Single Digits Lost Long Game

Chump Fries

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Handicap
Moving this out of PM for all the world to laugh at my ineptitude. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Freddie, but I'm sure that'll change at some future THP event.

Tadashi, I hear you're the swing guru who can fix all my ails :) Ha, joking of course but I can use all the advice you have. About 2 months ago, I was playing some of the best golf of my life. I worked my way down to a 3.5 handicap throwing 73-78s all the time at the courses I frequently play. A week before going to San Diego for #TheHandCraftedExperience, I completely lost it.

I'm still really good inside 150 yards (9 iron down). The 8 iron is my transition club between pretty good and completely lost.

Everything just feels off right now. Everything is a low bullet or a low hook. Most everything has a harsh thwack at impact. There is nothing that I can do to get decent contact and produce the high draw I was hitting. Literally 2 months ago I was pounding drives and shaping shots at will. Everything just feels completely off now. Whenever I get that "thwack" at impact my balls are going about 70-80% of their well struck distance.

I've put 4 videos below. Two with a gap wedge which I hit just like I wanted to, and two with a 5 iron that where low bullets (and actually much better than what I was hitting on the range, but no way these things would hold any green). Please take a look and let me know what you think. I greatly appreciate your time. Just let me know if you have any questions, or need to see anything else.

GW face on:

GW down the line:
[video=youtube;SyiGq-BIQBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyiGq-BIQBU[/video]

5 iron face on (low bullet probably went 160-170 yards instead of the well struck 190-195):

5 iron down the line (low bullet probably went 160-170 yards instead of the well struck 190-195):

This video was one I did for the event and it was the week I transitioned from bombing it to losing it. Thing's were neither good nor bad this day. Just ok:

Last edited:
Good foundation to work with. Freddie can figure it out. I think I see something, but I will let the panda be the expert.

Good foundation to work with. Freddie can figure it out. I think I see something, but I will let the panda be the expert.

Yeah I'm curious to see what he comes up with. I have my own thoughts, but the worst thing is how the long clubs feel on the backswing. It's so weird to go from nailing it to complete and utterly where'd it go.

Yeah I'm curious to see what he comes up with. I have my own thoughts, but the worst thing is how the long clubs feel on the backswing. It's so weird to go from nailing it to complete and utterly where'd it go.

Check your right leg. You snap that thing pretty straight. Maintaining that flex will help make the swing feel shorter.

Check your right leg. You snap that thing pretty straight. Maintaining that flex will help make the swing feel shorter.

A lot of that is hip flexibility and signs of early arthritis :) Sucks getting older and having certain genetics. I've actually been trying to stretch like crazy on the right leg because of how stiff it is, but I do agree.

Sometimes I love ones like this where you think you see something and you get to wait to see what the expert says to find out how wrong you were.

Sometimes I love ones like this where you think you see something and you get to wait to see what the expert says to find out how wrong you were.

I am ok being wrong. My wife has trained me well. HAHA

I seriously know I'm not that far off from getting back to playing well. I know I have it in me to go out and play really really well. I'm hoping FK does something like "ah...you've been doing crossfit, give it a break on the deadlifts for a while" or something completely off the wall like that.

looking forward to freddie's thoughts. i have my own thoughts.

You're so close Courtney, you really are - I saw it in San Diego, even with you having a rough time off the tee. I had a similar issue early to mid this year - just hooking every damn thing longer than a 7 iron, and couldn't figure it out. With the help of Freddie, I found out it pretty much came down to extension, alignment, and posture. Been hitting the ball really great lately as a result of the tweaks I've made - hoping I can keep it up, and hoping Freddie can help you too!

You're so close Courtney, you really are - I saw it in San Diego, even with you having a rough time off the tee. I had a similar issue early to mid this year - just hooking every damn thing longer than a 7 iron, and couldn't figure it out. With the help of Freddie, I found out it pretty much came down to extension, alignment, and posture. Been hitting the ball really great lately as a result of the tweaks I've made - hoping I can keep it up, and hoping Freddie can help you too!

Yeah, it's weird to stand over 130 yards and be like:
awesome-sauce-badge-1-300x180.png

Then to stand over 170 yards or a driver like:
55867575_discombobulated20cat_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

2888f1ce245135e8ee1fe62c5ce97abd.jpg
<br />
<br />
I have several more coming later tonight. But the grip needs to be adjusted so the hands are acting as one. The head or chin should come up so ypur shoulder doesn't crowd you on the backswing. Stat tuned....

cdafedc10f76c430a6e04443788afc21.jpg

17253162cae78a790f6b824804e5e69e.jpg

c818859292827c833539f81836c88b87.jpg

6496dc05d86d9bf7c4adb8da663e5a48.jpg

4e2f995c46cef219fcd59ce7aa099980.jpg

339255a2d6e37bd88d91f607fa9ee14e.jpg

Ok these are my head on notes.

Chin up
Move the arms with the shoulders and keep triangle in front of you
Flex in right leg
Rotate hips
Keep rotating through swing, if clubs stays in front of you...you'll be fine
Keep the angles and impact

We just need that club in a more neutral position going into the back swing. This will give you the freedom to choose your shot without extreme adjustments

Single Digits Lost Long Game

Sounds great. Can't wait to try out the grip. Love all the annotations on my swing. Really need to see it all at different angles.

I'll definitely add more thanks and read everything more closer the first chance j get. I have a 2 year old crawling on me at the moment :)

edb6b8fc918e1cb8c3485d060700d307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm guessing my loss of power is the lack of hip rotation and the massive draws are from much too inside path?

I'm really curious to see how chin up and right leg flex feels.

Thanks a ton FK! I'll get out to the range first chance I get and let you know how it turns out. Then I'll try to get another video for you with the progress. Can't say thanks enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll break down the other angles for you later

it's sometimes so frustrating. I got into a very similar situation t hu is year where I was coming too far from the inside. when you hear come from the inside over and over it caused me to over sell it and bring the club too far inside resulting in some hosel rockets

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

backwards ass game sometimes :)

it's sometimes so frustrating. I got into a very similar situation t hu is year where I was coming too far from the inside. when you hear come from the inside over and over it caused me to over sell it and bring the club too far inside resulting in some hosel rockets

It's tough to change habits when you see good results. It's also tough, like you said, when inside is all you hear.

Hey FK, I've been to the range a few times to work on some of the things you mentioned and I've played in one scramble. So far things have been working out a lot better. I just changed (right before the scramble) to a slightly cupped wrist at the top of the backswing and that has helped get more height out of my longer clubs.

Below are two "cold" (no warm up, just raw swing) swings with a 5 iron for you to take a look at. I know I still have to work on the bent right leg. I just have to get accustomed to it. I'm mostly wanting to see if you notice any improvements or if I've introduced anything new that I need to get rid of.

Thanks for your time, Courtney.

set up looks good but that leg is going to cause all types of inconsistent action unitl you get fixed. Its causing you to cross the line at the top. Swing to far inside and slide through impact. When your timing is right, the swing will work. But if you are off, then the inconsistent action will show itself.

set up looks good but that leg is going to cause all types of inconsistent action unitl you get fixed. Its causing you to cross the line at the top. Swing to far inside and slide through impact. When your timing is right, the swing will work. But if you are off, then the inconsistent action will show itself.

Thanks, I'll keep working at it. Just one of those ingrained things that I'll just have to get rid of.

Back