Driver Sound - How Much Does It Mean To You?

I prefer a solid sound but if it goes farther than my last driver I will play a terrible sounding driver.

I prefer a more muted thwack. Like a J40 or my Optiforce.

Some sound better than others, but it really doesn't make much difference to me.

i hate muted sounds, i always feel like it's a mishit. I guess otherwise sound doesn't bother me since i have had the G30 for over a year now and despite getting revolting looks from people at the range, i never had much issue with it

Results are all I care about. It can sound like a cannon as long as it's long and straight!!!

To be honest, it plays a big part for me when I'm looking in to a new driver. The acoustics and the look. Generally I hit all drivers relatively the same. Sure there is some variance between different clubs but not enough to truly matter. The biggest thing I look for in a driver is the way it feels off the face though. Also, I could never play a driver that sounds like a baseball bat. I would cringe after every shot lol.
This minus the baseball bat, and the "feel off the face". I only feel if it's a toe/heel hit. But not low/high.
I don't want my driver to sound like I'm kicking a trash can, would rather have it sound a bit dull. :)

The driver in my bag right now is a pretty great thwack. Put a very high compression ball on the tee towards the end of the round today and the pitch changed. But man did she have something to say about it...out there!

I have never found the sounds to bother me much. I do like the sound my Cobra makes when I hit the sweet spot though, Generally if I hear that sound I know my Ball is going good.

I haven't hit that many, but sound wouldn't be a big deal, unless it was REALLY different.

I want a rich sounding driver. Hard to define. I know it when I hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter much at all to me. I care more about the result than sound.

It doesn't matter much at all to me. I care more about the result than sound.

Same. And in my limited experience I've never heard one that just sounded off or wrong to me.

One of the most important things to me not a huge fan of a metallic sound

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Sound is pretty low on my list with any club. Performance and looks rank a lot higher for me.

Feel is more important to me than sound.

Sound is feel.

As such its crucial to me.

Sound is a huge part of the satisfaction of a ball well-struck. I am another who does not like to hear TING. Maybe a large part of this is growing up with persimmon woods, but metallic rings are just irritating. Can I tell two stories that illustrate the importance of sound?

1. I will never forget when John Daly came to the Masters for the first time. I was eager to see him drive the ball, but just as eager to HEAR him drive it. I went out to the 5th tee and waited for him, because I knew that would be a rip with driver. When he got there, he pulled out the driver, and hammered a long one - the sight of it was awesome, but the sound was a big letdown, a muffled thud off that Kevlar driver he was hitting at the time.

2. The best sounding drive I ever heard is a vivid memory. It came, of all times, in a Lauderdale tournament called the Rosie O'Grady, which was a once annual event in which we played the course backwards. My friend and partner Patrick, who was a very long hitter, stood at the tee set in front of the #1 green driving back towards the #9 green. About 200 yards away was the swamp with full grown trees that separated the two holes - I had driven a great one through the trees into the #9 fairway, maybe 100 yards from the green. Patrick aimed directly at the #9 green and took a mighty swing and - THWAACCKKK!!! - belted a majestic drive over all the trees to about 40 yards in front of the green, probably a 330 yard carry (this in the early 1990's with the equipment of that time). I can still close my eyes and "hear" it.

This might be the only part of a club that i don't care about. Weird I know. I could not care less what it sounds like

I would like to say it doesn't mean much to me. Although I love the fact that you can tell a perfectly struck shot by just the sound. It doesn't matter what it sounds like as long as you can make that distinction.

Sound doesn't matter to me. I've tried everything from scandalous to muted but sound to me is more of a byproduct than a performance point that I'm looking for.

I've tried all the OEM's to Honma to specialty heads like KZG, SMT and of course Wishon.

In the finer points, it's a nice driver that has a distinct loud sound when you hit it on the sweet spot, this is a sign that the designers really did their homework.

On the contrary, it feels weird for a driver to be super loud but really doesn't fly too far...

If the ball goes straight... I don't care what it sounds like. I have noticed some drivers are ALOT louder or different sounding, but give me results over sound.

I like it when it's a good loud thwack or crack. It just feels good

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I honestly rarely notice the sound of my driver.

I prefer a more muted sound if possible. The Titleist 910 D2 was an awesome sounding metal driver imo.

loved my 910 D3. Demo'd a R1 about 2 months ago. I think I hit it on 2 or 3 tees then it stayed in the bag until I hit the turn. Sounded terrible like a hitting a big tree with a baseball bat. Just like the Nike drivers do.

I want a metallic ping that sounds hot. I'll never forget when the Callaway titanium woods came out. Unmistakable sound off the face. And it made sparks at night! Man I had to have one! hit that club for many years.

Got the 915 a few weeks ago. its sound isn't as piercing as the 910 and I don't mind it being a bit muted. But it definitely sounds solid and I can live with that.

Back