Michael Breed leaving Golfchannel?

parker mclachlin put foley on blast for screwing up his game and ruining his chances of being successful on tour.

then you have the correlative (though imho not causative) back issues that a few of his players have had.

then you have guys like chamblee and azinger making fun of foley (not by name, but it's obvious who they're talking about) all throughout zinger's "golf channel academy" episode.

i'm honestly not sure why he is considered polarizing. i don't see how someone can look at swings like mahan, o'hair and justin rose and not think they are things of beauty. i love what he has to say about the golf swing, and if i could take lessons from any single teacher in the world it would be him.

Just a note, O'Hair left Foley a while back and has made some major changes.
You could make the argument that outside of Rose, everybody that has gone to him at that level has dropped off. Im not making it, but it could be made.

I like Breed’s energy and how he’d breakdown concepts.

Not a Foley fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a fan of either. Breed had “too much” energy for me.

I turned on this morning on my drive to work like I normally do and it sounded like he had a guest host the 2nd day of the show. I’ll see how his radio show is but I sort of miss Fairways of Life at 8:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow I missed this yesterday. I didn't watch the Golf Fix that much but Breed explained things in a way that is easy to understand. From what little I know of Foley I can't see him doing the same. Yes Breed was a little over the top haha with his energy but seems like going from one extreme to the other.

Foley's interesting. I read a lot of his stuff and a lot of Bennet and Plummer as well. If there was one thing I learned from Foley that will make anyone a better player is that "Ulnar deviation with centripetal force using lateral anterior flexation of the posterior pronated centered extension results in bilateral supination of the thoracic membrane."

I'll have to add that to my list of 310 other swing thoughts I choose from.

Just a note, O'Hair left Foley a while back and has made some major changes.
You could make the argument that outside of Rose, everybody that has gone to him at that level has dropped off. Im not making it, but it could be made.

o'hair's swing was gorgeous with foley. it looks great now too.

that would be pretty unfair tbh. if that's the route one wants to go, then a player's results immediately before leaving a coach should always get pinned on that coach. it's extremely rare that somebody would change coaches after a storybook year. so the coach had nothing to do with a player's success, but everything to do with his failures? i just don't get that logic. not saying it's your logic, just commenting on your hypothetical argument.

Wow I missed this yesterday. I didn't watch the Golf Fix that much but Breed explained things in a way that is easy to understand. From what little I know of Foley I can't see him doing the same. Yes Breed was a little over the top haha with his energy but seems like going from one extreme to the other.

He seems amped up, but you meet him in person and he’s very mild in comparison to what you got on tv. I think he just tried to get as much in as he could in such a limited timeframe.

parker mclachlin put foley on blast for screwing up his game and ruining his chances of being successful on tour.

then you have the correlative (though imho not causative) back issues that a few of his players have had.

then you have guys like chamblee and azinger making fun of foley (not by name, but it's obvious who they're talking about) all throughout zinger's "golf channel academy" episode.

i'm honestly not sure why he is considered polarizing. i don't see how someone can look at swings like mahan, o'hair and justin rose and not think they are things of beauty. i love what he has to say about the golf swing, and if i could take lessons from any single teacher in the world it would be him.

So at what point does the ownership of poor golf fall on the player? It’s easy to point the finger at Foley, or any other swing coach. But it can’t rest on their shoulders. The golf has to take ownership. If your paying for time with a coach and not getting what you need then that’s in you. It takes open communication to get to an end goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I never cared for all the Breed contraption drills- "just grab a garbage can lid, three towels and some fishing line.." ugh, no thanks.

But he does seem like a good guy and I always enjoyed his show, so I'm sad to see him go.

Tour radio? not for me. Foley? sure, why not.

Not a big fan of Breed, not much of an opinion on Foley (will hold judgment until I see his show), I like Martin and Blair

So at what point does the ownership of poor golf fall on the player? It’s easy to point the finger at Foley, or any other swing coach. But it can’t rest on their shoulders. The golf has to take ownership. If your paying for time with a coach and not getting what you need then that’s in you. It takes open communication to get to an end goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To piggyback on this thought, I remember when that clown Ray Romano went on Haney’s show to try and break 80. What happened? He didn’t do the work, argued half the time, and made no improvement.

Barkley kinda did, but also halfassed it.

Limbaugh did the work, put in the time, and listened. He got better.

o'hair's swing was gorgeous with foley. it looks great now too.

that would be pretty unfair tbh. if that's the route one wants to go, then a player's results immediately before leaving a coach should always get pinned on that coach. it's extremely rare that somebody would change coaches after a storybook year. so the coach had nothing to do with a player's success, but everything to do with his failures? i just don't get that logic. not saying it's your logic, just commenting on your hypothetical argument.

