What was the shortest hitter you know that was a scratch player ?

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Played a real short but narrow course today and had an interesting conversation with a buddy concerning minimum distance to play scratch amateur golf. Being a member a few years back at this facility I played with a few gentleman that were short but could still shoot level par. The course is only 6050 from the back tees but very narrow.

I recall one of the men's champions was only 210 to 220 off the tee . But he still played a level par game / was laser straight and had a superior short game. He traveled well also , and still played great golf at other locations as well

thru your thp travels , do you recall a shortish hitter still shooting level par? If yes what was their average distance ?

This has Mward jokes written all over it

I've only played with 1 scratch amateur before (former college player) and he hits it about 260 off of the tee.

For what it's worth, shooting even par on a short, tight course does not equal being a scratch player. But that's another discussion entirely.

This has Mward jokes written all over it

Minus that scratch part. I'll take all the jokes in the world to shoot 74-75 regularly!

From that yardage it's possible. But from normal tips yardage 7000 plus. It would be very, very difficult to do. I know a few really low HC that avg about 260 off the tee. They are 2-3 HC.

Minus that scratch part. I'll take all the jokes in the world to shoot 74-75 regularly!

Drink more Malort and shave those arms for more swing speed so you can hit it farther than 185

:act-up:

One of the guys in my regular group is a scratch golfer who only hits the ball like 240 on average.

However far Guan Tianlang can hit it.

Drink more Malort and shave those arms for more swing speed so you can hit it farther than 185

:act-up:

Perhaps next year after working out during the winter time I'll get to 190 total :alien:

I've only played with 1 scratch amateur before (former college player) and he hits it about 260 off of the tee.

For what it's worth, shooting even par on a short, tight course does not equal being a scratch player. But that's another discussion entirely.

Length of the course is a huge factor but remember a gentlemen named Corey Pavin who was averaging 246 yards when he won at Shinecock Hills just under 7000 yards. I have played with Scratch in Fl. that drove it 215 but also played from the one up tees.

Well for what it is worth . Many of the public courses here and a few country clubs have no issues in front of the greens . And are usually open to run the ball up. The one gentleman who is 210 to 220 runs it right up the middle of the greens on longer holes. It's actually quite impressive how accurate he is , he can literally use the same ball for weeks.

One of the guys in my regular group is a scratch golfer who only hits the ball like 240 on average.
My old golf pro once told me the average scratch green only hits (may have been carried) it 240 on average.

I don't know how true it was.

I'm going to play this short course again today. But in regards to a 7000 course , how often does anyone really play beasts like that in their life times? Again , most courses where I live are mid 6000's at the most. And that is more than plenty long enough for any amateur golfer

if I had to take a bet, I would say anyone can play par golf who can hit 220 off the tee.

Why do people say 'only 6000 yards' I feel like for most amateurs 6000 yards is plenty long. I've known someone that drove the ball around 230 on average and was scratch.

Why do people say 'only 6000 yards' I feel like for most amateurs 6000 yards is plenty long. I've known someone that drove the ball around 230 on average and was scratch.
I think it just depends what your used too. My home course makes 6000 seem short.
Blue Tees -6857
White Tees- 6497
Yellow Tees-5528
Red Tees-5031
I play the whites all the time, so for me 6000 would most likely seem a bit shorter because of what I play on the regular

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Just a random fact some might find interesting: When Jose Maria Olazabal won the 1999 Masters (they played from just under 7,000 yards) he averaged 239 off the tee.

I think it just depends what your used too. My home course makes 6000 seem short.
Blue Tees -6857
White Tees- 6497
Yellow Tees-5528
Red Tees-5031
I play the whites all the time, so for me 6000 would most likely seem a bit shorter because of what I play on the regular

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I guess it also depends on how the course is laid out as well. As someone who hits the ball around 240, I usually play between 5800-6300. I think it comes down to putting and short game anyway. I played 7000 once and while it was an experience I don't know if I would do it again.

Best player at my club hits about 240 off the tee. Easily scratch and the course plays ~6700. This guy's the straightest hitter I've ever seen.

I'm going to play this short course again today. But in regards to a 7000 course , how often does anyone really play beasts like that in their life times? Again , most courses where I live are mid 6000's at the most. And that is more than plenty long enough for any amateur golfer

if I had to take a bet, I would say anyone can play par golf who can hit 220 off the tee.
On the regular.

My previous instructor only drove the ball 225 at best. But he could work every club in the bag and his short game was amazing. I played a 9 with him and he shot a 35 from 3200 yards. If he missed a green, he just wedged it close and tapped it in.

I've only played with one scratch golfer ever, and he's canadian and not a short hitter.

I don't think distance has anything to do with being a scratch golfer. If you have a sound swing, hit fairways, and have a great short game why couldn't you be a scratch golfer? Even if you are shorter off the tee and might have 165 yards into the green rather than 130 yards, you still make up for it with superior irons, short game, and putting.

I've always been a shorter than average hitter (and no where near scratch) but in reality par on most longer courses is at least possible if everything is clicking perfectly. It's only those with long forced carries and no secondary bail out options that are completely impossible for us short knockers. To directly address the OP's question, I've only played with two legit scratch golfers. Based off how far past me they were I'm guessing the shortest was typically around 250 off the tee. But that was a back in the day before golf balls became super balls 250, so probably 275 now? I mean I left golf for about 20 years and came back as an out of shape old guy who magically hits it further now than he ever could as a young athlete?

Last edited:
My friends have always told me how Daniel, a pro at The Inn of the Mountain Gods in Ruidoso, NM, just tears up every course in the area. He's good for a 68 just about any day.

Well I got to play with him at The Outlaw a couple of weeks ago, and he is very short! He shot +1, and my friends said that was the worst they had ever seen him play. The guy could drive it about 250, but never missed a fairway. The rest of his game was just steady and solid. I've played with guys that were of his caliber, but I was surprised by the lack of distance. There was a guy from Humble named Marty Schiene that played on tour; he was also very short but VERY accurate.

By definition of a scratch golfer says that they hit their driver a minimum of 250 yds and can shoot the course rating 25% of their rounds.

I have played with zero scratch golfers that average less than 270 off of the tee.

I played 7,100 yards the other week and broke 80. No need to limit yourself if your game can handle it me thinks.

Back