Car Detailing Thread

Any Other Car Detailing Fanatics?

Thanks all. I didn't detail my entire car today but focused on the front end. Bugs bugs and more bugs. Hasn't been this clean ever. Work in progress.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I didn't detail my entire car today but focused on the front end. Bugs bugs and more bugs. Hasn't been this clean ever. Work in progress.

Once you get it good and clean (clay bar it before you apply any wax or sealant), using Poorboys Bug Squash correctly diluted will make bugs roll right off.

Got my bottle of Optimum No Rinse. Looking forward to giving it a try soon.

Got my bottle of Optimum No Rinse. Looking forward to giving it a try soon.

Optimum no rinse is great and I use it. BUT unless you really CAN'T use water and do a regular wash, I wouldn't use it. Regular wash and rinsing with water is the best method to reduce chances of swirls and micro scratches. If you must use it because of water restrictions and or no access to a hose, use two buckets and rinse out your mitt very frequently.

Optimum no rinse is great and I use it. BUT unless you really CAN'T use water and do a regular wash, I wouldn't use it. Regular wash and rinsing with water is the best method to reduce chances of swirls and micro scratches. If you must use it because of water restrictions and or no access to a hose, use two buckets and rinse out your mitt very frequently.
The next 5 months will not be ideal for car washing... So this will become a necessity... Good info on the dual buckets though!

My in-laws bought me a really nice porter cable buffer for xmas about 5 years ago when I had my Audi along with a bunch of detailing supplies. Sold the car a couple months later and still haven't taken the thing out of the box.

The next 5 months will not be ideal for car washing... So this will become a necessity... Good info on the dual buckets though!

One better, two buckets and a dozen or so quality micro fibers, soak all the MFs in your rinse-less wash in the first bucket then use one per panel or so turning frequently and discard into the second bucket of just water. That way you have no worries of contaminants getting into your ONR solution or not being rinsed from your mitt. While I love a good traditional two bucket wash it's just not practical on some cars especially exotics.

My in-laws bought me a really nice porter cable buffer for xmas about 5 years ago when I had my Audi along with a bunch of detailing supplies. Sold the car a couple months later and still haven't taken the thing out of the box.

If you have waxed or polished a car in the meantime, you don't know what you are missing. I just got the Porter Cable 7424XP and used it yesterday for the first time. Effortless application and saved a lot of time.

Okay so as a non car detailer that cares about his car and has never lived in a snowy environment...

What do I need to do before winter to help protect my car?

Assuming it doesn't need any paint correction, I would wash it, clay bar it to really clean the surface, and apply a sealant/synthetic wax.

I know many will disagree with this, but you don't need to apply a wax over a sealant. A wax is generally a less durable version of a sealant that contains one or more naturally occurring waxes, rather than being purely synthetic. If a good synthetic sealant has been applied, any wax applied over the top will just be wiped off or disappear after your first car wash. From the Meguiars website:

Meguiar's does not teach applying multiple, multiple applications of a paint protection product to create a thicker and thicker layer of this product on the surface because the surface of your car's paint will only hold so much product and after you've created a uniform coating, any more product applied simply replaces what is already there or is wiped off as excess residue. To date, no one has ever proved that layering, that is multiple applications for a product increases the thickness of the coating being applied.

There are lots of great paint sealants/synthetic waxes out there, but I would stick with one of the big name brands that actually have R&D behind their products. My recommendation for the most durable sealant for winter weather would be 3M 39030. I drive 30,0000 miles a year including 40+ trips to the mountains to ski and it has no problem lasting 6 months.

Last edited:
Alright I just placed an order for pretty much everything I will need I think.

All chemical guys and poor boys. Wash, bug squash, clay bar/spray n wipe for lube, sealant, mitts and micro fibers. Should be a good start at least!

Clayed a few select spots, and threw a coat of sealant on my F250 yesterday. One of the next weekends I'm going to polish the windows, they've got hard water spots like crazy. Anyone got tips for polishing glass?

Clayed a few select spots, and threw a coat of sealant on my F250 yesterday. One of the next weekends I'm going to polish the windows, they've got hard water spots like crazy. Anyone got tips for polishing glass?

Ceriglass and a rayon pad on a buffer.

If the spots aren't etching, DuraGloss NuGlass (I think that's the name) works really well. Makes my sunroof look great every 6 months.

If it is etching or rock chips, you're looking at a much tougher fix. While I've never tried polishing glass myself, I've heard that it is nearly impossible to do without serious elbow grease and a powerful polisher.

