How do begin align the club face at setup

scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
Well I was just watching some lpga highlights and I notice them holding the club in right hand and they align the face and put their left hand afterward. I usually use both hand and lay them down or sometimes with my left hand. I see fewer pga does it but lot more on lpga. It probably an individual thing but how do you guys do it and why? I’m gonna try next time when I goto range but it kind a make sense using right hand to align the club face. To me anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grip before I setup and align my club face to a target directly in front of the ball then square my stance to my club face

quite often when the right hand is placed on the club after the left, it will adjust the face or screw up your alignment. The right hand on the club helps keep the right side aligned and not moved forward.

I grip before I setup and align my club face to a target directly in front of the ball then square my stance to my club face

I think I’m similar that way. I really never gave it thoughts. I just do it without just thinking. Recently I develop nasty hook and I could feel my right hand coming over very quick.

quite often when the right hand is placed on the club after the left, it will adjust the face or screw up your alignment. The right hand on the club helps keep the right side aligned and not moved forward.

There you go. It is exactly what I been doing. I just have too much play on my right hand. It’s not in same spot every time. I will definitely work on this.

So try placing right first? I think I have a similar alignment issue, so this is really interesting

So try placing right first? I think I have a similar alignment issue, so this is really interesting

If the right hand has to be placed second, make sure the club isn’t resting on the ground. Elevate the club or hold in front of you and then take your grip.

If the right hand has to be placed second, make sure the club isn’t resting on the ground. Elevate the club or hold in front of you and then take your grip.

Will try - thank you !

Still working on this tip. I feel comfortable placing right hand second. Just need to remember not to sole the club on the ground when I’m doing it. After right hand is in place I can rest the club on ground. Trust the grip and not to adjust it afterward. Took little time but seems getting comfortable with the routine.

The last two times out I have taken my grip and aligned the club and then squared my body to the club face. This has helped my alignment issues considerably.

I grip Club in right hand. Walk in from behind ball finding a spot about 2-3 ft in front of ball between ball and target. Line up face with that and place left hand on, finish address and pull the trigger.

Back