Must play courses in Tampa area ?

Not sure. But it's a must play, even though it's not technically in Tampa.

Going to be on Sand Key in May with some friends.'was told I must make the drive to Streamsong....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to be on Sand Key in May with some friends.'was told I must make the drive to Streamsong....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic courses.

Made another thread (after missing this one during my search) and was directed to post here instead. Long story short, I am planning a bachelor party for early May and looking to nail down 2 good courses to play near Tampa/Clearwater. I think Innisbrook - Copperhead is going to be a must, now I'm looking for a second course. Thinking maybe Dunedin or WW - Pine Barrens? Any other must play recommendations or would they be good enough to not disappoint?

Made another thread (after missing this one during my search) and was directed to post here instead. Long story short, I am planning a bachelor party for early May and looking to nail down 2 good courses to play near Tampa/Clearwater. I think Innisbrook - Copperhead is going to be a must, now I'm looking for a second course. Thinking maybe Dunedin or WW - Pine Barrens? Any other must play recommendations or would they be good enough to not disappoint?
I like Dunedin, classic Ross course. I had heard it was in awful shape, not sure if it's still the case. Both courses at WW are worth it, but not close to Clearwater.

I like Dunedin, classic Ross course. I had heard it was in awful shape, not sure if it's still the case. Both courses at WW are worth it, but not close to Clearwater.

Thanks, Wake. Had seen that WW was quite the drive so crossed that off the list, currently Dunedin is Round 1, Copperhead Round 2, and Belleview Biltmore Golf Club is the optional round 3 (any comments on Belleview would be great).

Has anyone played Dunedin recently to comment on the course condition? We all grew up caddying at a Ross course, so would be cool to take the guys to another.

Dunedin is awful
Biltmore is below average
If you are trying to stay close by to that area, just play the other Innisbrook course (Islands)

Thanks, Wake. Had seen that WW was quite the drive so crossed that off the list, currently Dunedin is Round 1, Copperhead Round 2, and Belleview Biltmore Golf Club is the optional round 3 (any comments on Belleview would be great).

Has anyone played Dunedin recently to comment on the course condition? We all grew up caddying at a Ross course, so would be cool to take the guys to another.
From what I have heard the Biltmore is on much better shape right now, and is still a quality Ross.

I've been meaning to play that one forever and have never made it happen.

Dunedin is awful
Biltmore is below average
If you are trying to stay close by to that area, just play the other Innisbrook course (Islands)

We are staying at a house in Clearwater on the beach, what's a good substitute for Dunedin that is ~ 30 mins away? Innisbrook is ~30 mins away, people won't want to drive any further than that for a round. Anything good that is local to Clearwater that you could recommend instead, JB? Preferably mid-price so I don't have to hear my friends complain about 2 $100+ rounds.

Last edited:
I will be playing down in the same area in December. I thought about the Innsbrook courses, but they may be outside the comfortable price range so I am looking at other alternatives as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I live just on the other side of the bridge from Clearwater on Rocky Point, and am a member at a club in Clearwater - but I do like to mix it up and play some other places, so I've been around a little bit. The sad truth is, outside of the pricier places (Innisbrook, TPC) and the private places, the pickings are slim if you want to stay close. The best right now are (in no particular order) Wentworth, The Eagles, and Westchase. They're all $50 or less and have, outside of weather and maintenance periods, been in good shape every time I've gone. There are places that aren't completely unplayable and would be fun still, but if you want the best bang for your buck, that is the list inside of the Palm Harbor, Clearwater Beach, Airport triangle.

Dunedin is not awful at all, I just played there 8 days ago. They had some pro-am type event and the greens were running at a legit 12. Fastest I've putted on since I've been in FL for 2 years, and it wasn't close. Fairways and rough were hit or miss, but overall the course was just fine (as of 8 days ago). I would far prefer Fox Hollow to Westchase, but that's just my own personal bias.

@Wake, Biltmore is better than it's been in the last few years for sure. Actually playing there this sunday also.

I played Dunedin yesterday actually and it was really rough. Greens were fast, but the fairways were muddy, the tee boxes were carved up terribly and and rough had patches all over that was just dirt.

