Strokes needed to beat a PGA Pro?

Wow, there is a ton of variables here. I've had some super low rounds this year, so if we are going best game to best game???? I'm thinking 6, but that could go up substantially if it a really tough course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

From the tips I'd need at least 3 strokes per hole.

Way to many...but it would be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could not do it, the first forced carry that was over 210 would be impossible for me to clear, so even with 1000 strokes I would be toast. That's why I play senior tee's, it's about having fun.

Depends on the course. On my public course with mediocre course conditions and manageable "tips", I think I could hang with only getting 10 shots. On one of their much longer courses, I would probably require about 25.

Last edited:
I used to play with Pat Sheehan a few times a week. Most of the time we partnered up against another duo but we did go head to head a few times. Based on those meetings I would say I would need 4 a side from your run of mill pro. Against the top guys, I'll take 6 a side.

I'm going with 30

on the courses these guys play, from the tips, I cant clear the forced carries, so he could give me 100 shots and still win. it would be a long day

From the tips? I'd guess 36. Probably still get smoked.
If the greens are PGA speed? 54. And about the same chances of getting smoked.

I can't count that high.

At least 7 a side, maybe more.

A least 25 strokes. Even then I'll probably lose.

Against the top tier guys 5 a side I think if not 6. Those guys are so good so that still might not be enough.

At my handicap level, a lot.....and even then it might not be enough

Strokes needed to beat a PGA Pro?

Match play? Well, I'd have to think they are close to birdie every hole, and I'd most likely be bogey golfing...so somewhere around 30. But it would depend on the course. Some of the courses on tour I might not clear a good amount of the forced carries, but some of the shorter courses I would fair better.

From the tips, 40+

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I just played a nice local links style course (7044 yards 73.4/133 rating).
I was told Dustin Johnson played it and shot a 62 and only pulled driver 3 times all day.

At 'my' (social membership only) Country Club, a harder course (74.9/141 rating and 7000 yards) Dustin Johnson played it with Gretzky and shot a 66.

Jason Gore played it, and if I'm not mistaken, shot a 76.

My handicap is a 8.2 right now, and I'd probably need at least 30 strokes if I played my best golf, and more likely 40.

well......technically what we would get is whatever our and their handicap dictates we would get. That would make things even or at least suppose to and also assuming we then play our better golf that day while they dont.

I guess 1.5 to 2 strokes per hole. They make birdies like they're brushing their teeth while I'm making them like a supermodel asked me out on a date.

HA awesome question. I think probably 15-20 on an average day for both of us.

At least 2 per hole.
That's my thought. I'm playing out of my mind if I'm +18 for the round. They're playing out of their mind if they're -18.

And that's if they let me tee off from the whites. From the tips, it would be silly to even try to figure it out.

Situation: Matchplay
Tees: Playing from the tips
Opponent: Any PGA Tour player
Question: How many strokes would you need to win the match?
If it was on my home course I think I'd have a chance with 6 shots a side because they would hate our greens - they don't roll true half the time and are inconsistent from hole to hole. Will be thinking they should shoot 60 easily and will get frustrated with a pedestrian 64 or 65 ... :curl-lip:

On a neutral course, I would have to go with 1 stroke per hole.

From the tips at a PGA course, I would need at least 36.

At least 30, probably 40

Back