Alpha

Reaction score
Handicap
I really like the looks of these for a game improvement club, I have played forged tec with Paderson reg since they came out. (Really a great club) I can’t find much information on how forgiving the AP1 is or what it compares to. The forged tec was slightly more forgiving than my old apex’s or the cf16 Recoil when they came out (hot stix fitting).
Is there more forgiveness available now without getting to big and bulky? Thanks (10hcp)

forgiveness in ap3 is fantastic. interestingly, forgiveness in 718 ap2 is greater than forgiveness in 714 ap1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forgiveness in ap3 is fantastic. interestingly, forgiveness in 718 ap2 is greater than forgiveness in 714 ap1!

Yeah I’ve heard a lot about AP3 but isn’t AP1 their most forgiving club. Thanks

What?!

Yeah I’ve heard a lot about AP3 but isn’t AP1 their most forgiving club. Thanks

yes but you mention concerns about size in op. ap3 offers smaller size and tons of forgiveness.

There are a few of us here with 718 AP1. I am one of them and have them in 6 iron through 48* wedge with AMT Black R300 shafts. I bought them after a Titleist Thursday fitting this fall.

I think they look fantastic and have best looks in class in my opinion. They are loaded with tungsten so I don't think you'll find a more forgiving iron in the same head size beyond perhaps Taylormade with the bottom slot for thin shots.

I was coming from Ping G15 and the appearance difference is truly night and day. The AP1s look very small next to the gigantic G15s, but large next to the AP3s. I'm a higher handicap golfer than you, but I found the AP3s to have an intimidating appearance with the small size and did not hit them.

I firmly believe the 718 AP1s were absolutely the best option for me as a 17-18 handicap and think they could take me into single digits comfortably if I can make that level of swing improvement.

One word of caution is the strong lofts they have. My fitting average 7 iron swing speed was 82 MPH, but the longest iron I carry is a 6 iron with 27* loft. The 5 iron did not gap properly so I am carrying a hybrid instead.

Dave

yes but you mention concerns about size in op. ap3 offers smaller size and tons of forgiveness.

Didn’t think AP1 looked to bad. Since I owned Apex tested cf16 currently own forged tec I’m used to this kind of of club. AP3 looks similar to these, more like a lateral move. Hcp has went up slightly (my fault) but started thinking about more forgiveness in Irons especially since I like straighter ball flight. I see you tested titleist 718s. Did you or other higher hcps see an appreciable difference between AP3 and AP1? Thanks

Didn’t think AP1 looked to bad. Since I owned Apex tested cf16 currently own forged tec I’m used to this kind of of club. AP3 looks similar to these, more like a lateral move. Hcp has went up slightly (my fault) but started thinking about more forgiveness in Irons especially since I like straighter ball flight. I see you tested titleist 718s. Did you or other higher hcps see an appreciable difference between AP3 and AP1? Thanks

I attended the Team Titleist event put on by Titleist, with several of its fitters on hand, so I got to hit everything in the line to get a good feel.

The AP1 was by far and away the most forgiving and as mentioned looks very good for a GI. I actually hit the Ap2 very well and the feel was addicting. So I ended up with a combo of AP1/AP2 and it's worked out great.

The AP3 visually apealled to me. But tried it in a couple different shafts and didn't like the feel, sound or resluts.

Obviously there are plenty of people here who have had good results with it. I think with it being a "tweener" club, that's going to happen a lot.

But had I not hit the AP2 well, I would have had no problem going all AP1.

Sorry, I never hit ap1. Cant help you there

I just switched from steelhead to ap1's and shot the best golf game of my life with a score of 92. I normally shot 105-115. These clubs are super straight and very forgiving. I use to hit my 6 iron 150. Now with the ap1's a easy 7 iron. So straight. Night and day from my old irons. I did switch from a senior graphite shafts to normal steel shaft. Love the looks of them also. I've only been playing for 4 months but see myself breaking into the 80's in a month or so.

I just switched from steelhead to ap1's and shot the best golf game of my life with a score of 92. I normally shot 105-115. These clubs are super straight and very forgiving. I use to hit my 6 iron 150. Now with the ap1's a easy 7 iron. So straight. Night and day from my old irons. I did switch from a senior graphite shafts to normal steel shaft. Love the looks of them also. I've only been playing for 4 months but see myself breaking into the 80's in a month or so.
Thanks for your reply and welcome to THP!

Back