I played Dunedin yesterday actually and it was really rough. Greens were fast, but the fairways were muddy, the tee boxes were carved up terribly and and rough had patches all over that was just dirt.
ah that's a huge bummer. Course has such potential. Guess that saves me a trip back. I know 15-18 are always bad for a month after rain

ah that's a huge bummer. Course has such potential. Guess that saves me a trip back. I know 15-18 are always bad for a month after rain

Yeah it really is a bummer. My group said "2 weeks ago it was playing well" and then had my same thoughts. The entire back 9 other than 12-13 were really pretty rough. Maybe they can get it under control.

Yeah it really is a bummer. My group said "2 weeks ago it was playing well" and then had my same thoughts. The entire back 9 other than 12-13 were really pretty rough. Maybe they can get it under control.
It sucks that it takes so little rain to make most courses on that side of town turn to Marsh.

I don't know why I didn't think of Fox Hollow, I would definitely check that one out. Much better than most of the ones mentioned imo.

Must play courses in Tampa area ?

Thanks for all the advice in here fellas. I can't get the buy in to make the 60 minute trip to WW, so it's looking like Copperhead and Wentworth are going to be our 2 courses. I'm working to get the cheap skates to get on board with Copperhead and TPC as the second course, but that's going to be an uphill battle for sure.

I would skip TPC. They want rates near or over 100 depending on time of day, and it's not even worth the TPC name anymore.

It's better to scrap that course and play another on Innisbrook property, or use the money saved to justify playing at Innisbrook.

I would skip TPC. They want rates near or over 100 depending on time of day, and it's not even worth the TPC name anymore.

It's better to scrap that course and play another on Innisbrook property, or use the money saved to justify playing at Innisbrook.

Roger, thanks mate. Maybe we can do the Island course as the second course then if they will agree to two premium rounds.

The most likely route is that we do West on day 1 then Copperhead on day 2. Too many casual players to convince them to drop $100+ on 2 rounds, given the other expenses we have planned for nightlife.

Going to plan a 3rd round for Saturday if the real golfers want to play, my buddy referenced Belleview Biltmore since it's pretty close to our house - any feedback/experience there?

Has anyone played WestChase recently? I've read it is in terrible condition, which is not a good thing because I am planning on playing there mid March.

Also, how high of a price are we talking for a round at Innisbrook? This course will be on our itinerary also.

Has anyone played WestChase recently? I've read it is in terrible condition, which is not a good thing because I am planning on playing there mid March.

Also, how high of a price are we talking for a round at Innisbrook? This course will be on our itinerary also.

Geez, I hope not. I feel like every course not named Innisbrook that people say is good in the area ends up "being in terrible condition currently" and not worth playing.

Never again will I go to the Tampa area for a golf trip (wasn't my decision on this one).

Bumping this, hoping to hear some positive reviews??

Bumping this, hoping to hear some positive reviews??
well my sunday group played there two days ago and they all got vouchers to come back for $30 because it was in bad shape.

Fox Hollow is great right now. Copperhead at Innisbrook is now closed in prep for the tourney, and they're charging $210 for the Island course which is lunacy to me. If you can find a way to get on Southern Hills, it should be spectacular right now, as they're doing qualifying for valspar I think.

Never again will I go to the Tampa area for a golf trip (wasn't my decision on this one).

Couple of things.
1. The Tampa Bay area is a huge area and has somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 golf courses including many that are fantastic.
2. There are plenty of courses not called Innisbrook that absolutely great.

With in one hour of Tampa Airport there are 10 courses at a minimum that are absolutely incredible.

well my sunday group played there two days ago and they all got vouchers to come back for $30 because it was in bad shape.

Fox Hollow is great right now. Copperhead at Innisbrook is now closed in prep for the tourney, and they're charging $210 for the Island course which is lunacy to me. If you can find a way to get on Southern Hills, it should be spectacular right now, as they're doing qualifying for valspar I think.
That's not what I wanted to hear about westchase. Our itinerary as it stands right now is:

Sun. 3/13 - 1pm @ Westchase (go from airport to lunch then to course)

Mon. 3/14 - 8am & 1pm @ World Woods

Tue. 3/15 - TBD @ Lake Jovita (head pro. is calling me back tomorrow)

Wed. 3/16 - TBD (fox hollow, waiting to book tee time)

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Back