The Car Shopping Thread

My guess is, if they do use the Edge platform, it would still be it's own beast, with suspension upgrades and the such. I'm thinking about how they do this with the Raptor F-150, as it runs down the regular F-150 assembly line.

Basically, Ford says they don't want to build a one use, one off vehicle unless there is a reason to do so....see Ford GT.

They can give it whatever suspension they want, it's still a FWD unibody vehicle.

I'm considering some type of mid-sized AWD crossover. Been driving and Acura TL for years and love it, but my new job will have me on the road more and here in the Northeast, our winter weather can turn on you fast. Say you've got up to $30K to spend, do mostly solo driving with the occasional 1-3 passengers, needs to hold at least 1 set of clubs, AWD and MPG at least mid-20's and above average reliability. I'm thinking Acura again with a CPO RDX or MDX. What else?

Makes sense for sure from a sales perspective. Engine lineups change of course, but based on the current lineup, think they would go 2.3 or 2.7?

To far out to say really. Considering the Raptor and most of the F-150 lineup is leaning towards the 3.5 EcoBoost, I'd LOVE to see that in the Bronco. However, if it is on the Edge platform, I'd bet the 2.3 EcoBoost, 2.7 or the 3.5 V6.

They can give it whatever suspension they want, it's still a FWD unibody vehicle.

I'd hope they would see the past and be smart enough to bring the RWD option to the vehicle and or make the AWD a standard option.

To far out to say really. Considering the Raptor and most of the F-150 lineup is leaning towards the 3.5 EcoBoost, I'd LOVE to see that in the Bronco. However, if it is on the Edge platform, I'd bet the 2.3 EcoBoost, 2.7 or the 3.5 V6.

I'd hope they would see the past and be smart enough to bring the RWD option to the vehicle and or make the AWD a standard option.

2.3 was my initial thought as well, but figured they may try and push the 2.7, sort of like an off road edition of the Edge Sport. But, as you mentioned, who knows this far out.

I still don't think they can massage the Edge into an off road vehicle. Their is a reason they still make truck chassis, for truck type activities. Just about every capable off road vehicle is a frame on chassis. Their were rumors of a unibody Wrangler a few years ago, but it was bunk. The only "offroad" vehicle I can think of on a unibody is the Range Rover, and that is very questionable if they can be called off road capable anymore.

I echo the comment about being built off the edge platform. If they do this might as well give out north face jackets and put in a heated Starbucks reward card slot/holder and call it what is really is a mall crawler.

Both the 60's small Bronco, 70-90's large Bronco and even the Bronco II were very capable off road vehicles stock and great when properly modified.

I for some reason want a toyota tacoma right now. not sure where that came from as I'm not a huge fan of trucks.
My next vehicle will be a pickup. My biggest decision will be whether to go with a 1/2 ton or one of the smaller trucks.

The new smaller trucks are perfect.

Big enough to tote stuff around but not driving a 40 foot long truck trying to find a parking spot

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
This is pretty much where my thinking is. I kind of want a 1/2 ton, but with my job I could have to travel down to the Bronx at any moment...and good luck getting around (and parking) in NYC with a 1/2 ton.

I still don't think they can massage the Edge into an off road vehicle. Their is a reason they still make truck chassis, for truck type activities. Just about every capable off road vehicle is a frame on chassis. Their were rumors of a unibody Wrangler a few years ago, but it was bunk. The only "offroad" vehicle I can think of on a unibody is the Range Rover, and that is very questionable if they can be called off road capable anymore.

I echo the comment about being built off the edge platform. If they do this might as well give out north face jackets and put in a heated Starbucks reward card slot/holder and call it what is really is a mall crawler.

Both the 60's small Bronco, 70-90's large Bronco and even the Bronco II were very capable off road vehicles stock and great when properly modified.

For what it's worth, I hope they DO use the Ranger truck platform as that makes more sense for true off road capabilities and use of RWD/4x4 suspension and trans that would be needed. Plus, most of the market that WOULD be interested in the Bronco would probably be "old school" enthusiasts, and they wouldn't like the Edge platform, like you have said.
Good thing is, IF it happens we're probably 4 to 6 years out from seeing it anyway, so I'm sure they would think about all this, too...but you never know, and that's the sad part.

I'm considering some type of mid-sized AWD crossover. Been driving and Acura TL for years and love it, but my new job will have me on the road more and here in the Northeast, our winter weather can turn on you fast. Say you've got up to $30K to spend, do mostly solo driving with the occasional 1-3 passengers, needs to hold at least 1 set of clubs, AWD and MPG at least mid-20's and above average reliability. I'm thinking Acura again with a CPO RDX or MDX. What else?

I know it's a similar vehicle to what you're looking at, but have you thought about the CR-V from Honda? Like I said I think it's a similar vehicle or the same with a different badge as what you are looking at. Or Honda has the HR-V that is their newest crossover. I think one commercial I saw for it said it was a mix between the Honda Accord, CR-V and Element.

I know it's a similar vehicle to what you're looking at, but have you thought about the CR-V from Honda? Like I said I think it's a similar vehicle or the same with a different badge as what you are looking at. Or Honda has the HR-V that is their newest crossover. I think one commercial I saw for it said it was a mix between the Honda Accord, CR-V and Element.

