THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Thanks for your encouragement. But we've only played in individual outings, a team tournament is a whole different animal. Like I said, in that setting, I'm like a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. You have just seen the hillbilly hound dog.

That country hound dog can hunt in team events too. #yougotthis

My first tee shot at a THP event was at Bridgestone Univ. last January. EMart was talking about how there's always someone who has topped a drive or something. I was in the 2nd to last group and so far everyone had gotten one some what in play....so I was nervous about being the first one. Fortunately I stripped one down the middle past that tree to he left and was one the green in 2 on a par 5...easy par :/.

2nd was at #TheKing. 2nd group up, playing against the opposing teams captain, Hashtag Chad and Scotty G...talk about pressure on day 1!! I smashed that new XR driver easily 300 yards...don't want to talk about that 2nd shot but the most gratifying thing was seeing Chad walk up to my ball thinking it was his. His face when he realized he was the ball 20 yards back was priceless:)

Ok some of you have yet to play in an offiicial THP Event. So here's the 1st hole at Royal New Kent, looking at this how would you play your tee shot, what club, what shape, fade draw, worm burner, stinger..etc.

Let's assume its the White Tees.

Me I'm probably hitting driver, with a bit of a fade, and if all goes well, I'll be to the right of that mound and hopefully far enough way from it that I will have a clear shot to the green. I'm guessing if I have my usual 220 drive, I'll have about 140 to 150 in for the 2nd shot.

hole1.jpg

My first tee shot at a THP event was back in 2014 at the first Gauntlet. I don't remember the name of the format, but it was best ball off the tee, your own shot from there. Anyway, we were near the back of the group and I didn't feel too much pressure, but I pull hooked my drive into the rough. Luckily my partner, AG2979, was able to find the fairway.

On the second day, I was much more nervous. Rhiona Sullivan was my partner and we were playing against Finley and Blugold and were one of the first groups to tee off. I managed to find the fairway, but my drive never got more than a foot or two off the ground. I hit a great second shot and two putted to halve Finley, but I don't think I'll ever forget the tee box that morning.

Ok some of you have yet to play in an offiicial THP Event. So here's the 1st hole at Royal New Kent, looking at this how would you play your tee shot, what club, what shape, fade draw, worm burner, stinger..etc.

Me I'm probably hitting driver, with a bit of a fade, and if all goes well, I'll be to the right of that mound and hopefully far enough way from it that I will have a clear shot to the green. I'm guessing if I have my usual 220 drive, I'll have about 140 to 150 in for the 2nd shot.

hole1.jpg
How bad is that rough? :silly: Sounds like our game is about the same distance-wise, though with a 75 foot drop from tee to fairway, I think I might be able to eek out a bit more distance essentially leaving me with a 9i into the green. So I'm pulling driver.

hole1.jpg
I see lots of options there

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hole1.jpg
Just for reference for some as well from the white tees if you cut the corner and go for the green it will take 266 carry according to my GPS app. It will be interesting to see what tees we will end up playing

Going to pound town like a boss!

Just for reference for some as well from the white tees if you cut the corner and go for the green it will take 266 carry according to my GPS app. It will be interesting to see what tees we will end up playing

Number 1 could be really interesting then, ha

Number 1 could be really interesting then, ha
In a normal round all day I try it every time if it is only 266 and sets up OK as well. That said a lot would depend on the format we are playing/my opponent also we don't know what tees we are playing yet. Move back even one set of tees and it becomes MUCH tougher

hole1.jpg

Hmmm.. I probably aim right at that mound, knowing my miss there would be a cut, and if I hit it straight I can carry it. If I miss, it will be a fade, so I would still be o.k. I think. If I carry it, probably leaves no more than GW, PW at most. Of course, this also would depend on what format we are playing. Kind of reminds me of #10 at Mountain Branch, except there sand is on the left, not a big mound with thick rough.

Also depends on what the format is for that hole. Alternate shot, probably put it safely inside 100 and let my partner wedge it in. Shamble, balls out and go for it if partner is safe in teh fairway. Match play, 3 wood to the large green part and wedge it in .

Kevin asked the following:

Here are the questions I promised earlier today.

DC/MD/VA hopefuls:

Post your responses here, and PM them to me too.

~ Have ever played in a team event?
~ What makes you an asset to the entire team?
~ What do you look for from a playing partner?
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner?
~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.
~ What is your biggest strength in the game?
A. What do you do to maintain it.
~ What is the biggest weakness in your game?
A. What is your plan to overcome it
B. How will you know you've been successful?
~ Do you prefer to practice or play
~ What is your handicap index.
~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016?

