Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder Review Thread

I'm more of a fan of the black in sunlight than the red. Thinking on a more cloudy day I'll probably use the red.
It's fun being able to pick.

I'm more of a fan of the black in sunlight than the red. Thinking on a more cloudy day I'll probably use the red.

Me too. However depending on sun location or glare location, I find myself switching.

Nate- Will you be bringing this with you to the Up and Down event? I'm curious to try a range finder. I like my Garmin GPS and for my game I think it's good enough. Nothing worse than watching a guy take time to "range" a shot and not even get close most of the time. I like the fact that as I'm walking and looking at my GPS and the closer I get to my ball I can take one last glance and pull my club and step up and hit.

Nate- Will you be bringing this with you to the Up and Down event? I'm curious to try a range finder. I like my Garmin GPS and for my game I think it's good enough. Nothing worse than watching a guy take time to "range" a shot and not even get close most of the time. I like the fact that as I'm walking and looking at my GPS and the closer I get to my ball I can take one last glance and pull my club and step up and hit.
It's funny you say this, initially it seemed like I was slowing down the group I was with. So I started just going to my GPS. But as I got used to it i find that it's all about being prepared when it's your turn. But an interesting thing I've noted with my short time with a laser. It actually is a good thing for me, cause it puts me in the right frame of mind to focus on the shot at hand. I use it as a trigger to get into my routine. I guess we're all different, but for me it's working. I can't speak to not hitting to the number from the laser, because well the Indian sometimes is at fault :)

Yes sir, it will be! I really think it's a matter of choice with the rangefinder vs GPS. I like the RF because it also allows me to get information off the tee box to certain spots. I like the GPS units that give you front/middle/back readings but sometimes those could be 10-20 yard gaps if it's a big green. But you can try it out in CA to see what you think.

I know this seems intuitive, but today I took a reading. Got the number and then a few steps in various directions. Just to take different readings and see how sensitive the .1 of a yard gets.

No surprise. It reads it. Now, how much does a .1 of a yard mean to us, I don't know but the accuracy is amazing.

I can't imagine playing a round w/o mine. It is so fast and so accurate. I leave the slope on all the time.

I still can't get over how fast this thing is compared to my previous rangefinder. I brought it to the range again today - needed to hit some balls before we get about a week of rain. It was getting later in the afternoon, and for those conditions, it was great to be able to switch to the red - it definitely shows up better. With this device, it's really the collection of little things that makes it great.

I still can't get over how fast this thing is compared to my previous rangefinder. I brought it to the range again today - needed to hit some balls before we get about a week of rain. It was getting later in the afternoon, and for those conditions, it was great to be able to switch to the red - it definitely shows up better. With this device, it's really the collection of little things that makes it great.

So I did a test this weekend between this and my Leupold on a hole for like 5 minutes as I was waiting for groups to come in. Speed was similar until I reached about 160 yards, and to be fair the Tour X was still a fraction faster. At that point however, the Tour X was substantially faster in both locking on a target (partial to user) and calculation of the distance.

160 and in? Or 160 and out? Was there a difference in clarity?

160 and in? Or 160 and out? Was there a difference in clarity?

160 and out. As I moved closer both brands were functioning similarly speed and lock wise, getting further away, the Bushnell shined.

Clarity was similar although I find the Bushnell far easier to adjust.

I'd say that seems right to me - I see bigger differences from longer distances. Even though I wasn't going to hit to all of the flags (it's a range that goes about 180 degrees around, so some were 300+ yards away), I was shooting all of the flags to get some more time with the rangefinder. The far afield targets saw the biggest difference with Callaway branded Nikon, though the speed difference was noticeable even at closer range.

That brings me to another thought - I know blu made the car analolgy earlier, but I see it along the lines of something like a bike. You can make the same trip that you can on a high end bicycle on something you find at Wal-Mart, but it's going to be a much smoother ride at the end of the day on the performance bike. My usual approach is a combination of the GPS watch and the rangefinder, but in the two rounds I've played, I've found myself relying on the GPS less and the rangefinder more. Part of this is because I'm reviewing, but it's largely because that tiny bit of reduced friction adds up to a pretty big difference over the course of 18 holes, depending on the course.

That is pretty spot on actually.

I think it's time to upgrade from the v3.

I think it's time to upgrade from the v3.
After using this one a few times this past weekend i cant say i can blame ya one bit

After using this one a few times this past weekend i cant say i can blame ya one bit
If only I wasn't so damn cheap.

Or broke as hell from Disney.

Enjoying the reviews, keep up the great work. I've never used a rangefinder and the "play as" slope feature sounds pretty cool.

Nate,
Add me to the list of peeps that want to check out your Tour X in a couple of weeks.

This thread. This is a damn fine testing.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but I find it pretty cool that Bushnell has both the Zipper and the bungee pull over band for the carrying case. When I'm not at the course or range I keep it zipped. However when I'm in the use it mode I just keep the band wrapped over to keep it secure. Not sure that's the intended use or not, but it works well.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but I find it pretty cool that Bushnell has both the Zipper and the bungee pull over band for the carrying case. When I'm not at the course or range I keep it zipped. However when I'm in the use it mode I just keep the band wrapped over to keep it secure. Not sure that's the intended use or not, but it works well.

I do the exact same thing.

I also do the same. Keeps the other cap safe, and reminds me that I haven't put the rangefinder back in the case so I'm less likely to leave it at the course

I also do the same. Keeps the other cap safe, and reminds me that I haven't put the rangefinder back in the case so I'm less likely to leave it at the course

I do the exact same thing.

Id say great minds think alike, but I'm not sure I would qualify haha

Back