I can't feel my driver head

robrandalgz

2023 Budget Championship #CanyonCowboys
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know if I'm the only one that struggles with this or not but I have a really hard time feeling where the face of my driver is during my swing. I never had this problem before with older drivers. The heads on modern day drivers are so light and so freaking huge that I have a hard time feeling the club head. I don't have this problem with irons or wedges and I can usually get a feel for whether my face is open or closed at impact with those clubs. I can't predict where, literally ANY driver shot is going to go. I know that it's due to bad technique and finding the correct swing path and sequence is key to figuring this club out but does anyone have any drills or advice as to squaring a club face that you can't feel at impact? Thanks in advance.

You could also benefit from a fitting to get a swing weight that feels better.

You could also benefit from a fitting to get a swing weight that feels better.

I'm think that swing weight has quite a bit to do with it. The driver I used to have was a TaylorMade R7 Quad. I never had any trouble "feeling the clubhead" with that club. I was never a great driver of the ball but I could pull driver on holes that it was justified and put a ball, at least, in play. I convinced myself I needed one of those really cool white driver heads and ended up buying a TaylorMade Burner 2.0. My driver game has been in the sh***er ever since. In my infinite wisdom, I gave away the R7 before the Burner even showed up at my door so going back is not an option (unless I want to buy another one and if I'm buying another driver I don't want to buy one with technology that is 10+ years old).

A fitting and lessons are certainly in order but I was just wondering if others experienced the same problems and any drills or swing thoughts they might have had to help get through it. Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

I’m curious why is it important for you to feel the Club head?

Buy a roll of lead tape and head to the range.

I’m curious why is it important for you to feel the Club head?

Probably because I have a fundamentally flawed golf swing and feel is all I've got, to be honest, Freddie. I'm certain that my hands play way too much of a role in my swing which results in way too much inconsistency but whenever I try to "take my hands out of the swing" I end up with a push or a slice. I went to the range the other day and I was so out of whack with my driver that I was literally pushing or slicing the ball 50 yards + off line. I don't have a camera set up to film my swing right now and dragging my wife out there to film it for me is like pulling teeth. I'll see if I can get someone at the course to film it for me and I guess I can start from there.

I don't seem to have the same problems with my irons (though I could certainly be more consistent). When I play rounds where I move up a set of tees and tee off with my 4 iron I can pretty consistently break 100 and flirt with breaking 90. ANY round that I use a driver I can automatically add 9+ strokes to my round due to OB, lost balls, or hazards.

Probably because I have a fundamentally flawed golf swing and feel is all I've got, to be honest, Freddie. I'm certain that my hands play way too much of a role in my swing which results in way too much inconsistency but whenever I try to "take my hands out of the swing" I end up with a push or a slice. I went to the range the other day and I was so out of whack with my driver that I was literally pushing or slicing the ball 50 yards + off line. I don't have a camera set up to film my swing right now and dragging my wife out there to film it for me is like pulling teeth. I'll see if I can get someone at the course to film it for me and I guess I can start from there.

I don't seem to have the same problems with my irons (though I could certainly be more consistent). When I play rounds where I move up a set of tees and tee off with my 4 iron I can pretty consistently break 100 and flirt with breaking 90. ANY round that I use a driver I can automatically add 9+ strokes to my round due to OB, lost balls, or hazards.

I honestly think at this stage of your golf game, TRYING to locate the club head in your swing is a huge mistake. Swing path, weight transfer, alignment and posture are way more important.

I honestly think at this stage of your golf game, TRYING to locate the club head in your swing is a huge mistake. Swing path, weight transfer, alignment and posture are way more important.

Thanks Freddie. I'm going to see if I can get a video of my swing and maybe you can show me where I'm going wrong.

Take a tip from Tom Watson and make a few practice swings with the club reversed: grip the shaft tip and "swing the grip". Flip it back around and you will, definitely, feel the weight of the head.

That Taylormade R7 quad was a great driver- get it out again and use it.

I had an R7 425 and swore it was the best made, no matter what followed, until i hit an SLDR, i left TM altogether in the last year. irons Driver and all. I now swing a G Series Tour model PING.

Back