was my next question my good man haha

Tiger didn't win 2 years ago right?

Surely Vijay won 5 in a year during Tiger's dominant stretch...

Surely Vijay won 5 in a year during Tiger's dominant stretch...

Could be true. Again I don't know. Both have merit to the OP point

Tiger didn't win 2 years ago right?

Yes he did. He was even asked the question about majors mattering more and he was pretty open about fields mattering more and how big 5 wins in a season is.

Yes he did. He was even asked the question about majors mattering more and he was pretty open about fields mattering more and how big 5 wins in a season is.

Yup agreed. Just checked. I honestly didn't know.

During Tiger's huge run, Vijay Singh won POY in the year he had the 9 wins. Think it was 2004.

Back