Do you take notes on your home course?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Many of us have a home course or play on a league at the same course often. Have you ever taken notes about specific holes, club choices or maybe even the greens? Caddies often have this information for tour players which helps in club selection or even reading breaks in the greens so I started thinking if I'm playing the same course often why wouldn't I do this....could only help right?

when I first joined my last course, I kind of did. Not during the rounds, but when I got home I wrote down some things as to club selections and where the miss was. But to be honest, I had most of that in my head the more I played it and those notes because pretty useless.

When I was in HS and played a practice round at a course for our sectionals and conference tournaments, I kept a notebook with me because they were courses I didn't really see often.

never have at my home course, but the course where the city Championship is being held I just played a practice round at and made some notes. Club selection on uphill, some thoughts on pin placements, slope of green, etc.

My home course I play it so much that most everything I have memorized.

I don't on my home course, but any time I play a course I have never played or haven't played in a long time and I know there are future tournaments there, I take notes. Things such as where to avoid, club selections, aiming points on blind shots, etc... You likely play your home course enough that taking notes would likely be more trouble than it's worth.

• Admin
when I first joined my last course, I kind of did. Not during the rounds, but when I got home I wrote down some things as to club selections and where the miss was. But to be honest, I had most of that in my head the more I played it and those notes because pretty useless.

When I was in HS and played a practice round at a course for our sectionals and conference tournaments, I kept a notebook with me because they were courses I didn't really see often.

I'm not much of a note taker either and I guess with club selection I kind of know on this hole I pull no more than a 6i depending on wind and such, but as often as you play some of these courses knowing the greens tendencies and such could be really beneficial. Just kind of wondering out loud if I'm missing out by not doing something so simple as putting a note in my app or something

No notes for me. I barely have to read the greens I've played so many rounds on my home course. Funny though, I still get fooled by a read at least once or twice a round. Still haven't gotten to the point of taking notes...maybe I should!

I make our kids take notes when we play practice rounds, always.

No notes for me, played there many a time to know the spots to hit it. Only if I could actually do it on command

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No notes for me. I barely have to read the greens I've played so many rounds on my home course. Funny though, I still get fooled by a read at least once or twice a round. Still haven't gotten to the point of taking notes...maybe I should!

Same way for me. There are some pin positions at my home course that have some tricky reads, and I inevitably end up standing on a green thinking to myself, "I've had this putt before, so why the f*** can't I tell which way it goes." But I can't say its ever crossed my mind to take notes.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy the Game Golf app so much. It's really easy to go back and review rounds and see exactly what clubs I pulled, where I missed, and what the weather conditions were at the time.

I'll almost always go back and take a look at recent rounds on a course before any important round.

The two or three courses I play most during the year I have mental notes that I stick to for the most part. Mostly club selection on tee boxes and where I want to be for my approach. I also have one of the course’s greens basically mapped out in memory in my head so I don’t really have to take time to look at a putt.
New courses though I will generally look at Google Maps just to see distances from the Teebox to good landing areas that I probably will want to have in the greens. Then when I play the course I will typically jot down a few things just in case I go and play them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't take notes. I've been there so long I don't think there's anything i'm forgetting....except maybe sometimes that driver isn't really necessary on most holes... but I think I forget that on purpose. :)

I haven't on the home course, mentally I have a couple holes logged on where I need to be on the green depending on pin placement though.

I take a lot of mental notes. I remember where my miss was versus where it should be. I think this has helped me shoot my lowest scores ever.

Mental notes for me too. I have 3 courses that see about two thirds of the golf I play. I focus most of my effort trying to figure out the holes or shots that give me the most trouble. Often they are easier holes or shots that I just play stupidly. The mental notes have helped me change my approach on some.

Mental notes all day. I've played the course enough that I've been in pretty much every spot on it ... good or bad. I just remember what side of the hole to favor off the tee, what way the green slopes, which side not to miss on, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nothing on paper, but plenty on the mental hard drive.

There are a three or four holes in particular where experience really comes in handy. For example, on #5 (double dogleg par 5), you can't hit your 2nd shot left enough...everything slopes to the right toward the pond (but it's kind of hidden) and if you think your ball is heading toward the middle of the fairway it's probably going to be wet.

Not on our home course, usually.
If we are playing in a tournament, we look at flag locations when we pass the holes.
I always put a dot in the box on the scorecard for that hole.
When we get to that hole we know where to come in from.

No written notes. I have a plan for each hole from a couple of different tee boxes. My game is about execution. Unfortunately, I can only follow the plan on 5 or 6 holes per round. The rest is just a crap shoot with lots of bad decisions and shots. :D

No, only on courses where I will be competing.

Can't say that I have

I used to have a greens book 90% done until my lap top fried. Had % slope for pretty much every green every square yard. I have more notes/yardage type books on a few courses I play often enough to care but not 100 times a year that I know in my sleep. If you take golf seriously and play tournaments I consider it a must.

To answer the original question, no, I don't take notes. Should I? Maybe. Joining a different course come January and notes, especially about how the greens generally slope, might come in handy.

I do not. Been playing the same course an average of 2 times per week over the last 9+ years so I feel like I know every square inch of the course.

At first I do if it's a new home course. Otherwise no way. I ply there way too much not to know my way around.....everywhere.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Back