What 818 AP1 hybrid replace 3 and 4 irons?

crazygolfnut

Let's have fun out there!
Reaction score
Handicap
With the way companies have changed degree loft, it makes it a little difficult to figure out what hybrids are correct replacements for your irons.

I went to a fitting in the fall and purchased a set of 718AP1 irons (6-W48). I also was fitted for an 818 H1 hybrid to be a 5 iron replacement. We ran out of time so I did not have time to ask about recommendations for the rest of the bag.

My question is, what would be the next hybrid that would match up as a replacement for a 4 iron or a 3 iron?

Fitted for
· 718 AP1 (6 - W48)

· 818 H1 (25.0 degree)
SureFit Hosel Setting: D-4 (set at 26 degree)
SureFit CG Setting: Neutral
SureFit CG Weight Setting: Use Default
Length: +0.5"​

Would this be a correct assumption?
  • 21 degree = 3 iron
  • 23 degree = 4 iron
  • 25 degree = 5 iron
  • 27 degree = 6 iron

Any all all thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I'll be able to give you my feedback when it gets warmer out. I'm in the same basic boat.

I have 718 6i-48* as well and purchased at end of last season mint condition 816 H1 hybrids in: 25*, 23*, and 19*. My plan is to use the 25* lofted up to 27* to replace the 5 iron, 23* to replace the 4 iron, and 19* to replace the 3 iron. I will plan to adjust lofts to achieve desired gapping.

I am a moderate to slow swing speed player with 82 MPH 7 iron at my Titleist Thursday fitting via Trackman. I expect I need 4* hybrid gaps to see meaningful distance gaps. 27* to 25* will not get someone like me 10 yards gap.

If you swing faster than I do maybe your optimal gaps between hybrids are different.

What are you seeing in your G30 4 and 5 hybrids?

Dave

That side of the bag does take some effort getting gapping where you want. FWIW I found what is best for me is a 3wood around 16 degrees, then a 19 hybrid followed by a 23 hybrid and then my 5 iron. My yardage targets are aprox. :
5i - 180 to 185
23 hybrid - 195
19 hybrid - 205 to 210
3 wood - 225

With the way companies have changed degree loft, it makes it a little difficult to figure out what hybrids are correct replacements for your irons.

I went to a fitting in the fall and purchased a set of 718AP1 irons (6-W48). I also was fitted for an 818 H1 hybrid to be a 5 iron replacement. We ran out of time so I did not have time to ask about recommendations for the rest of the bag.

My question is, what would be the next hybrid that would match up as a replacement for a 4 iron or a 3 iron?

Fitted for
· 718 AP1 (6 - W48)

· 818 H1 (25.0 degree)

• 21 degree = 3 iron
  • 23 degree = 4 iron
  • 25 degree = 5 iron
  • 27 degree = 6 iron

Your assumption would a good general one. From a distance perspective it could vary depending on what gap you need to fill. For me the 21* was a good 3i replacement in the set up I payed this year. With my current setup I may need to adjust that a little with my current setup.

edit: they also have a 17 and 19* hybrid

Titleist offers hybrids in those increments to allow you to fine tune your gaps. With the amount of adjustibility (loft up/down), along with custom length, your best bet would be to ask your fitter.

Fitted for
· 718 AP1 (6 - W48)

· 818 H1 (25.0 degree)

• 21 degree = 3 iron
  • 23 degree = 4 iron
  • 25 degree = 5 iron
  • 27 degree = 6 iron

I am playing the 818 H1s and I am finding greats success with them. I have been playing the 19, set at 18, and the 21, set at 21. I just barely received a 25, with I probably will not be able to dial in until spring, but at least on the GC Quad monitor, it looks like it will gap if left at 25. So, here would be my distances through that part of the bag (but I play at a higher altitude than most):

6 iron - 175
818H1 at 25 degrees - 190
818H1 at 21 degrees - 210
818H1 at 18 degrees - 220

There is a little more gap between the 21 and 25 degree than what some would want, but the two courses I play the most have some diabolical par 3s that play in the 210 to 225 range and I need to cover those distances with confidence, or I am always fighting to save par.

If I were you, I would go from the 25 to the 21, because you can adjust the 21 degree up 2 degrees or down 1 and likely find the right gap. If you go 23, I think your may find that there is not sufficient gapping.

Last edited:
I know that I will pick up the 25 and then maybe the 21. Still thinking.

Your assumption would a good general one. From a distance perspective it could vary depending on what gap you need to fill. For me the 21* was a good 3i replacement in the set up I payed this year. With my current setup I may need to adjust that a little with my current setup.

edit: they also have a 17 and 19* hybrid

I agree with this response. Generally, your assumption is spot on. If you are concerned I’d go back in and get fitted because the most important thing is how you actually hit them. Without testing you won’t know your real gaps.

I'd suggest that once your weather breaks going to a Titleist Thursday, assuming they continue with them.

For me they recommended a 23 and 19 to replace a 3 and 4 iron. But, that also could be because I only bag one FW.

It's really about matching the gaps in distances, but that's a function of launch conditions. Nice thing is that with their models having 2 degree gaps and adjustable they probably have the best shot of anyone in getting it right.

Back