Thanks. I haven't driven the HR-V but I think it'll be a bit too small for what I'm looking for. I also haven't driven a newer CR-V and will check it out, but I like that the RDX has a 6 cyl. MPG is almost where I'd like it

Thanks. I haven't driven the HR-V but I think it'll be a bit too small for what I'm looking for. I also haven't driven a newer CR-V and will check it out, but I like that the RDX has a 6 cyl. MPG is almost where I'd like it

I've got a 1999 CR-V and my parents have a 2011 CR-V and they are night and day. I'm not sure if they have given it a revamp since 2011 but it's a much nicer ride than mine. I don't think the CR-V is 6 cyl though. The 4 might have enough pick up for you though. I thought the same thing about the HR-V being small. Just figured I'd throw it in there for you. Looking at them, the "top" model is less than $25k before all the "luxuries" are added. I built one for sh!ts and grins and came in under $28k for sensible add ons.

My wife looked at the RDX seriously and ended up with the CRV, really the biggest tradeoff was the v6 like you said. She actually preferred the interior on the Touring CRV over the RDX. Either way they are both great vehicles and will fit your intended roll very well.

Edit: the HRV is very tight, the front passenger seat has zero keg room.

RDX or X3 would both work IMO

RDX or X3 would both work IMO

The X3 is also on my radar...but I remember the conversation we had about BMWs and your suggestion on how long to keep them.... until just before the warranty is up

My wife looked at the RDX seriously and ended up with the CRV, really the biggest tradeoff was the v6 like you said. She actually preferred the interior on the Touring CRV over the RDX. Either way they are both great vehicles and will fit your intended roll very well.

Edit: the HRV is very tight, the front passenger seat has zero keg room.

Keg room? Never considered that when looking for a car. :alien:

I wasn't sure how much leg room would be in that car at all.

The X3 is also on my radar...but I remember the conversation we had about BMWs and your suggestion on how long to keep them.... until just before the warranty is up
How about a Mazda CX-5? I've heard good things.

How about a Mazda CX-5? I've heard good things.

Ya, I saw some good reviews on it and lots of YouTube videos about it. The AWD system is supposed to rival and even better Subaru. I'm waiting on the CX-9 to see if that's too big for what I need.

CPO will get you a total of 6 years and 100k miles on power train IIRC. Also, a third party warranty company is worth it IMO if you think you will really need it.

Knock on wood but mine is doing great at 62k miles and has only one thing go out in the 25k miles I have had it. The windshield washer fluid motor died but was completely covered under my CPO warranty.

I would drive the X3 last though because the Honda's and Toyota's will feel like rubbish afterwards :angel:

CPO will get you a total of 6 years and 100k miles on power train IIRC. Also, a third party warranty company is worth it IMO if you think you will really need it.

Knock on wood but mine is doing great at 62k miles and has only one thing go out in the 25k miles I have had it. The windshield washer fluid motor died but was completely covered under my CPO warranty.

I would drive the X3 last though because the Honda's and Toyota's will feel like rubbish afterwards :angel:
I'm considering on whether I want to add the extended warranty on mine. I have 43k on mine so it's decision time.

I'm considering on whether I want to add the extended warranty on mine. I have 43k on mine so it's decision time.

Go third party and find a reputable dealer to get it through. My buddy owns a car lot so I go through him. BMW will charge you 3-4x the actual cost to add it on. It also depends on how long you plan to keep the car and how well you maintain it. MY experience with BMW is that the engines and transmissions go forever. It is when all the little crap starts to break that they turn into money pits. Window switches, window regulators, sensors, stuff like that

Go third party and find a reputable dealer to get it through. My buddy owns a car lot so I go through him. BMW will charge you 3-4x the actual cost to add it on. It also depends on how long you plan to keep the car and how well you maintain it. MY experience with BMW is that the engines and transmissions go forever. It is when all the little crap starts to break that they turn into money pits. Window switches, window regulators, sensors, stuff like that
I haven't had a single warranty repair, it is making me a little overly brave.

I am very skeptical of third party warranties. I looked into them a while ago and reviews were all over the place, and cost wasnt that big of a difference.

I haven't had a single warranty repair, it is making me a little overly brave.

I am very skeptical of third party warranties. I looked into them a while ago and reviews were all over the place, and cost wasnt that big of a difference.

Yeah, sifting through all the BS can suck. If BMW doesn't want too much, it is worth it. I think they offered to extend mine for like $2800. I can get one through my buddy for about $1100 and he has used them a bunch. I can go to any mechanic and be covered. I have a BMW mechanic I use and won't step foot in a stealership unless I have to.

To me to make any marketing sense and to bring back the previous demographic that loved the bronco it would have to be based on the F150 chassis. It would be an easy build as it could roll right down the F150 assembly line. Even a Raptor like specialty truck would be a bolt on affair. Niche market is a tough sell these days. Sure the new GT350 and the GT go against that statement but those two are very important to the over all brand.
9044e5732edbe76a00294cc341d6721a.jpg

I would buy this one in a second.

So there's any article on Yahoo this morning about the Bronco. The article has two pictures that someone made/imagined what they would want the new Bronco to look like.
Let me start by saying, this is NOT the Bronco, as we're still not 100% sure they are going to make it...but....rather it was supposedly built into the UAW agreement that they might, or something like that.

ANYWAY....these look sweet!
I like the design of the white one the best, I think.

8be568ad2a1080d9a5ee5ffbb35bc24c

361d3c77eaa4bbf2d049dbd44685876d

Here is the actual Ford Bronco concept that was made back in 2004...

f67448eebe9ac2e55ec834cadc537317

I'll own one when or if they get released. The bigger the better imo

Definitely don't like the 2004 concept as much as these latest Bronco concepts, if it's in the 2020 line it will be on my list of test drives for sure

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Back