Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

My dad got to play his yesterday for the first time and hasn't shut up since. He absolutely loved everything about them. I forgot to take a swing but will next time out. My 60° will be here next week and it will go through the paces before our season ends.

58 W Grind was in play today. No bunkers unfortunately. I did choose to see if I could hit it out of the rough and fairway and saw great results. The greens were pretty hard and fast, yet the ball still checked up nicely. I saw distances that I anticipated for a 58* (85 yards) and the wide sole seemed to help out of the rough especially. Really impressed with this so far and I haven't even hit it in a bunker during play yet.

I really, really want these in black. Just not in the budget right now, but I love the MD2 so I'm sure these are fantastic. Just gorgeous to look at

The black finish with black onyx shafts and the like green grips. Yes please

Last edited:
So, this black finish really is silly beautiful in hand.

So they had exactly what I wanted tonight. 52*, only problem was it wasn't in black.

Darn it. Purchase delayed, and it would have been a great deal today only too!

Toddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay is the daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay my 54W arrives. Woot woot!

Debut by WDW fire this weekend too.

In case you get too hot with it:

mickeysfirebrigademickey.jpg

Just got in my Gauntlet contest wedge. I'm on kid watching duty today so I haven't had a chance to hit it but I did want to put some pics up.

This thing looks pretty sharp! Big thanks to THP and Callaway!

c6c600750b174609a089a0cd1ff647c8.jpg

313e71758a1a634a45ee327fecc59050.jpg

da3ec20d7de2cd4161ef45cd6160428a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely love this wedge. The 56* was a weapon for me today. I love being able to be aggressive on chip shots knowing it'll stop on a dime

They would sell a ton of those grips to THP members if they were widely available!

I'm still itching to get this to the course and try it out. What I've hit around my yard has been pretty solid, but it's impossible to really get an idea of spin.

After this weekend hitting the 54.12 a bit in some varied situations, I'm honestly in deep contemplation for December now if I keep the PM 60 for the specialty shots and lean on the 54 more, or if I go 54/60 in the MD3.

After this weekend hitting the 54.12 a bit in some varied situations, I'm honestly in deep contemplation for December now if I keep the PM 60 for the specialty shots and lean on the 54 more, or if I go 54/60 in the MD3.

Sort of my thought as well James. Something about the 54 and 60 in W black with black shafts just really call my name.

Got to play my 60W for the first time today. I only played it 6 or 7 times but liked what I saw. Awesome feel and great spin

Got my 50* out on the range for the first time today. First off, the feel is quite good. I could tell where I struck each shot on the face of the club, and the feel for well struck shots was very soft. Another thing I noticed was that a full swing sent the ball rocketing into the sky. Seriously, the ball flight was stratospheric. A 54* is definitely in the cards now.

I've been meaning to post in here since my Sunday round. A few thoughts

Looks/setup- I've been a vokey wedge player since I started playing. A few tinkers here and there, but when it mattered the most, they were in the bag. Mostly because at set up I liked the look and head shape. It's a personally preference I know & is why I needed to see the MD3 in person. I'm not sure if it's the black finish or what, but at address these fit my eye. They look compact and instill confidence. It's crazy, but I adore the green uTx paired with it. It just completes the wedge combo imo.

Setup- having struggled with the leading edge on the 2013 MD & just overall lack of confidence with the 2014 MDT, I was cautiously optimistic with this version. I'm not a big divot/steep player with my wedges and the previous two versions had me digging into the turf (read fat wedge shots) than I liked. Where the previous MD wedges underperformed, the MD3 shined.

I'm rolling with a 52S/54S/58W set up. I know that raises eyebrows with the 52/54, but it fits my game. I don't hit full swings with my wedges and I've gotten good at controlling my distances with this set up. The 58W is strictly a green side bunker option. Anything close to or around the green, I'm using my 52/54.

Performance- I had a practice session with my wedges and I was immediately impressed. I was taking the divots I'm used to seeing with my SM5's & my distance control was spot on. Generating spin was almost automatic and I was even forcing myself to aim past the pin be I was able to pull a few back.

On the course it was different. I saw a lack of spin I had seen a few days earlier. It was a wet day this past Sunday & I played the full 18 in a light drizzle/rain all day. I'm not sure if it was me mentally not attacking my wedge shots for fear of chunking it or the wet grass contributing to the lack of spin, but I saw more roll out and less check up. Nothing off putting or reason to have concern mind you, I just wasn't seeing the check up. Overall they performed well and the 58W shined out of the bunkers that had the sand a little more compact than normal because of the rain. I was able to get up and down a few times and even put one inside of a few feet from the bunker. If I thought the PM grind was cheating, the W grind is right there in terms of performance.

So far so good & I have another practice session this Friday to validate some thoughts, but with these being our wedges for #TheGrandaddy, I plan to get really comfortable with this set up.

I've been struggling a bit with 56 pm grind with half to full swings... so in went 56 back md3 w grind. A bit of an adjustment visually going back to a traditional look but it performed just as well green side and the Half to full swings were much better. I think I'll keep this and the 60° pm grind in the bag

I've been struggling a bit with 56 pm grind with half to full swings... so in went 56 back md3 w grind. A bit of an adjustment visually going back to a traditional look but it performed just as well green side and the Half to full swings were much better. I think I'll keep this and the 60° pm grind in the bag

Debating a 56 and 60 PM grind. But was worried about full shots With the 56 PM grind. Thanks for that info

Debating a 56 and 60 PM grind. But was worried about full shots With the 56 PM grind. Thanks for that info

Definitely helps for me to have 56 md3 and 60 pm. The 60 pm is so good around greens. It's just money. The 56 is my 90 to 115yd club so I do full swings and partials. Having a more traditional look definitely helps me there. The w grind with 12° bounce plays really close to the pm greenside. If I need to flop I'll grab the 60

I have a 50, 54, & 58 all in the S-Grind and in the Chrome (more like Satin) finish. I went with the stock DG S300 flex and switched out those ugly as F ? green grips for some GP Plus 4 Grey grips.

Overall, the MD3 wedges are extremely nice. They seem to spin as much as the MD2 wedges did. Also, I don't notice any difference in feel from forged to cast. The head frames the ball real nice and I feel I can hit any shot I need ( full and/or touch shots). I've only hit them a couple times at the range and during my 14 hole round tonight. More to follow.

Back