Mark Crossfield or TaylorMade: Who do you side with?

Sadly doesn’t work that way. Club deals go as follows.

You get a certain amount of money per year. That money is spent on apparel, clubs bags, backpacks accessories etc. all must be bought at retail without the PUD% (personal use discount) which can be a big chunk. Callaway gives assistants 40% off. I was quoted a set of Apex MBs for 490.00

Sent from HTX
It was tongue and cheek I'm very familiar with the process

It was tongue and cheek I'm very familiar with the process

Updated my original post because I figured you knew. Thought I’d put it out there for anyone wondering

Sent from HTX

Love me some Crossfield and Shiels and anyplace out there that reviews all of the new equipment. Anyone only getting info from one source or who can’t look at things from all sides needs to take their blinders off.

Agreed. I very often don't agree with a review or a take on something, but I enjoy hearing all perspectives. There are two kinds of people in this world: those who admit their biases and liars.

But most TM staffers don't weigh in on Callaway latest offerings.

But the question then is can you trust what he says about Titleist clubs? Or does being on staff with an OEM preclude you from having fair thoughts on anything? Does getting a free club or free bag make your thoughts on everything irrelevant?

At the end of the day every individual needs to decide if they trust a source or not. Whether that's Crossfield or a THP writer or a Forum member or a marketing campaign. Crossfield has made it tougher for people to trust him by signing with someone, but that doesn't mean he is untrustworthy overnight. Time will tell.

Very well said curtis

I guess I have one question, what is the upside for TaylorMade? Is a Crossfield review really going to make the difference? Is this any different then Callaway not sending gear to MyGolfSpy and then they try to play the victim card?

I have no qualms about companies trying to control their own narrative, they just have to accept the consequences.

I don't think there is one for TM. I think a ton of people have a built in bias against the big bad club manufacturer and their billion dollar budget making new stuff and trying to force us proles to buy it. Now they're shunning a lowly YouTuber who has the temerity to say, "It's not anything different! Everyone else is OK with that, why not you?"

I think the only problem is that this helps Crossfield to keep running with his narrative. Even if he did hit a new club further than his current bag, sponsorship notwithstanding, he's got no upside to saying that club is actually better. He can bust the usual cop that it goes farther because it scrubs some spin off, but on an off day it'll knuckle out of the air, just as he said about the Callaway Sub Zero he was gaming until this year. But he's a lowly YouTube personality trying to keep the bills paid.

That said, I think so much of the subjective elements play into golf, but no one wants to go year after year hearing from the same person that they don't like the sound or feel or look of a given club, especially when they start off not expecting it to go further. I mean, if every driver suddenly went 6 yards further, why send yours to someone who is going to say they've never been fond of the shape of your drivers?

Did anyone notice the guy on course (Dan?) with Rogue driver and fairway clubs in his bag??? It's at the 8:36 mark.

ok I had my say. no more for me. I agree TM or any OEM should have the right to craft their own message and also agree that he seems petty and also agree that they should just send him the gear and also agree it makes no difference what so ever. :banghead:

Did anyone notice the guy on course (Dan?) with Rogue driver and fairway clubs in his bag??? It's at the 8:36 mark.

Club reviews, taking place before the embargo date so those videos can go live, rather than being filmed, when the embargo is lifted. My guess is that driver carries 262 for Mark.

I really don’t care what he gets or doesn’t get. From TM’s perspective I get it. Just because someone has a YouTube channel doesn’t mean everyone should flock to you for a review. The video is also really choppy and he just sounds butt hurt.

e1524a2c273d1b7b0e181359677e6506.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've watched his hissy fit and I don't think it's right on his side...but I don't really agree with TM either.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm on Crossfield's side in this... however I have little sympathy for those cut off from the free gravy train. Oh well, I'll continue to pay for my equipment as I see fit, just as TM is free to send whatever equipment to whoever as they see fit.

Taylor Made wouldn’t send him anything last time round either, and that was while he was a “free agent”. Personally, I think Taylor Made are being idiotic not sending him the latest releases to test when others get sent them. That said, the way MC will latch onto this like a dog with a bone and just absolutely beat it to death also does my head in. Make your point then move on!

#FiberLaunch

Crossfield does nothing but complain about marketing in his reviews so why anyone sends him equipment is beyond me.

But then I might have an axe to grind since he banned me on Twitter and Facebook.
Was MC anywhere near your driveway lately?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Whole thing is storm in a teacup, but I'm slightly more on MC's side than TM if I'm being pushed.

I get why he went staff with an OEM - I mean, who wouldn't? - and at least this way, everyone who watches any of his reviews of any OEM's clubs now know exactly what his baseline is for comparisons. Every reviewer has one, but we don't always know what they are, at least this way its out in the open.

I like the way he does his club reviews on course and with other players for contrast, feedback and differing opinions.

I like that he regularly dismisses >5 yard differences as essentially meaningless and down to landing kicks, swing & strike inconsistencies etc. (we all know that's true, but some people would be saying "wow, 5 extra yards!").

Feels very petty by TM, because whoever tests their clubs is doing so against a background of known baselines.

That being said, he does go on a bit.

But then I might have an axe to grind since he banned me on Twitter and Facebook.

This sentence is really the only thing in this thread that has moved the needle for me.

I think you found the driveway dong culprit

I think it’s petty. If TM clubs perform like they normally do then I don’t know why they’d be afraid to have someone like him review them even if they are signed with another company.

Exactly, this has been going on for a while now with Mark and TM. He has debunked so many 15 yds more claims and I think that's what this is more about. When he signed with Titleist it was the final excuse TM was looking for to quit sending him equipment. Titleist made such a smart move IMO signing Mark.

I don't begrudge Mark his signing with Titleist. If this helps him support his family and he can continue to be unbiased, it's good for him.

His video bashing TM was in poor form in my opinion, he could have gone about it far differently and gotten the same message across. That being said, TM has been making a lot of poor marketing decisions lately so this is par for the course (pun intended) for them it seems.

I don't begrudge Mark his signing with Titleist. If this helps him support his family and he can continue to be unbiased, it's good for him.

His video bashing TM was in poor form in my opinion, he could have gone about it far differently and gotten the same message across. That being said, TM has been making a lot of poor marketing decisions lately so this is par for the course (pun intended) for them it seems.
I completely agree, at the end of the day I think he's right for being anoyed at TM but sometimes in a professional world you just don't say everything you feel. He could have handled things better.

He clearly states that the Titleist signing is a business decision so I don't see why Taylormade shouldn't be allowed to do the same thing!!! Must be a really slow time in the golf world for this to be much of a story!!

Why would Crossfail expect anything different. His platform is to review clubs. Of course if he is on staff with Titleist he will promote their gear, he ain’t going to bad mouth them.

I side with TM. Crossfield is horrible at what he does imo so him bitching about not getting a club to review is coming off as childish and entitled. As an OEM you have the final say in how you want your product marketed or tested. If there is a person on "staff" with another major OEM competing with you why would I send him anything to review? If he wants to review something that bad, go buy it yourself and quit whining like a kid.

There is a lot in here that makes me chuckle this morning.

I think TM has the right to refuse crossfields request for clubs, h's basically a paid employee for Titleist and even though he says he'll be biased his review is discounted because he's getting paid by another OEM. Smart move in my mind, give the clubs to fans of the brand

Last edited:
Back