We bought another vehicle that my wife and 16 year old daughter will both be driving. We bought it used with only 7,600 miles and saved about $8,000 over a new one. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to teach my daughter how to properly detail a car. We spent about 90 minutes last weekend going through the whole process: wash, clay bar, polish in areas that needed it, and wax. The only thing she didn't do was run the Dewalt buffer as she's not quite ready for that. It was surprising how badly the car needed the clay bar treatment as it is less than a year old but the car now looks brand new and I was happy she has an appreciation for what a really clean and waxed car looks and feels like! She told me she was going to hand wash it again this weekend which is a great sign!

attachment.php

We bought another vehicle that my wife and 16 year old daughter will both be driving. We bought it used with only 7,600 miles and saved about $8,000 over a new one. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to teach my daughter how to properly detail a car. We spent about 90 minutes last weekend going through the whole process: wash, clay bar, polish in areas that needed it, and wax. The only thing she didn't do was run the Dewalt buffer as she's not quite ready for that. It was surprising how badly the car needed the clay bar treatment as it is less than a year old but the car now looks brand new and I was happy she has an appreciation for what a really clean and waxed car looks and feels like! She told me she was going to hand wash it again this weekend which is a great sign!

attachment.php

She looks happy behind the wheel. Looks spectacular and glares nicely. I can't wait for the weather to change so I can get White Lion out. Detail him up and get him ROARING again.

She looks happy behind the wheel. Looks spectacular and glares nicely. I can't wait for the weather to change so I can get White Lion out. Detail him up and get him ROARING again.

It's in like new condition now and quite a bit nicer than the $300 car I was driving in high school but she is a straight A student who gives us zero trouble so it's fun to spoil her a little. My wife drove a VW convertibles for 15 years until my daughter in the picture was 1 years old so I think she is enjoying the car as much as my daughter.

With Spring almost around the corner, detailing my cars will soon be approaching.
Bought a brand new OEM front bumper for my S2000 and had the lip finally painted along with it. Even had my buddy shave the license plate holes for a cleaner look. Also bought some new quick detailer that is supposed to be the bees knees, I can't believe they sold out of it already tho (https://www.detailersdomain.com/products/kenotek-showroom-shine). Will give some feedback once I get to use it!
DZoM9g3l.jpg

With Spring almost around the corner, detailing my cars will soon be approaching.
Bought a brand new OEM front bumper for my S2000 and had the lip finally painted along with it. Even had my buddy shave the license plate holes for a cleaner look. Also bought some new quick detailer that is supposed to be the bees knees, I can't believe they sold out of it already tho (https://www.detailersdomain.com/products/kenotek-showroom-shine). Will give some feedback once I get to use it!
DZoM9g3l.jpg
Yep same here. I need to get all the salt off and do some major detailing. Hopefully the winter didn't beat me up too bad.

attachment.php

Car is nice and all but I want the house. I love those garage doors.

Working on both cars and this one just got a fresh sealant put on. Tires and interior up next

78df5089f59d0b071f11634413924af6.jpg

Will be getting out the optimum no rinse in a few days. Probably should put a good coat of wax on the car too while I'm at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be getting out the optimum no rinse in a few days. Probably should put a good coat of wax on the car too while I'm at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing both cars with ONR as we speak and each will get sealed

I usually clean my car weekly. This fall I decided to have the car coated in ceramic pro. It helps keep the car clean and stops the need for wax and sealant. One coating of their 9H is good for at least five years. When I wash it now I use ceramic sport and the car will look this good every time. Its also super hydrophobic.

This was the day I picked it up. I had an inspection on it not too long ago and it looked just as good.
14681951_1312649115412512_2504918193843912299_o.jpg

I usually clean my car weekly. This fall I decided to have the car coated in ceramic pro. It helps keep the car clean and stops the need for wax and sealant. One coating of their 9H is good for at least five years. When I wash it now I use ceramic sport and the car will look this good every time. Its also super hydrophobic.

This was the day I picked it up. I had an inspection on it not too long ago and it looked just as good.
14681951_1312649115412512_2504918193843912299_o.jpg
Ceramic is such an amazing product. Not going to lie, I didn't believe it until my friend had his Touareg done. Two years later it still looks like the day he had it done. Will be going on any new vehicles we purchase in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ceramic is such an amazing product. Not going to lie, I didn't believe it until my friend had his Touareg done. Two years later it still looks like the day he had it done. Will be going on any new vehicles we purchase in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It is amazing stuff, I poured water on the rear quarter panel and it was dry immediately. I'm good friends with my detailer and I know a lot of people that have had it done and all of them look incredible. The ceramic glass is rainex on crack unless I'm sitting in traffic I don't need to use my windshield wipers. I need to get my new headlights coated and I'm going to have him do my golf shoes as well. I might do the interior next year as well. The above picture was with one step of paint correction too. When I picked it up I couldn't look at it, it was so shiny. He sent me a picture when it was curing and the car looked fake it was so clean. Any new cars I get are going from the delivery truck straight to him.

Back