Can you turn off the conscious mind?

Nah, I'm just not going to engage with someone that is just trying to argue or debate. I come her for the fun of the game, and the fun of hanging out with like minded people. I'm not here for debates, or to bludgeon people with my ideals, nor do I want to be subjected to it. I've looked over most of your posts in this thread and to me they are antagonistic, and baiting. There is a debate section on THP for that.

Once again I will say. As the OP, my goal is the turn off the conscious mind and focus on score.

Your thoughts of my intent here are misunderstood. There is a big very difference between antagonistic vs taking part in discussion even if with different opinions and views and even if a bit challenging. One is done to cause trouble while the other is done for sake of interest, knowledge, help, and hopefully works towards a better end result. We are not all here to be like minded nor imo should that be expected nor should we be. There is not much good to become of a forum imo if we were all like minded. In that idea a forum does not gain anything and can easily become worthless towards anything except to BS about golf with no real goals. I would think THP is a lot more than just that. In your view and in fact what you dictated is that any view not of like mind has no place here because you come here only to talk with like minds and anyone who views differently shouldn't be here and should take his view elsewhere. One cannot take his different view on a subject thread and bring it to a debate thread just because its not like minded. That makes no sense at all.

I can assure you 100% that my intent is not one of antagonizing trouble. We all start threads and its usually (far more often than not) going to spark some debate and different views. Its what imo more than anything drives this forum forward and is what offers far more info, help, and knowledge in the end than we would ever gain otherwise.

I have far better and more important things in my life other than to come here just to antagonize trouble. My life is far too busy for that and that's not me anyway. I come for fun (I joke around a lot here too) and I come for interest and I come to gain as much as I could even at the risk of being at times the devils advocate, but that's never done with any ill intent. Its done out of interest and question and with an honest and friendly intent. Not one of an antagonizing ill intended thought at all. As said, these pages wouldn't offer too much at all imo if everyone here was like minded.

Its getting deep in here.

As to the OP, I'm with you Kevin, its something that I can do now thanks to my coaching spot and it's been pretty damn cool to experience and see the difference it makes in my scores.

As to the OP, I'm with you Kevin, its something that I can do now thanks to my coaching spot and it's been pretty damn cool to experience and see the difference it makes in my scores.

I know dude, I was reminded in The Grandaddy thread exactly what it is I'm looking to achieve. I had some success with it yesterday on the course. And will keep working on it. It was crazy yesterday, on the front side I worked so hard to not think about "mechanics" that I wasn't really thinking golf at all. And the front side score showed. I threw up (damn near literally) a 45. Settled in to scoring and attacking when it was the play and posted 39 on the back. So I'll get there dude.

What has coaching allowed you to see or "click". What are something's you are doing towards this?

yesterday I tried to focus on shot at hand and just hit a golf shot. I am trying to envision thenshitbi want to hit but that was hit or miss when I tried it a few times yesterday.

I did turn off the conscious mind today while I played and how a pretty outstanding round, even when the nerves were showing with what was on the line the last two holes I was able to focus up and execute and play golf shot and not golf swing.

I have been working hard on doing it. If something starts to distract me as it did yesterday ( playing partner was having a bad day and F bombing and throwing clubs) I just looked away and took in the scenery of the pond we where by. I noticed how calm the water was, it distracted me enough from him to get back to a good state of mind and finish the round.
I told him when we got finished that he needed to decide if he wanted to keep playing with me and if he did then he needed to quit the antics. Last chance for that guy enough is enough.

I think it must take a lot of practice to swing a club without any thought given to the consequences. Something I need to work on!

No. I'm not smart enough to shut of my brain.

You could try some of these.

I make a dry swing with my eyes closed, just to feel the balance needed.

I also just look at the ball and the target, and move my body in a way so that I can get my ball towards the target.

I've used these in several rounds and these have proven helpful, and keeps my head off swing thoughts and the usual worries, like scores and hazards.

Now if I could only figure out a way to get back to the zone after several phone calls.....

You could try some of these.

I make a dry swing with my eyes closed, just to feel the balance needed.

That is something I have tried at the range and its not imo so easy. Kind of throws me off balance..lol
My normal practice swing is usually about tempo more than any swing thoughts. I figure that an "out of tempo" swing can lead to just about any mechanical breakdown. Unfortunately sometimes my tempo on my practice swing is very nice :) but then not so much on my real swing..lol

Sometimes for a bit but at some point in the round it always enters. Mental game can be tough to control.

Sometimes for a bit but at some point in the round it always enters. Mental game can be tough to control.

I agree its tuff. How many short putts I can make a million times for bogey or worse yet can do the exact same for par or especially bird....lol

I think it's possible for brief periods that sometimes, but not always, coincide with the act of striking the ball. I can be out playing and having a terrible game, say, off the tee. Then somewhere along the line stripe one down the middle, and when my playing partner asks what I did differently I respond with an honest "I don't know." To me that's when the conscious mind has been disabled and the subconscious and muscle memory are in charge.

I'm trying to kick swing thoughts out of my head the more the swing change becomes natural the easier it has become to just focus on the shot ahead. I've had me best rounds when I just focus on where I want the ball to go and how I want it to get there.

I think turning off your conscious mind and allowing your unconscious mind to guide you is a huge step towards playing quality golf. If you know what motions make a successful swing, all you need is a trigger to get you started and from there allow your unconscious mind to complete the swing for you. The one thing I've taken from watching Shawn Clement (because I sure as heck can't swing like him) is his visualization of the picture and then allowing your body to swing to the picture. Your brain is your most powerful tool and allowing it to flourish in a positive manner can lead to great success. IMO of course. Good luck T2GRN18.

Back