Who’s playing old clubs and loving them?

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
I played a couple of days ago with my late dad’s clubs. (I play Mizuno JPX forged 850s) Don’t know why I grabbed them, but they are Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845’s from late 80s early 90s, shot a 76 with them, and had a blast doing it. Got me thinking I’m sure people are gaming older equipment and loving it still, anyone got some old clubs they just keep gaming and loving?

I've considered buying an older set from Goodwill just to see how I'd do. I suspect scoring won't be considerably different, but distances would of course be a little shorter.

I have an old set of Ping Eye 2's that I take out and play a round with once in a while.

Ping i3 3 wood and 5 wood (not T isi Tec)from 15 years ago. I love the weight of the head, I don't have to swing hard.

I still play a Callaway Big Bertha War Bird 3 wood from the mid 90s. Have zero desire to replace it and will use it until it breaks.

I can't get myself to get rid of three sets of irons.
1: Taylor Made LCGs. My dad's clubs.
2. Cleveland TA3s. My high-school gamers. I've got a lot of memories in those old clubs and to this day I find them to be one of the most visually appealing sets of irons I've seen.
3. Titleist 710 AP2s. The set of clubs I used to fire my lowest round ever and my only hole in one.
Nostalgic I guess

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I still sometimes use an old PING PAL putter I bought from someone here a few years ago.

Still have, and play occasionally, Hogan Edge forged perimeter weighted irons and not too old Cobra AMP Cell graphite shafted irons. Still love the impact feel of the Hogan Edge irons but have to adjust for the less distance of each iron. When I play the AMP Cell irons I wonder why I still don't play them, 1 club less distances but such a great impact feel with them plus t graphite shafts are so nice. Love the current gamer irons, see signature, but the AMP Cells sure are sweet.

Ive got a vintage set of Mizunos: persimmon woods, MP-14 irons, MP wedges and an old 0805 putter that I use from time to time. I enjoy them because when you hit those clubs pure, you know it and I love all the tradition and the history behind the MP-14.
I love my JPX 800s and all the technology in them but lets be honest, playing with metal woods and oversize cavity back irons is like riding a bike with training wheels. If you really want to test your skills and see what kind of a shotmaker you are, persimmon woods and vintage blades are where its at.

Found a Billy Casper Biltmore putter I used as a kid in my mom's attic over the holiday. Going to see how I do with this 60's chunk of metal compared to the newer technological advanced putters I have leaning against the wall.https://goo.gl/images/TRKw4Y

My clubs are from last year. That’s pretty long for me to keep a set. I’m ready for something new though.

New equipment is half the fun.

I play callaway apex pros from 2014 and rocketbladez tour from 2012 ish. Still have my old R9 TPs too

Sent from HTX

Ive got a vintage set of Mizunos: persimmon woods, MP-14 irons, MP wedges and an old 0805 putter that I use from time to time. I enjoy them because when you hit those clubs pure, you know it and I love all the tradition and the history behind the MP-14.
I love my JPX 800s and all the technology in them but lets be honest, playing with metal woods and oversize cavity back irons is like riding a bike with training wheels. If you really want to test your skills and see what kind of a shotmaker you are, persimmon woods and vintage blades are where its at.

I played a set of MP-19 irons until I flat wore them out. Took 20 years.

My TM Burner driver in the bag is from 2007, and I've got an old Napa-style Nicklaus putter that I use once in a while.

I am not good enough to give up the advantage of newer equipment. That said my irons don't have any real new tech but I don't see me ever trying to hit 30-40 year old irons.

My irons are pretty old and I have no plans to change.

Still have my Hogan Apex Edge irons that I bought new in 2001 in the bag, just love the sound and feel of them!

Back