My condolences to you and your family, you'll be in my thoughts.

My thoughts are also with you. My dad is my golfing buddy, and reading this with tears in my eyes gave me a new level of thankfulness. I hope that as you move forward with time that you will bring the same amount of joy on the golf course for your kids

That was truly an amazing read. My thoughts are with you Mike, thank you for sharing this with us.

Hell of a post and tribute. Sorry for your loss. He was taken too soon, but sounds like a he had an incredible life and you all had many, many great moments on the course. My Dad and I share a similar love of the game (he's the same age as your father so this really hit home). This is a great reminder to be thankful and cherish the moments we have together.

Sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful essay, and really strikes home to me as a father and a son.

Sorry for your loss, that was a touching tribute. Wish I could have played with you guys when I was in that area.

I'm sorry for you loss. Let those memories come to you on each opening drive of your future rounds, cherish those moments as you know he's there with you. My Dad is a few years older than yours, and I wish I could have some of those memories with my Dad that you do with yours. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this time.

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. So sorry about your loss.

My dad is my main playing partner, and his dad died at an early age from a heart attack, so this rings true and concerning for me in several ways. We both take it too seriously at times, so this is an awesome reminder to just have fun and make great memories together and to stop worrying about the score.

Is there dust in here or is it just me?

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great tribute to your father, and it would appear that he had reason to be a very proud father.

So sorry for your loss.

Tremendous tribute, and so glad you got to play so much with him. You know that was special for him. My dad tried to get me to play when I was young, but I played so many other sports I never had time - plus golf wasn't cool then - dumba$$ me! By the time I started playing in my mid 30's, my dad had retired, money was tight,and started with his COPD he got from Sparrows Pt, We still talk about sports, golf is big, but I wish I would have played more with him when I was young. You and your dad did it the right way - you'll cherish all those memories.

Godspeed Big Irish Sr.

Great tribute Mike. Thank you for sharing that with us, I'm sure it was hard but it reminds us just how much to need to enjoy every moment of our life. I'm so sorry for your loss. Having been your teammate, I know that he was proud of you. You are a great person to be around and a fantastic golf partner. I know you'll continue to love the game and hopefully it will bring you some peace. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Wow.
That is an incredible story.
Your dad sounds like an amazing man.
Im sorry for your loss.
His death aside, that was a great story about your bond with your dad.

Many blessings to you and your family.

Thank you for sharing your story - sounds like an incredible person and you have alot of great memories.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Sorry for your loss. He sounds like an amazing man!

I can't believe I had missed this thread. That was really, really well written. I am very sorry for your loss.

Neither my dad nor myself were/are anywhere near as good of golfers as your dad and you are, but I can relate very strongly. My father and I are Puerto Rican, first of all, although we still live on the island. My father passed at the age of 67 three days before yours. He was my regular playing partner until he found out he had liver cancer and was operated on the 15th of February. Yesterday the church my family attends had its first ever tournament and my dad and I had been helping to coordinate it prior to his illness. This was the first day in a month since his passing that was a true struggle. I knew he would have enjoyed it immensely. Just prior to his operation he told me that he probably would not be able to play but that he would ride the cart with me so that he could still be a part of it. There will be good days and not so good days...

Try and cherish your memories with your dad, from both on the course and off. Also, try and look for any life lessons he may have passed on during your rounds with him. My dad taught me to not take golf so seriously. That has actually helped on the few occasions I have been on the course since his passing. If there is an obvious one from your story it is to not prioritize golf over your family's needs, and it sure looks like you are aware of that one.

I'm hoping that you can move on from this recent struggle on the course. Remember, at the end of the day it is a hobby for us, meant to be enjoyed. Look at all the positive memories it has already given you in your life. I am sure there are many more waiting.

Best of luck and God bless.

Back