Hybrid iron set for older sweeper/picker

Quadman

Reaction score
Handicap
Are there any older players who are sweeper/pickers who find that hybrid iron sets such as 588 Altitude or Launcher HB really help their game? I am thinking of giving these kinds of irons a try. My driver swing speed is around 85 mph. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t swing much faster than you. Driver is around 90mph. Hit my 7i 140-145.
Been playing the Altitudes 6-SW for the past 4 seasons. In that span went from an 18.9 cap to 9.3 this season.
I used to pick the ball clean but now play the ball further back in my stance and come in steeper with a divot. The Altitudes work for both types of impact.
The new HB’s are solid as well. I’ll be going for a fitting in the spring and May switch

Also, does anyone find that these hybrid iron sets still allow for some shotmaking? Half shots and feathered shots with different swing speeds etc.? Or, are they mostly useful for straight full shots? The problem I found with single-length clubs was that it was harder to play “shots”. Full swings were OK, but some of the “tricky” stuff seemed harder. Thanks.

Erock, thank you. How are the Altitudes around the green? And do you play the SW from bunkers? Soft sand? Hard sand?

By design, a hollow body iron is going to spin less. Therefore adding in forgiveness, but making it a bit harder to move left to right, without manipulating the club head.

Back