Christmas traditions, what are yours?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Everyone does Christmas differently and has different traditions. I’d love to hear your traditions?

(edited to add the rest)

Typically open my birthday gifts in the morning
Christmas Eve service at church in the evening
Read the Night Before Christmas and the Christmas story from Luke.
Make s'mores before bed (and one for Santa).

Last edited:
1. Kids get to open 1 gift on X-mas eve before bed.
2. Tamales and bean dip for X-mas eve dinner.
3. Elf shows up the day after Thanksgiving and leaves X-mas eve night.
4. Cinnamon rolls on X-mas morning.
5. Don't wake mom & dad up before 7am.

we open wrapped presents from family on eve after church.

kids go to bed and santa comes at night to leave unwrapped big gifts for kids, and stuffs stockings for kids and adults.

we eat a big meal and watch football and build puzzles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- We attend the 5pm church service on Christmas Eve
- Chinese food dinner after church
- "Read" a recorded version of 'Twas the night before Christmas on Christmas Eve before the kids go to bed (the kid's Grandma recorded the reading)
- Santa arrives to put all presents under the tree
- Cinnamon rolls for breakfast Christmas morning
- Open presents together.

Last edited:
This year we did something different that hopefully turns into an annual tradition. We called our church and asked if they knew a family in need. Instead of our normal secret Santa, we pooled the money together and bought stuff for the family. My kids really embraced it and my 6 year old donated his train table and his Thomas trains. Proud parent moment

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Since we've been married, my wife and I do Christmas Eve with my parents and some family friends, after visiting my aunt and uncle on the way down. We get a bunch of Italian food from a local restaurant and just catch up.

On Christmas day we have some friends come over to my in laws and we have Chinese food (the in laws do a more "traditional" Christmas dinner the night before).

We open our presents on Christmas Eve, and then Christmas morning is Santa’s presents along with blueberry pancakes and mamosa’s.

1. Kids get to open 1 gift on X-mas eve before bed.
2. Tamales and bean dip for X-mas eve dinner.
3. Elf shows up the day after Thanksgiving and leaves X-mas eve night.
4. Cinnamon rolls on X-mas morning.
5. Don't wake mom & dad up before 7am.

Number 2, how did that start?

My traditions are mostly

1. Making Seimen for Christmas eve (hawaiian/asian heritage thing).
2. Wrapping the gifts and putting them under the tree.
3. Watching Elf or The Holiday

(edited to add the rest)

Typically open my birthday gifts in the morning
Christmas Eve service at church in the evening
Read the Night Before Christmas and the Christmas story from Luke.
Make s'mores before bed (and one for Santa).

Christmas Birthday aye =)

My traditions are mostly

1. Making Seimen for Christmas eve (hawaiian/asian heritage thing).
2. Wrapping the gifts and putting them under the tree.
3. Watching Elf or The Holiday

Christmas Birthday aye =)

Today actually. We do most of our stuff on Christmas Eve. Still have gifts and meal on CD, just our more unique items are Eve.

1. Christmas Eve Dinner with friends (we have no family that lives in AZ). This year it's ham.
2. Prime rib dinner on Christmas Day.
3. Watch a Christmas Story
4. Watch a Christmas Carol (typically the Black and White Alister Sim (?) version)

All my kids are grown so we'll played adult board/card games (Cards against Humanity has been a staple the past couple of years).

Edit: I almost forgot that we also watch Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas every year. Loved this show as a child.

Last edited:
Number 2, how did that start?

My family. We hosted a X-mas eve party forever with a few other families growing up and my mom would always serve tamales and her home made bean dip. Lindsay has since learned how to make it from my mom and it is wonderful. Could just eat it with a spoon. So that's carried over from my family.

We don't do much, mainly I suppose because we don't have children, but that changes in the next couple of weeks.

The wife's lone tradition right now is that she has to watch The Grinch (original animated version).

We got discussing last night, that Chinese Food on Boxing day will be a tradition going forward.

Christmas Eve the wife and I open our gifts to each other.
Watch Elf, wife's favorite movie ever.

Christmas day we do stockings.
Go to in laws for a Prime Rib brunch and exchange gifts with family. It usually ends with me and my FIL sitting on the deck with a great cigar and glass of whiskey or 2.

We open our presents on Christmas Eve, and then Christmas morning is Santa’s presents along with blueberry pancakes and mamosa’s.

I read this to my family. My daughters are lobbying for a new Christmas morning tradition. Looks like I'm off to get some champagne, cranberry and orange juice at some point today.

It has changed a bit over the years, but currently since the stepson is at his fathers my wife and I pick up my mom on Christmas eve and go have nice dinner somewhere then home and just relax. Christmas dinner is always stroganoff for me and the wife. We will open presents on New Years day when the boy gets home.

They used to be go out Christmas Eve to the pub and get leathered. Then go to the pub Christmas Day lunch time and get leathered. That hasn’t been possible since I moved to the US unfortunately, 1 because of kids, and 2 all the bloody pubs seem to close on Christmas Eve for 24 hours!

#FiberLaunch

I read this to my family. My daughters are lobbying for a new Christmas morning tradition. Looks like I'm off to get some champagne, cranberry and orange juice at some point today.

Yeah, last year was the first we started it. Was a big hit (pancakes with the kids, mamosas for us). We’ll probably let them use champagne glasses for their OJ.

Nothing unusual. Christmas with my family on Christmas Eve and my wife's on Christmas Day.

One tradition my wife and I started a few years ago is drinking White Russians while decorating the tree and house for Christmas.

Lots of family so much so we have to break it into 4 different days over the holidays

Nothing unusual. Christmas with my family on Christmas Eve and my wife's on Christmas Day.

One tradition my wife and I started a few years ago is drinking White Russians while decorating the tree and house for Christmas.

Love White Russians (actually Colorado Bulldogs= White Russian with a splash of Coke).

They used to be go out Christmas Eve to the pub and get leathered. Then go to the pub Christmas Day lunch time and get leathered. That hasn’t been possible since I moved to the US unfortunately, 1 because of kids, and 2 all the bloody pubs seem to close on Christmas Eve for 24 hours!

#FiberLaunch

I like to get leathered during the holidays too. Mainly because it helps numb the in-laws

We have exactly one Christmas tradition: On Christmas Eve, we have to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I don't remember how or why it started, but we're 20+ years strong at this point.

Back