Have ever played in a team event? Quite a bit. I played in High School and College(Div 1)...a long, long time ago :act-up: More recently I play quite a bit on 2 man team events like our clubs member/member, member guest and quite a few 4 ball events.
What makes you an asset to the entire team? Team player and can play many roles....solid singles player, flexible team mate with either high or low handicapper, coach, mentor, confidant. I like to keep things light ...even in competition you have to have FUN!
What do you look for from a playing partner? Someone that gives their all and leaves nothing in the bag. A fierce competitor but more importantly a lover of the game.
What makes you an asset to the entire team? A desire to help anyone and do anything for the good of the team.
What do you have to offer a playing partner? Someone they can lean on for sound advice and experience with "team" golf. Reassurance and support, steadiness in the face of pressure and a good listener.
What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game. Got my strength back from 2014 and a medical challenge. Returned to an older putter that re-energized my putting, eliminating 3 putts.
What is your biggest strength in the game? Woods and long irons .... I prefer LONGER courses where I believe I have an advantage.
What do you do to maintain it. Targeted practice. I work on areas where I'm having difficulties. However, once I take it to the course I play with whatever the golf gods have given me on that day.
What is the biggest weakness in your game? 30-60 yards chips. Switched to new wedges last summer (needed conforming clubs for USGA events) and I'm still adjusting to them.
What is your plan to overcome it? Work on it ... looking into replacing the Spinner shafts with S400's.
How will you know you've been successful? That'll be easy .... when I "enjoy" getting the ball in that yardage! I now try to play around that by either laying back to 75-100yds or getting within a closer chip/greenside shot.
Do you prefer to practice or play. PLAY
What is your handicap index. 3.5 HC computer was turned off 10/31 THANK GOD as I've played much better since then!
What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016? I'd love to get it under 2. El Nino may provide enough time on the course to where I get a quick start this spring.

Bob (Diveguy)

THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Left or right hand? haha

For you buddy, I'll go left hand high.

Personally, I'd love to see if play that tee box. Would be great watching risk reward shots from the longer guys!

In a normal round all day I try it every time if it is only 266 and sets up OK as well. That said a lot would depend on the format we are playing/my opponent also we don't know what tees we are playing yet. Move back even one set of tees and it becomes MUCH tougher

Definitely would have to see what tees we are playing from. Lots of other factors that would influence the decision as well.

Kevin asked the following:

Here are the questions I promised earlier today.

DC/MD/VA hopefuls:

Post your responses here, and PM them to me too.

~ Have ever played in a team event?
~ What makes you an asset to the entire team?
~ What do you look for from a playing partner?
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner?
~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.
~ What is your biggest strength in the game?
A. What do you do to maintain it.
~ What is the biggest weakness in your game?
A. What is your plan to overcome it
B. How will you know you've been successful?
~ Do you prefer to practice or play
~ What is your handicap index.
~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016?

Have ever played in a team event? Quite a bit. I played in High School and College(Div 1)...a long, long time ago :act-up: More recently I play quite a bit on 2 man team events like our clubs member/member, member guest and quite a few 4 ball events.
What makes you an asset to the entire team? Team player and can play many roles....solid singles player, flexible team mate with either high or low handicapper, coach, mentor, confidant. I like to keep things light ...even in competition you have to have FUN!
What do you look for from a playing partner? Someone that gives their all and leaves nothing in the bag. A fierce competitor but more importantly a lover of the game.
What makes you an asset to the entire team? A desire to help anyone and do anything for the good of the team.
What do you have to offer a playing partner? Someone they can lean on for sound advice and experience with "team" golf. Reassurance and support, steadiness in the face of pressure and a good listener.
What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game. Got my strength back from 2014 and a medical challenge. Returned to an older putter that re-energized my putting, eliminating 3 putts.
What is your biggest strength in the game? Woods and long irons .... I prefer LONGER courses where I believe I have an advantage.
What do you do to maintain it. Targeted practice. I work on areas where I'm having difficulties. However, once I take it to the course I play with whatever the golf gods have given me on that day.
What is the biggest weakness in your game? 30-60 yards chips. Switched to new wedges last summer (needed conforming clubs for USGA events) and I'm still adjusting to them.
What is your plan to overcome it? Work on it ... looking into replacing the Spinner shafts with S400's.
How will you know you've been successful? That'll be easy .... when I "enjoy" getting the ball in that yardage! I now try to play around that by either laying back to 75-100yds or getting within a closer chip/greenside shot.
Do you prefer to practice or play. PLAY
What is your handicap index. 3.5 HC computer was turned off 10/31 THANK GOD as I've played much better since then!
What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016? I'd love to get it under 2. El Nino may provide enough time on the course to where I get a quick start this spring.

Bob (Diveguy)

Looks good Buddy, glad to see the albatross tag next to your name too!

hole1.jpg

3 wood short iron in, this course has some serious teeth and the best possible place to score from is the fairway, the greens are huge and it's paramount you're on the right level coming in.

3 wood short iron in, this course has some serious teeth and the best possible place to score from is the fairway, the greens are huge and it's paramount you're on the right level coming in.

I agree Trout, this course looks like you have to be patient, and take what it gives you. Stranz has a way of messing with you mind if you're mentally weak.

I agree Trout, this course looks like you have to be patient, and take what it gives you. Stranz has a way of messing with you mind if you're mentally weak.

Yeah man, he's so creative it's crazy and you have to stay in the short grass off the tee, plenty of bailout areas if you miss the short stuff but dude, if we get greedy he'll smack us from the grave.

hole1.jpg

Having never seen the hole, and not knowing the conditions, it's hard to say for sure. With 77 feet of drop, I can carry a 3 wood 266 pretty easy. If it is dry and the course is running, I'd probably do 3 wood with a draw, starting at the right most corner. If it has been wet, I might go with driver and aim just a touch more left, still with a draw.

Back