Cobra Golf Fly-Z Driver Review Thread

I bought this club at a ridiculous price, that's the main reason why I got it plus some of the positive comments about it. Took it out yesterday, I couldn't hit it straight consistently most of my hits were fades, no slice but fades. Tried to draw a few but found that very hard to almost impossible. It might be the shaft since I know nothing about the VLCT shaft at all. Will be putting back the 913 D2 until I figure it out maybe with a new shaft.

Was thinking of cutting mine down a bit as the longer drivers like the FlyZ is harder for me to control. Did you re-weight at that length?
I'm about to do the same thing to mine.

I bought this club at a ridiculous price, that's the main reason why I got it plus some of the positive comments about it. Took it out yesterday, I couldn't hit it straight consistently most of my hits were fades, no slice but fades. Tried to draw a few but found that very hard to almost impossible. It might be the shaft since I know nothing about the VLCT shaft at all. Will be putting back the 913 D2 until I figure it out maybe with a new shaft.
Try some lead tape on the toe side of the bottom of the club. That did wonders to keep me from hitting fades.
I also found that putting the head in N instead of D config helped me draw the ball better (no idea why, maybe loft?)

I need a driver to replace my TopFlite but really don't want to spend too much money in the process. Seeing as I've gone all in on Cobra (even before being crowned King for the month),I am considering either this or the Bio Cell. I hit the Fly-Z at Dicks a few days ago and thought it went well, but I've seen a lot of love for the Bio Cell on here as well.

Anybody hit both and can tell me how they compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need a driver to replace my TopFlite but really don't want to spend too much money in the process. Seeing as I've gone all in on Cobra (even before being crowned King for the month),I am considering either this or the Bio Cell. I hit the Fly-Z at Dicks a few days ago and thought it went well, but I've seen a lot of love for the Bio Cell on here as well.

I have hit both.
I believe the FlyZ is longer and more forgiving. Ball flight is lower (although I hit a high ball). Sound and feel are similar.
I sold my Bio Cell and still have the FlyZ.

I have hit both.
I believe the FlyZ is longer and more forgiving. Ball flight is lower (although I hit a high ball). Sound and feel are similar.
I sold my Bio Cell and still have the FlyZ.

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

Try some lead tape on the toe side of the bottom of the club. That did wonders to keep me from hitting fades.
I also found that putting the head in N instead of D config helped me draw the ball better (no idea why, maybe loft?)

I tried the lead tape but still found a fade in them. Working with the tape, I think I found the perfect spot. I ran a 3" piece of tape right down the center, results no more fade. Played a round with them the other day, perfect, no fade what so ever. Thanks for the tip.

I tried the lead tape but still found a fade in them. Working with the tape, I think I found the perfect spot. I ran a 3" piece of tape right down the center, results no more fade. Played a round with them the other day, perfect, no fade what so ever. Thanks for the tip.

This is really interesting to me. Can anybody that has done this share why the tape on the toe side would help a fade in this scenario. Offset and onset are designed for a reason, just as draw and fade weighting. But I am struggling to figure out how more weight towards the toe would do what is being said. Im sure I am missing something.

This is really interesting to me. Can anybody that has done this share why the tape on the toe side would help a fade in this scenario. Offset and onset are designed for a reason, just as draw and fade weighting. But I am struggling to figure out how more weight towards the toe would do what is being said. Im sure I am missing something.

Definitely interested in this as well. I had the same results doing the same with my xr16.

I always thought to get more draw, you put tape towards the heel so the face would close, but when the toe was mentioned for the perfect spot, I thought I would try it out and see. It just didn't work out for me by putting tape on the under toe side of the club. The tape I put-on was 3" long and about 3/4" wide. Unless this was your basic placebo/honeymoon effect running the strip down the middle really helped me. I'll find out tomorrow and see if it's still working. BTW, the adjustment on the driver is set to neutral 10.5*.

Definitely a lot of forgiveness in the Fly-Z. Should be partly b/c of the speed channel.
I've seen some deals here and there lately on the Fly-Zs too.

Its possible that the extra head weight in general just feels better for Spivey. Just thinking out loud.
Where he put it *should* promote a fade, all things being equal.

I picked up a used one to possibly replace my Amp Cell. Yikes, couldn't find the center of the face if my life depended on it. I was playing it at full length, 45.5 I think, so that may be part of the problem. My Amp I cut down to 44 and have been grooving it pretty well as of late. I cut the Z to 44 as well so fingers crossed. I cut from the grip end and couldn't tell a difference in swing weight but I have far better contact.

Last edited:
Currently gaming a Fly Z+, but I have a regular Fly Z head getting some hot melt right now and am looking forward to getting it back in play. The + is an awesome driver, but I am thinking the regular may suit me better as I really am having to loft up the +. In any case, I have seen some deals on the Fly Z lately, GREAT driver for the money, better distance for me than anything I have tried in the last year or two.

Took the Fly Z out today and hit some of the longest drives I have hit in recent years, in the 280+ range which is probably about all I have but was hitting shorter irons in to greens today which was nice. Found it easy to work the ball, too, great performing club.

Not sure if I mentioned this before....
I took the FlyZ to Golfsmith to possibly trade in for the F6 or LTD.
Nope. I hit the FlyZ longer and straighter than both other choices in the stock shaft.
I walked out with the club I walked in with!

I finally hit mine with the cut down shaft. Meh, the Amp I still hit better with. Distance was the same, in the 200-210 range with good contact. But I have really high flight with it before and after shortening.

Just picked up the Fly Z in verdant green with stock stiff shaft for $149 brand new online. Upgraded from the Amp Cell and I must say it is definitely more forgiving, longer and straighter. The stock shaft also feels better than the Amp Cell stock shaft. I'm pretty happy with this new driver.

Picked up a Fly Z Black for super cheap, going to put in a Red Tie from my Bio Cell+, and see how it works.

forgot how much I love this driver. Gamed it today for the first time since my first round or 2. Average was mid 230's thanks to a shot that I hit way behind and pushed it out there 140 and another one where I hit a tree at 180. 2 best drives of the day were 261 and 253. I just have so much confidence looking down at this head and it feels good.

I recently picked up one of these. It was on my "long term ponder" list and I saw one worth taking a flier on. I've had a couple of range sessions and really like it. It produces more carry than my current gamer and seems more forgiving. I'll play a couple of rounds soon, so GPS and FWs will tell the tale.

Still loving mine... will take it out this week for the first time with an Aldila Tour Blue... so far from some range time it feels like a great pairing... will see but it is one of my favorite drivers in a long time.

I know I am a bit late to the party, but a friend lent me his stock stiff Fly Z driver yesterday cut down to 45 inches and I was extremely impressed. Even with my horrible driver swing, this club refused to produce OB shots. It is a definite fairway finder. Great feeling at impact even when it is not a clean strike.

It's a really good all around driver. I've hit the F6 a few times wanting it to perform better, but it doesn't for my swing. Cobra did a great job with the regular FlyZ.

Fly z is an awesome driver. It is honestly the driver that got me hooked on golfing again. Still one of my favorite clubs.

Back