Your "It's Good" / Gimmie Length

CobraX51

F-ck Yeah Baby!
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright so today was my 2nd time playing in a skins game about 45 minutes from where I live. First time I was given a quota of 20 and scored 18 on the back 9 with an eagle worth 8 points and birdie worth 4 points and both were skins after we did the scores in the clubhouse. It was generous that day with who I was with and all.

Today I went back out there and was given a quota of 23. Scored 16 points on the back with 2 birdies, 1 of them a skin. I play with a friend at this place, and he hit 4/5 fairways with the Redacted driver when he used it today by the way haha.

But on hole 2 I got a harsh double bogey worth 0 points. 145 pin on a Par 3 I went left of the green with 9iron. Chipped up well and left myself a decent look at par and 2 points. I hit the putt and took 2 steps towards the hole seeing it in, and it takes a horrible lip out and rolls down the hill like 3 feet away and nobody says anything until my friend chimed in and said "We putt everything out here." I missed the 3 foot bogey for a point and walked off with 0.

This entire year I've pretty much was given and gave putts that reached the bottom of the putter grip, even at the Grandaddy all ZooCrew members I played with conceded putts at 3-5 foot distances.

What is the length of putt you tell your buddy or playing partner to pick up?

Couple feet usually.

Mostly the cutoff is wherever I would not want to be given one.

At The Hideaway I would say I was fair. Probably 5 foot max, but fair based on what I was given. I don't play much competitive golf so I don't have a lot to go on really, beyond the THP events I attended this year.

If it’s a competitive round no more than 3 feet unless it’s for for a double or worse.

If it’s a competitive round no more than 3 feet unless it’s for for a double or worse.
I agree completely with this

Depends on the person :alien:

Also depends on the situation I am pretty generous most of the time but if it is to close a match out or to push the match etc you are putting it no matter where the ball is

It really depends on who I’m playing with and how they are playing. If a guy is frustrated I’ve given 6-7 footers if a guy is playing well I find they usually want to put everything in the cup and have let them putt out 2 footers.

Depends on how they are putting and what they are giving me. Generally anything under 3 feet, but there is 2 holes on my home course that putts are never given on those greens.

Depends on person, situation and how competitive the round is as well as green conditions and type of putt. 3' is what I would consider getting generous. In most circumstance about 2'

2' unless it's a competitive round or event. Then....you better be nice the entire round

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Depends on where my ball is, where the match is, what our pace is and what kind of music they’re playing. :alien:

When playing a casual round with nothing on the line, I'll give 3 footers all day. In a group money game (think 20-24 guys) everything gets putted out. It's always situational.

3’ and in

1' is automatic. 2' is good. 3' is "what are you going for?"

My league putts everything out after having nothing but issues with gimmes in it's first season. I think this is the best method.

Casual round it depends on my mood I guess. With friends I'd say 3 ft. To me any distance is good if it's your 3rd putt or for double bogey.

If I'm giving a pop on a hole I'm not conceding anything, even 6 inches.

If there's something on the line I tend to get a little stingy. THP Events are a struggle sometimes since they are a combo of casual/tourny so it's pretty situational.

Some guys got REALLY liberal when giving putts to guys on their own team this past year in our weekly money game. To make it fair for everyone, we got permission from the course to mark a Sharpie line on all the flag sticks at 30" & now we all use that as a measurement for gimmees.

If it's for par or better, under 2ft is good without question. If it's for bogey or worse, if you want it, it's good by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's about 2 feet with the guys I play.

I’m pretty generous at giving putts in casual rounds. Competitive ones I usually let the situation dictate a gimme (length, score, etc).

And when it comes to myself, I approach each green with the mentality that every putt has to be holed, because I feel like whenever I see a player (of any ability) not ‘get’ a putt they think they should, they seem to focus more on that than the putt at hand and miss it.

I can’t control if and when I am given a putt, but I can control my preparation of holing out every green (and sprinting to picking up a putt when given).

Normally anything inside of 2' is given at our club in our group. In matches and tournaments there are no gimmies. Everything has to be putted out. Be surprised how many 3 footers get missed when it means something.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Even in a casual game, I prefer not to give or take anything. If I’m playing with guys who I can tell give themselves gimmes, I will ask them if it’s good for them, just to save them a walk if I’m at or nearer the pin, out of consideration.

If I’m playing alone and it’s for bogey or worse, AND it’s under a foot, I may just pick a ball up, mostly out of frustration. Anything over that and I still putt out. It’s not a morality thing, I just think it’s still a skill worth having and if you never hit those 2-3 footers, when it counts you may not be confident in making them and miss one every now and then.

My league putts everything out after having nothing but issues with gimmes in it's first season. I think this is the best method.
So on 18 I spoke with the other guy in our foursome and said “Man I’m glad I learned that on hole 2 it was putt everything.” With a chuckle.

He said it used to be friendly but eventually it got TOO friendly, because you play with different people each Saturday in this skins game, and a few people would say “Well last week this was good.” Etc etc. so after other players found this out they said we putt everything out.

I guess I just would’ve appreciated being told that prior to the round but now I know haha.

It's about 2 feet with the guys I play.

Concur. Playing on quick and sometimes tricky greens and those 3 footers are far from a given.

just depends. casual round that has already gotten away from me, 2-4 feet. if something is on the line or i’m having a great round and might shoot a number, a foot to 18 inches.

if you’re asking when i give putts to playing partners, 4’ and in is usually good for me.

Back