Its hypothetical, but using that logic, the coach should make easy strides to success, right? Since as you pointed out a player is not going to change after a storybook year, the new coach should fix them up good : )

My point was that if its just analyzing the players in the stable, half left the guy and one of which was really vocal. For others though, its a personality thing and I think that holds some merit.

Its hypothetical, but using that logic, the coach should make easy strides to success, right? Since as you pointed out a player is not going to change after a storybook year, the new coach should fix them up good : )

My point was that if its just analyzing the players in the stable, half left the guy and one of which was really vocal. For others though, its a personality thing and I think that holds some merit.

sorry i'm dense, i don't follow that logic. the new coach has his own ideas and tweaks. sometimes an overhaul. that takes time.

i guess the same can - but never is - said about a lot of other coaches. how many have left ledbetter, mclane, smith, como, stockton, harmon, etc?

maybe it's a stretch, but when a guy switches putters because he's in a funk does that mean the old putter sucks?

i guess i just feel that these guys sometimes need a new message, and a new look to try to find a spark.

i'll agree with you about the personality. there's something in foley's personality that seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

sorry i'm dense, i don't follow that logic. the new coach has his own ideas and tweaks. sometimes an overhaul. that takes time.

i guess the same can - but never is - said about a lot of other coaches. how many have left ledbetter, mclane, smith, como, stockton, harmon, etc?

maybe it's a stretch, but when a guy switches putters because he's in a funk does that mean the old putter sucks?

i guess i just feel that these guys sometimes need a new message, and a new look to try to find a spark.

i'll agree with you about the personality. there's something in foley's personality that seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Somewhat related, I was talking with an instructor who taught someone making a big jump on the Champions. Saying he'll probably fire me. We have a 3 yr plan, we've reached all of our goals, and because he makes one bad swing on one hole that screws his chances at the Championship , says he can't rely on his swing (or something to that effect). We reached all our goals- and that particular goal was next year.

Don't know what eventually happened with that relationship. But sometimes players look outside for blame instead of saying, "It's me, I made a crap swing. Now was it mental or physical?"

Changing coaches is so much an individual thing filled with a player's issues, that the coach-player relationship sometimes seems to lack any rationality as to its ups and downs. Sometimes, the player is filled with emotions instead of analytical reasoning.

I dont disagree with it, its why it was a hypothetical.
I do believe the merit in the personality part though...But that is first hand knowledge and I dont share that stuff.
Honestly though, can you trust someone that buttons all of the way up and wears a fanny pack? :D

I do believe the merit in the personality part though...But that is first hand knowledge and I dont share that stuff.
Honestly though, can you trust someone that buttons all of the way up and wears a fanny pack? :D

Foley is a different type of dude, from the way he wears his clothes to the thick, black frames of his glasses, to his FoleyTechnoSpeak.

If there was one thing I learned from Foley that will make anyone a better player is that "Ulnar deviation with centripetal force using lateral anterior flexation of the posterior pronated centered extension results in bilateral supination of the thoracic membrane."

Thanks for this, Kee; as a "feel" player, this really spoke to me.

i would totally carry a purse. i hate having stuff in my pockets. but no one, and i mean NO ONE, should EVER wear a fanny pack.

I never had an issue with the information that he gave, but it was always very hard for me to watch anything with Breed on it because of his voice.

I think if I worked with him I would probably quit my job and seek employment elsewhere, but never have the guts to say that out loud to anyone for fear of hurting the feelings of such a seemingly nice guy.

Thanks for this, Kee; as a "feel" player, this really spoke to me.

What's funny is how easy all that just came out of my mouth when making fun of Foley. To be honest though, studying Foley and his thoughts on delivery is what got me over the last hump of the golf swing. I moved from double digits and into the singles. My THP hall of fame badge was earned using Foley's techniques.

I still am 80% foley in my thought process but try to get to delivery with an easier (for me) biomechanical sequence. I've learned a lot over the last three years bouncing from swing to swing and I'm glad I've finally found one that is my own. Just need to trust it so that when we finally get to play I can win =)

I have never cared very much for Breed. To me he reminds me of a chihuahua on Adderall.

I really wish the golf channel would take Breed back. His new morning PGA tour radio show on XM has totally ruined my morning commute.

As I see it, losing Breed is no big loss. Just as many people seemed to be turned off by his approach as did those who were fans of it and I for one look forward to a less fast-paced and less all over the place approach.

Foley is pretty excited about this opportunity and looks forward to helping some folks with their swings.

Foley is pretty excited about this opportunity and looks forward to helping some folks with their swings.
Does Foley get a bad rap for supposedly causing injury to his players with his swing principles or is there some truth in it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back