New Year's Resolutions to improve your game?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
As 2017 quickly comes to an end, I can't help but think of the new year and what I can do to improve my game. 2018 marks my 3rd year since I started playing golf and I read somewhere that after the 3rd year it becomes infinitely harder to make improvements in your game that actually affect your score. With that in mind, I've done some serious thinking about what areas of my game need improvement and what equipment will help me make improvement in those areas of my game. Here is what I will do to address those weaknesses in 2018. These are my GNYR's (golf new year resolutions).

Bunker play - it's a total crap shoot if I'm going to get out of the bunker... especially if the bunker is around the green. Therefore, I'm going to buy a wedge specifically for bunker play. The one at the top of my list is the Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge.

Off the tee - I've been playing an Epic most of 2017 and towards the end of the season, I seem to finally get it under control, but I feel like I can do better. I'm not a longer hitter and definitely a mid-handicapper, so I think I need a driver that will give me a little more forgiveness and perhaps some added length. I've decided on the Cobra F8 as the driver for 2018. I like the technology, the looks, and the custom options. My #1 priority in this regard will be to get the ball in the fairway because I have found that my performance hole-to-hole is better if my 2nd shot is from the fairway.

Fairway - Most of the time, I don't get a GIR, so I'm changing my approach on par 4's and 5's. I will be playing for a solid bogey on 4's and 5's and stop trying to get a GIR. Instead, I'll be playing for a good 2nd shot that will setup an approach shot that will give me a chance for par if I can get it close to the hole. I've been playing a Cobra F7 3w and 3h and 4h. Love them and if they are that good, the F8's will be even better. I will be ordering a 3w, 3h, and 4h F8 from Cobra soon.

I like the fact that Cobra has incorporated Cobra Connect in their F8 offerings and this will help me really zero in on my target goals.

The strength of my game is my approach shots to the green and putting. Looking at some of my stats for 2017, I 3-putt maybe 5% of the time, 2-putt 85% of the time, and 1-putt 10% of the time. I'm playing Apex CF16 irons and a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter and these are money clubs for me so I will stay with them.

Can't wait for the new year and getting these new clubs in play to see if I can make this 3rd year one of solid improvement that will lead to many years of enjoyment.

What's your GNYR's?

I'll make it short and sweet:
*Work on my weaknesses more than my strengths. That means driver and putter.
*Continue to go to the gym. I saw some benefits on and off the golf course from doing that this year.
*Try to play more boring golf, aka fairways and greens. Get the ball in play off of the tee and then aim for the middle of greens more often than going pin hunting. A higher number of GIR has a direct relationship on lowering my scores.

The best New Year's resolution for someone like me who can tend to be hard on themselves is to HAVE FUN!

That said, in my opinion to improve bunker play find a practice bunker and hit shot after shot until you get more comfortable.

I have nothing against new and shiny, but I don't think you'll find a better driver than the Epic. The only improvement would be is if the Epic loft / shaft combo aren't ideal for you. Being properly fit for the driver has the best potential to maximize your game.

Dave

Mine is twofold.

1). (Re) learn to hit a driver (all woods, actually)
2). Finally break down and take a few lessons.

New driver and new irons.....has to fix everything, right?

True golf nuts will never stop trying to buy a game, my friend. Go forth and conquer, brother. I'll live vicariously through you since I'm broke as ****!

Well I am just a few months into the game and seem to be picking it up well for the most part. I think for me the keys are to slow down a bit and quit worrying about how I am affecting others play. I always feel rushed on a busier course but I need to realize that I am often waiting on the ones ahead of me and that is why the ones behind are waiting on me. When I slow down just a little bit, I play much smoother. I need to continue to work on my short game in all aspects. I am not a horrible putter by any means but being better would certainly help and I need to work a bit more on chipping and bump and run style shots around the green as I am about 50/50 on those. I seem to be getting the hang of my irons and driver pretty well but of course there is always room for improvement. I am sure I will take more lessons here and there throughout the year as well. The only real equipment change I am considering is to add a lob wedge as I don't currently have one and possibly move away from set wedges for my others and move to a dedicated wedge. I am leaning to making all 4 with Cleveland CBX(46*, 50*, 54*, 58*) but I have not decided yet.

Mine is to purge the urge to hit at the ball

This is driving me insane and is almost certainly the cause of 90% of my bad shots. I get back to the top ok, then a evil demon inherits my body and I have to swing as fast as I can and hit at the ball from the top

Need to find an exorcist in 2018

I am getting a membership to a course this year so I can play a lot more, hoping it will help my game out.

I just want to REALLY concentrate on a S M O O T H swing. I like Matsuyama's swing where it looks like he pauses at the top and then accelerates through the ball. He definitely hit's through the ball and doesn't seem to just hit the ball. I want to put that swing thought into play for all the shots; full, knock downs and chips.

100 and in. 100 and in. 100 and in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The biggest thing for me is to work on my flexibility and strength. It's pathetic how inflexible I am.

Just like you, I am thoroughly convinced that it's the arrow!!!!!!

I need to improve my putting.

I need to improve my putting.

What he said ^^^^^^^^ I really could be an even better golfer if I could just make more putts per round. And make the one's that count (par saves & birdie chances)

I also have to figure out how to putt more consistently. I also need to cut down on lost balls. If I ever figure those two things out, then I’ll work on that pathetic GIR percentage I carry.

More golf specific stretches/workouts. I like where my swing is & feel if I can strengthen my core, I can find a few more yards

The biggest thing for me is to work on my flexibility and strength. It's pathetic how inflexible I am.

More golf specific stretches/workouts. I like where my swing is & feel if I can strengthen my core, I can find a few more yards

I'm going to leave this link here for you guys: https://www.parsonsgolfperformance.com/

He's a trainer that has worked with a number of PGA Tour pros. I found him after reading an article he wrote on another site. He is able to work with people remotely to develop a fitness plan. I only did the initial evaluation with him, which involved him sending me a video of different stretches that he wanted me to try to evaluate my flexibility. I recorded myself doing all of them (easy to do on your phone) and then sent it to him. Based on that, he created a video of a stretching routine that takes 10-15 minutes, and I don't have to go to a gym to do it. I have used that stretching routine all year long, and also have been using exercises from his Youtube channel for my gym routine. I've seen positive effects on the golf course, but more importantly, I'm more flexible in everyday activities and I'm not in pain as much as I was last year at this time.

Get healthy and play more.....

Get fit, play more . Trust my swing and not try to overpower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan on getting a full bag fitting at Club Champion and then upgrading my clubs to stuff that’s actually made for me instead of playing all off the rack clubs.

Considering I have ZERO touch around the greens right now my 2018 goal is to improve my short game and work on my putting.

I have already signed up for a set of 3 lessons which I don’t plan to start until January. So that will get me started.

For me, it's the tee game. I'm planning to get fit for a driver and then hit the range at least once a week to try and improve. It's long been the weakest part of my game and I hope to change that in 2018.

Get healthy and hit it hard

Mine is twofold.

1). (Re) learn to hit a driver (all woods, actually)
2). Finally break down and take a few lessons.
This sums it up for me. I have a tendency to play when I have the chance and rarely go to the range.

Back