Talk to me about your (w)edges

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Leading edge of wedges, that is.

I've never been one to notice rounded vs. straight leading edges on wedges. I do, however, notice and want lots of bounce on my wedges.

Is a straight leading edge preferable with low bounce, and vice versa?

I've just never put much thought into the leading edge and want to learn more about why people prefer one vs. the other.

I’ve never paid a lot of attention TBH. I care more about cutting through the turf, so I’d assume straight, but I’ve got no idea if that holds true. I’ll look at my current and last wedge sets tonight and see if there’s a difference.

As someone who lives off the short game, to me at least, a straight edge is definitely preferable to a low bounce. By low bounce I mean in the 10* and under. Twenty yards and in I prefer a low bounce anything outside of that will be a higher bounce.

i will say, i used to think i liked a straight leading edge on my lob wedges but the MD Forged definitely changed that. I now prefer a rounded edge just because it helps me visualize my shot better.

i will say, i used to think i liked a straight leading edge on my lob wedges but the MD Forged definitely changed that. I now prefer a rounded edge just because it helps me visualize my shot better.

i think my current wedges have straight edges. ...and it kinda scares me that i'm gonna chunk the crap out of them. i'm wondering if that's contributing to my tendency to live on the bottom grooves of my wedges. am i crazy to think that rounded edges would dig less, and maybe even be preferred in grainier greenside turf?

i think my current wedges have straight edges. ...and it kinda scares me that i'm gonna chunk the crap out of them. i'm wondering if that's contributing to my tendency to live on the bottom grooves of my wedges. am i crazy to think that rounded edges would dig less, and maybe even be preferred in grainier greenside turf?

definitely not. I'm beginning to learn that bounce is my friend and while it's not always the easiest to take your medicine and play the safe shot, playing a wedge with enough bounce and loft makes it so that you get to play your next shot from where you intended to rather than roll the dice on the higher percentage risk shot and come up shot with another tough decision to make. For me the straighter leading edge digs regardless of how much bounce is on the wedge.

Dangit Chris. Now I'll actually have to look at the leading edge of my wedges. I have no clue if they're straight or rounded.

Dangit Chris. Now I'll actually have to look at the leading edge of my wedges. I have no clue if they're straight or rounded.

i aim to please.

i just feel like some people are super opinionated about the leading edge, and i'm genuinely curious about why.

i aim to please.

i just feel like some people are super opinionated about the leading edge, and i'm genuinely curious about why.

You add a great deal to the forum with the questions you ask and the thought you put into things.

I am wondering which of the major equipment manufacturers’ wedge offerings are straight. I know the M.D. forged are straight and I had a great deal of success with those last year, but I cannot think in my mind of any others.

definitely not. I'm beginning to learn that bounce is my friend and while it's not always the easiest to take your medicine and play the safe shot, playing a wedge with enough bounce and loft makes it so that you get to play your next shot from where you intended to rather than roll the dice on the higher percentage risk shot and come up shot with another tough decision to make. For me the straighter leading edge digs regardless of how much bounce is on the wedge.

That is interesting. What is it about your swing that you think causes a straight leading edge to dig, or is it a perception turns into reality thing. I played the Mack Daddy forged most of last year and had a great deal of success. I have a set of the new S 18 Mizuno wedges that I have used for a couple of rounds, mostly because they are another forged offering and they are gorgeous in my view. Ironically, I feel like I am not going to make as good of contact with touch shots, because I see the rounded edge and it feels like there is less room for error. I am pretty much shut down until spring now, especially to work on short game shots, but it will be interesting to see if I can overcome the look this spring when I get to practice.

Straight edgeish.....dont think any are completely straight unless you grind it that way

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure you can find a modern wedge with a straight edge. Living in Florida means I play mid to low bounce.

I love a straight(ish) leading edge and I usually like wedges with a lower bounce than standard. My TK15s have a really nice combination of straight(ish) leading edge on a small head.
For some reason I find it really tough to align a rounded face wedge on a square face shot, and by the same token even when the wedge is open a round leading edge just looks a little funny to me. It's not life or death stuff, just preference.

Low bounce and square grooves for me.

I’m not sure you can find a modern wedge with a straight edge. Living in Florida means I play mid to low bounce.

I payed the Callaway MD2 Tour Grind for a season and that looked pretty strait, hard to remember though, was a bit ago.

I payed the Callaway MD2 Tour Grind for a season and that looked pretty strait, hard to remember though, was a bit ago.
I play them and they are pretty straight compared to everything else out there IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Straight edge, small heads, and low bounce. Love my Scor's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've never really taken a close look at the leading edge of my Edel wedges, but I do know all of them are higher bounce than other offerings. I've had much more success with them than I've had with lower bounce offerings, but I'm not 100% sure what that's attributed to.

Straight edge, small heads, and low bounce. Love my Scor's.

no other wedge will do, amirite?! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no other wedge will do, amirite?! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For now! Especially because I have backup heads but we'll see what the fitting says

Back