2015 POY - Spieth or Day?

2015 POY - Spieth or Day?

• Jordan Spieth

Votes: 95 59.4%
  • Jason Day

Votes: 65 40.6%

• Total voters
Was watching golf central last week and they said from some of the players interviewed many were leaning towards Spieth for the award, I wonder if any of them will change their mind when it comes time to vote.

If Day wins FedEx Cup, he gets my nod. 5 wins in a career, one major, is a great year and a very good career, pre-Tiger. 5 wins in 7 tourneys is a runaway year, even against two majors.

How does that have any weight to how they performed there? A T4 means more for spieth because he won the first 2 majors?

Ugh. If you look at the premise I made originally, it was longevity vs a couple weeks. That's why it has weight...

Ugh. If you look at the premise I made originally, it was longevity vs a couple weeks. That's why it has weight...

Ahh gotcha, I get it. But at the same time...Day then went T9, T4, 1st. So it's not like Day played poorly through the entire year/major season.

FWIW, after thinking more about it, I think Day needs to win the Fedex Cup for him to pass Spieth, and probably needs to win the Tour Championship as well to do it. But if he does, and gets to 6 wins and the Fedex cup, then I think that takes it.

Ahh gotcha, I get it. But at the same time...Day then went T9, T4, 1st. So it's not like Day played poorly through the entire year/major season.

FWIW, after thinking more about it, I think Day needs to win the Fedex Cup for him to pass Spieth, and probably needs to win the Tour Championship as well to do it. But if he does, and gets to 6 wins and the Fedex cup, then I think that takes it.

Spieth has 5 wins including the two majors (World Challenge, Valspar, John Deere Classic), 14 Top Tens..

Day 5 (last 2, plus PGA, Farmers, RBC Canadian), 11 Top Tens, but also fewer total events.

Day's performance against the Top 125 and better the last few weeks sure does make it a tough choice!!!

Here are this season's results for Day and Spieth.

http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.28089.jason-day.html/season

http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.34046.jordan-spieth.html/season

In the Majors, highest finish to lowest:

Day went 1-4-9-28

Spieth went 1-1-2-4

Again, just looking at Majors, which, generally, mean the most in history... Not saying one way or the other, but in what we term the Top 4 tournaments of the year, these were the results.

If it's all about the Majors, then why is this POTY? Why isn't it the "Best Major Performance of the Year" award?

If it's all about the Majors, then why is this POTY? Why isn't it the "Best Major Performance of the Year" award?

Some had overstated Day's performance in the Majors. U see my next post???

Some had overstated Day's performance in the Majors. U see my next post???

How do you overstate his performance?

One off a playoff overseas... Five off the lead at the US Open WHILE fighting vertigo... And a mediocre performance at the Masters, which is EASILY washed away by the recent convincing victories during the playoffs.

Co-players-of-the-year

Boom. Done.

Easy peasy.

Would Texas allow that?

Yes, he use to live in Dallas and married a girl from Texas. He's good.

You seem to be very passionate about this subject it appears Dan. I think either one would be a great Player of the Year winner. Yes, I would like Jordan to win but I'm not going to pick away at why Jason shouldn't. I'm sort of with Jman, co-winners would work for me. Two great players and both deserve it.

Co-players-of-the-year

Boom. Done.

Easy peasy.
This sounds like everyone should just get participation ribbons and be happy! Haha!!

Jordan Spieth in my opinion. It's the player of the YEAR, not player of the last few months. Spieth has 2 freakin majors and was within a shot here or there of winning all 4. That's amazing to me.

This sounds like everyone should just get participation ribbons and be happy! Haha!!

Jordan Spieth in my opinion. It's the player of the YEAR, not player of the last few months. Spieth has 2 freakin majors and was within a shot here or there of winning all 4. That's amazing to me.

The US Open didn't count Jake.....that major was given to him. :alien:

You seem to be very passionate about this subject it appears Dan. I think either one would be a great Player of the Year winner. Yes, I would like Jordan to win but I'm not going to pick away at why Jason shouldn't. I'm sort of with Jman, co-winners would work for me. Two great players and both deserve it.

I think it's the best tour conversation this forum has seen in a LONG time. I've really enjoyed everyone's thoughts, and hope next week introduces an even better element to the question.

And for clarity, I am definitely a fan of Day, but I am also a fan of Spieth. I wanted badly to see him make a run at all four majors.

Day should win in it. Spieth had more starts so his percentages would be lower while Day was was having medical issues so fewer starts giving him higher percentages

Yeah, it just makes sense to me. Two of the best years we have seen on tour in a LONG time. Let them both have it.

Yeah, it just makes sense to me. Two of the best years we have seen on tour in a LONG time. Let them both have it.

Or a made of TV event, featuring Jordan and Jason, Battle of the J's for POY. 18 holes decides everything.

I thought she was from Ohio?

Here are this season's results for Day and Spieth.

http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.28089.jason-day.html/season

http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.34046.jordan-spieth.html/season

In the Majors, highest finish to lowest:

Day went 1-4-9-28

Spieth went 1-1-2-4

Again, just looking at Majors, which, generally, mean the most in history... Not saying one way or the other, but in what we term the Top 4 tournaments of the year, these were the results.

This was pretty interesting. I forgot that he was top 5 in all 4. I think I'm back leaning Speith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back